Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry fire?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Dry fire?

I got my TCP738 today. Haven't shot it yet. I'm wondering but haven't seen it in the manual. Is dry fire OK.....within reason?
    If i'm dressed, I'm armed.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    639 times

Re: Dry fire?

I would get some .380 snap caps off eBay for dry fire.

Edit: I forgot to say congratulations! The 380 is a fine ccw.
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 3rd Gen (Stainless)
    Taurus TCP 738 Stainless (D)
    Taurus 24/7 G2 .45 ACP Standard 4.2" (Stainless)
    Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm Standard 4.2" (Stainless)
    Taurus PT-24/7 OSS DS .45 ACP Tactical (Black)
    Taurus PT-24/7 Pro C DS .45 ACP (Stainless)
    Taurus PT-24/7 Pro C DS 9mm (Stainless)
    EAA SAR B6P 4.5"
    SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
    Ruger KSR9 - KSR9c - KSR40 - KSR40c

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by gatchelguy
    I got my TCP738 today. Haven't shot it yet. I'm wondering but haven't seen it in the manual. Is dry fire OK.....within reason?
    No I wouldn't chance it, use the snap caps and then dry fire sparingly, I dry fired my PF9 with good snap caps and the firing pin broke you better make sure the gun is operable after a dry fire drill you wouldn't want any surprises.

Tom j.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

One more thing: the TCP doesn't have a true DAO pull, so you have to rack the slide each time you pull the trigeer while dry firing. So load up the mag with snap-caps!

My opinion only (so take it for what it's worth): if you're going to dry-fire for practicing trigger and front sight control, do it on a weapon where you can pull a long, heavy trigger every time without having to rack the slide (I use either my Sig 226 or S&W 6906) -- the TCP's trigger (though long) is very smooth and light, so I don't think you'd get as much value out of dry-firing the TCP as you would with another weapon with a heavier DA pull. Just my $0.02.

Member #
    Liked
    2577 times

You are right about the 738 not being a "true" DAO. The trigger is pre-loaded when the slide racks back and that is what gives it the long but easy trigger pull. By dry firing (using snap caps) you not only continue to smooth out the TCP's trigger but you also learn about the notch in its motion. Once you learn to consistently find that notch, the trigger is very much like a two-stage trigger where you pull to the notch and then the trigger is very much like a Single Action (SA) trigger. You will only find this notch with a lot of dry firing. This can significantly improve your accuracy with the TCP. With my 738 I can put all 7 rounds (6+1, what you would typically carry) in the head of a B-27 silhouette target at 25 feet with little effort. I also practice hitting the chest, shoulder, elbows and crotch. If I find a full silhouette target, I'll practice knees and hips. I'm finding the lower body parts to be more difficult to consistently hit than the head. BTW, I picked up this little target trick from practicing with the German Police when I was stationed in Germany.

You should use snap caps because without any resistance on the other end of the firing pin, the hammer will strike against the frame leading to major issues over time. I make my own snap caps by loading a bullet (same type and OAL as what I carry) in a unprimered (and empty) case and then filling the primer hole with hot glue and trimming flush. This lasts a long time and is very easy to replace, if it wears out.

Also, take a snap cap to the range and randomly insert it into a magazine so you learn how to deal with a misfire. Just like in Basic Training, Slap (the magazine to insure its firmly seated), Rack (the slide), Pat (the slide to make sure its all the way forward) and then aim and fire. Man, its been a long time, I hope I got those terms right.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

According to the Taurus web site FAQs, you can dry fire any one except the .22 caliber.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Page 08 of the maual that came with the TCP says dri firing is bad for this firearm. Snap caps get you by that problem. A cheap investment.

But then again, they suggest you don't carry it with a loaded chamber.

So you've got to make your own decision.
    Some fireamrs can safely be dry fired, center fire that is not rim fire.

Snap caps eliminate the question.
    Pete

Member #
    Liked
    344 times

This may apply to the 738 also.
    I have found that you don't have to fully cycle the slide on my 709 and pt145 to reset the trigger. If I pull the slide backabout 3/4 of an inch the trigger resets. There will be an audible click when it resets.

SteveB
    SteveB

There is no higher compliment to be paid someone but to say that they are unusual.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

[quote=papadelta ]
    Page 08 of the maual that came with the TCP says dri firing is bad for this firearm. Snap caps get you by that problem. A cheap investment.

I thought the manual said ok to dry fire but on rereading, you're right, they say it's bad. I like to use snap caps because every moving part including magazine, extractor, slide etc gets worn in almost like "live fire" but way cheaper.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by papadelta

But then again, they suggest you don't carry it with a loaded chamber.

So you've got to make your own decision.
    Some fireamrs can safely be dry fired, center fire that is not rim fire.

Snap caps eliminate the question.
    messed up previous quote

I thought the manual said ok to dry fire but on rereading, you're right, they say it's bad. I like to use snap caps because every moving part including magazine, extractor, slide etc gets worn in almost like "live fire" but way cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links