Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT709: Do striker springs get weak from being in the cocked position?

I realize this question has been going on for years, mostly about whether magazine springs get weak (set) from keeping a magazine fully loaded for a long time, or whether they only get weak from expansion and compression.
    What about striker springs in the fully cocked position, like on the PT709 with a chambered round? Some say it will weaken the spring, while others say the spring only gets weaker from being used.
    Are there any educated answers out there?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2173 times

Re: PT709: Do striker springs get weak from being in the cocked position?

I would say, no they do not. My 9mm 24/7 Pro and .45 24/7 OSS have been kept Cocked/Loaded with a Round in the Chamber, for extended periods of time, with no problems with their Striker Springs. Have not heard of any such problems on Glocks or Springfield XD's, either. Not a problem with 1911's kept Cocked and Locked for extended periods of time, either. In my opinion, Striker Springs will only wear out with full cycling, not compression.

As preventive maintenance, I would replace Magazine, Striker and Recoil Springs every 10,000 rounds, whether they need it or not. But that's just me!
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Everything have read states that the cycling is what wears out or weakens the springs, not extended times of compression.
    My wife calls me Leonard, if youve watched "Full Metal Jacket" you may understand.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Think about this: What wears out a paperclip? Does the paperclip wear out when you put it on a couple of sheets of paper and leave it? Does it wear out when you flex it back and forth a few times?

Think about this now: Take a paperclip and bend the clip into an "S" and then put it on the table. If you come back in a week will it have broken? Not if you haven't touched it. Same idea with springs. If you compress it and leave it alone no further wear will occur.
    In a world of talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links