Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

709 Slim 9mm+p velocities

Has any one on here ever ran 124gr 9mm+p's out of a PT709 thru a chronograph ??
    I'm thinking about getting a snubnosed .357 mag ( 1 7/8" - 2" ) but I have doubts that it would be much more powerful than my little ol Slim with +p's , any help is appreciated .

Thank You

Member #
    Liked
    427 times

Re: 709 Slim 9mm+p velocities

I haven't done it personally, but this article indicates that they got a 5 shot average of 1139 fps at 10 ft using a Remington 124gr JHP +P load. (Refer to the table on page 2 of the article.)

I can't put my finger on them at the moment, but I believe I've seen a couple of other articles that seem to support this.
    The Second Amendment: Protecting the Constitution and Freedom since 1791.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I wouldn't advise using +P ammo for the pt709 slim, I've heard of some users' guns exploding from using such ammunition. When I looked in the user manual, it said to use standard 124 grain 9mm.
    My Taurus Firearms

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Battlements
    I wouldn't advise using +P ammo for the pt709 slim, I've heard of some users' guns exploding from using such ammunition. When I looked in the user manual, it said to use standard 124 grain 9mm.
    I've only read of one incident on this or other forums (which I follow religiously) and that was a cop that used +P+ in his and it blew up. I don't use +P on a regular basis, but I've put a couple down range and use it for carry.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

The bottom of page 64 of the 2010 taurus catalog states that all Taururs firearms are rated for +p loads .

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Here's some chrono figures from short 9mm barrels:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9...%20Special.htm

Check out the entire site, it's got a lot of good info.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus Fan
    Here's some chrono figures from short 9mm barrels:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9...%20Special.htm

Check out the entire site, it's got a lot of good info.

Thats one of the best yet !!!!!!

Thank You

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Double Tap shows a very lively round from a S&W.357 1 7/8" ????

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=338

Thanks again for the input !!!!

Member #
    Liked
    4312 times

I see that even the newer Taurus owner manuals have the recommendation of 124 gr. at not over 1225 fps.

So there is this for common sense approach.

While +P is recommended by Taurus for their firearms it is prudent no to go over the line on that with that bullet weight or any other for that matter.

Doing so puts enormous pressures on the gun and moving parts for which this gun was not designed for or are needed. In otherwords keeping the velocity of the round for a 9mm. out of a 4inch or 5 inch barrel, which most rounds are made for, would be okay at the 1225 feet per second velocity. That is the PT709 should be able to handle those.

There are some caveats to this.

For example Black Hills makes several loads that are 1300 plus feet per second screamer loads. Other ammo makers have some as well. While these work well in the larger semi auto pistols there is no need to use them, or +P+, in the PT709.

Too much wear and tear on a finiciky ( all subcompacts and compacts are like this) pistol of this type is not a good idea. Why do that. Not to say that all +P should be avoided totally. Just that there is not that much need for it out of a shorty barreled pistol.

Other reasoning on this is to follow.

Then there is the diminishing law of returns.

Out of a shorty barrel most of the +P advantage is lost. Most of the energy that would be imparted into the velocity is burned up outside the PT709.

There will be a slim advantage in velocity, but not enough to make most +P loads that much more effectivethan standard pressure loads. There are some minor exceptions to this.

Speer Gold Dot shorty barreled and some Buffalo Bore rounds come to mind. There might be a few others.

Since those rounds are made with newer lower pressure, but get higher velocity without the kick of other +Ps, then you have a winner. Not that much of one, but better than standard +P offerings.

So combine what the manual and the catalog say about +P and there should be little trouble. There are plenty of +P loads that equal tor near the 1225 fps ballpark.

As a personal choice I will either use the shorty +P barreled ammo or just standard pressure ammo to get the job done.

Newer bullets over the last even three or so decades have been engineered to expand at about 670-720 feet per second. New designs offer better perfomance than most older offerings. There are a few exceptions to this.

So chose wisely and carry in confidence.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Say whatever you like...you would be well advised to call Taurus and talk to them about shooting plus P in the PT709 before you do it!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links