Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Is no 8 rd mags for the 738 / TCP definite or is it a "maybe?"

Any word on whether or not Taurus is going to produce 8 rd mags for the 738 / TCPs?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times

Re: Is no 8 rd mags for the 738 / TCP definite or is it a "maybe?"

There is good reason to believe not about the 8 round mags. Here's why.

Taurus USA finished or is finishing up it's run of TCPs.
    Taurus USA has released the news that the PT708 in .380ACP is or going to be available very soon. The PT740 in .40 S&W is due for it's debut at the same time.

Since the PT708 carries one cartridge more than the TCP, who's final manufacture run in the USA is nearly finished, there seems little reason for an 8 rounder for the TCP to be forth coming.

We've had indications in both directions for the production of a 8 round magazine. However after talking to Customer Service,a different person each time, and 3 times at that, the cosensus seemed to be no.

The Taurus 2045 was being waited on by many and that model bit the dust before being released. That's even after all the hype and hoopala that Taurus put out over the last year for that model.

Yes, Taurus could reverse things and actually put out something in a 8 round guise.

One of the reasons not to has to do with distribution and cataloging supplies.

First. Everything or just about all parts and guns being fixed come and go by ship. That takes red tape, space available, and ties up vast resources.

With all the new models Taurus has put out or will there is just so much space and time to ship things in. All the gun parts and accessories come from overseas.

What to ship and when, and what space available to ship and store these all is a logistics nightmare. Yes, the plant in Florida might avert some of that, but not that much.

Second: Parts for Taurus pistols seem to be hard to find. Magazines included. Especially for certain models and quite a few at that. When will those come in?

CS has no idea. Someone does know, but up the chain of command no one is letting us in on that. It would be nice if we did know.

For now it is wait and see. Procure what magazines you can and hold onto them. I am not advocating hoarding in any way. However a few extra magazines, which are the weak link for every brand, make, and model of gun out there, are a good thing to have.

Here's a for instance for you.

I have a SIG P6 or 225 in civilian parlance. Factory produced mags are hard to find online, at gun shows, or even at other sources. Those magazines that can be found and are original cost over $45. Closer to $50 dollars or over.

Those are still scarce. One wag at another and larger gun forum let it be known that SIG has produced a run of P6 or 225 8 round magazines and still has them for sale. Nice, huh? Until you see the price! Price: $54.00 That's for just one.

THe wag had suggested getting a SIG P6 or 225 used over a Taurus new pistol. I rebutted that silly nonsense. Parts availability,etc., and other problems.

The OP then went and bought a Taurus pistol and was satisfied with it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw
    Taurus USA finished or is finishing up it's run of TCPs.
    Taurus USA has released the news that the PT708 in .380ACP is or going to be available very soon. The PT740 in .40 S&W is due for it's debut at the same time.

Since the PT708 carries one cartridge more than the TCP, who's final manufacture run in the USA is nearly finished, there seems little reason for an 8 rounder for the TCP to be forth coming.
    Are you implying that there will no more production of the TCP738?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

The TCP and 708 are two classes of 380 handguns IMO. The TCP is a pocket carry and the 708 is not. The TCP weights 10 oz. and the 708 weights 19 oz. The 708 OAL is 6.24" which is not really in the class of a pocket carry .380 like the small TCP is.

I really cannot believe that Taurus would even consider stopping production of a popular pocket handgun like the TCP which is really competing very well with the Kel Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP.

Is the market there for a large framed .380 that the Slim 708 is? I know I won't buy one.

All I want is the larger capacity magazine that Taurus stated would be available when I purchased my TCP.

At least they could manufacture and release more spare 6 rd. mags so that I and others could purchase more to have on hand.

Ron
    I belong to the new AARP.
    My AARP card stands for Armed And Really Pissed

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Why in the world would Taurus stop production of the TCP? It's gotten great reviews and is selling well. It does not really compete directly with the (soon to be released) 708.

Heck, I'd never buy the 708. What we have here is the age old issue, balancing power against concealablility. The 380 ACP round is as small as I'm willing to go, and then only to get a truly small form factor. Why the heck would I want to use a 380 in the sme form factor that I can get a .40 S&W?

The reason that the TCP sells is not because it's a 380 ACP, but because it's a 380 ACP in a tiny form factor. Increase the size of the form factor (a la 70 and the 380 ACP round becomes far less attractive vs more powerful rounds in the same form factor.
    24/7 .45 OSS
    24/7 .45 Pro DS
    24/7 .45 Pro DS C
    PT145 Mil Pro
    PT738 TCP

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

Member #
    Liked
    5663 times

These are the exact reason that i feel Taurus produces way to many different weapons!
    I am sure that there are some very smart people making decisions at Taurus but in my mind the more weapons that can utilize the same parts the better the company is!
    you only need to stock a reduced number of parts and availabilty should improve dramatically!
    remember years ago when chevy, cadilliac, buick, pontiac all had different engines, transmissions, etc!
    each factory, dealer had to stock many different parts, in recent years regardless of brand they have the same basic parts except the sheet metal!
    the new Chevy Camaro has a cadilliac v-6 engine and tranny in it!
    as for replacing the 738 i don't think so!
    actually i retired a perfectly good Bersa Thunder 380 to get the smaller size of the 738 in a 380 pistol!
    Now why would i buy a larger 380 on the 709 frame when i can get a Bersa for less money?
    and in my opinion just as good of a weapon.
    there are just to many good 380's on the market in the 709 frame size!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Yes, and why get a .380 the same size as the 709 that is 9mm. Same size weapon with a less powerful cartridge. I don't think so.

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times

What is said is that stateside production is winding down or coming to a close for the TCP. Taurus HAS NOT said that ALL production of the TCP is going to stop.It might, but Taurus has not said production will stop on that particular model. They are unlikely to shoot themsleves in the foot by doing so.

However Taurus only has so much space for manufacturing all these old and new models.
    Taurus is going to manufacture Poly22s and Poly25s at the stateside facility for sure.

If anything else is being manufactured stateside remains to be seen. If that news is released, then no problem.

As for the .380ACP the case can be made and has been in the archives as to why it makes a good round for many for CCW and defense. I can go dig that all out if need be.

For those of you who do not like the .380ACP cartridge,fine. There other pistol cartridges that fit your needs and no more needs to be said about that.

AS for the size of the TCP versus the 708, yes, there is a major difference. Let's not forget that the Bersa and Walther .380s are not too large, but not too small. Nor are they subcompacts. They are easier to shoot for the most part than the smaller Ruger LCP, Taurus 738, and the like.

There are many people who carry Bersa and Walther .380s, can use them well, and are decently protected by them. Same goes for the TCP. Yes, it is a smaller gun.

The first rule is to have a gun. One that you can shoot well. That's something we should all be able to agree on. The TCP and 700 series cover that.

There are those of us who can carry full size or medium frame guns. Some of us can't or won't. Rule 1 is to have a gun. The compacts and subcompacts allow us to do that.

As long as we who carry smaller guns than full size, realize the limitations of what we carry and our own limitations, then there is little or no problem.

So let's wait and see what Taurus does.

For those who want a DAO subcompact the TCP is still out there and probably will be for the forseeable future.

Want a light crisp SA/DA trigger right from the start that the Bersa and other traditional DA/SA pistols do not have? Then the 708 will fit the bill.

Bersa and Walther have to transition from the hard DA trigger pull to the light SA trigger pull. Don't have to do that with the Taurus products. The trigger pull is the same shot for shot, each time.

If the traditional DA/SA triggers guns are your cup of tea,fine.
    If you like light same DAO or SA/DA trigger pulls that's just fine too.

Me? I like and own both trigger types. The light DAO and SA/DA triggers are spoiling me though.

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times

Oh,yes. There is a bullet velocity gain for the 708 over the TCP. Not a large advantage to be sure, but it is there.

Some people will find shooting the 708 is much easier than the TCP due to size and more grip available versus the two models as well. If shooting one model better makes one more proficient and confident then I see no problem.

If you shoot the TCP just fine, no problem. There are those of us who shoot the slightly larger guns better than the true pocket guns. Yes,some can carry a 709 in a pocket, but let's stay on track. The 700 series is easier to shoot normally than the smaller TCP. That's partly why I bought a 709 in 9x19. Having the more powerful cartridge is something I feel is well reasoned out.

There are also those for who the .380ACP with it's less recoil is the way to go for them. If the 708 helps soak up some of the recoil impulse, the extra round is bonus or felt to be needed then do not fault the shooters who go that way.

I won't. No reason to do that.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Since Crimson Trace has delayed the release of their laser for the TCP738, I wonder if they know something we don't.
    I own both a PT709 and a TCP738 and pocket carry both of them, the smaller one when I'm jogging or bicycling. I don't understand why Taurus would want to give up such a lucritive market so quickly. They can't keep them in stock around here and I find them superior to the Ruger LCP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links