First 50 rounds in my new TCP. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: First 50 rounds in my new TCP.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I, too, had the same problem as the originator of the thread. I had thoroughly cleaned the gun prior to firing, as always do with a new firearm, and wondered why I was having the problem. I cleaned it a second time, leaving a little more lube in than before. Worked fine for one magazine, but FTF during the second. The more I continued firing, the more the problem occurred. I disassembled the pistol and looked closely at the workings where I saw fine copper dust accumulating on the lock-back tang that is pressed by the magazine follower. Hmmm. I slowly inserted a fully loaded magazine, without the slide installed, and noticed that the bullet tip was slightly making contact with the tang, which seemed to cause the cartridge not to feed properly and to lock the slide back with a loaded magazine. I took a small fine file and shaped the lock-back tang to conform to the shape of the bullet tip. Problem solved. I have never experienced an FTF since. Careful on the filing though, the TCP is a small firearm without much in the way of clearances. If you remove too much of the tang, the lock-back feature will likely not function.
    Last edited by keibau; 12-18-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    18006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelywind View Post
    I totally understand, and agree. I know that my TCP initially had issues, but they smoothed out for me. Not everyone is having such luck, so I guess I'm fortunate in that respect. And I've looked at the Sig, maybe some day when I'm rich and famous, I'll get one.
    I'm don't know?
    I wouldn't say that you are fortunate.
    My point is that for the person that might buy a weapon and rely on it, only to find that it does not work correctly (hopefully not in a self defense situation) may likely not have the ability to define the problem /repair or even notice the problem until its in use.
    I have several Taurus firearms that have been reliable like two 24/7 C Pro D/S, a 1911 in Alloy frame, a duo tone 1911 and had a 709 that ran perfectly, unfortunately I could not hit a bull in the butt with that gun.
    I have a model 99 thats well north of 10,000 rounds as well.
    its just the other 5 that have been problem children and the reason that I do not recommend the brand to others.
    so I agree there are lots out there that work fine I am sure, but many times its like getting a bad M & M you don't know it till you bite into it.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Quote Originally Posted by forgottenone View Post
    HappyTom, thanks for sharing your information and videos. I'm definitely going to "stay around". Heck, I'm a veteran Kel-Tec owner. I think Kel-Tec owners originated the "Fluff & Buff" treatment. I've never had a Kel-Tec that was as finicky as this TCP, right off the bat. I was hoping that Taurus had worked the kinks out by now. I'm optimistic that the TCP kinks can be banished. I really like the feel of this little pocket pistol, over the Kel-Tec and Ruger offerings. This forum is a tremendous resource for Taurus owners.
    You are Welcome.. if you search the forums.. you'll find more old posts from others here that also that will be of use to you. I've heard good things about Kel-Tec before... and like Taurus some bad things. The majority of time (and this is my opinion) people confuse price with functionality... and also like any mass produced product.. your going to have bad apples out of the bunch.. I don't care how great your quality assurance is in the manufacturing process... and that also is true with higher price firearms. As with my TCP 738FS, I'm glad that I was able to learn and fix the small issues.. and now it it 100% nominal.

Because I live in South Carolina, I can carry this in my car as long as it is locked in the case in the glove box or trunk. I can also carry this in my front or backyard as my property is considered "my house", and I usually do carry either the TCP 738FS, or the Taurus PT22 (.22LR) in a pocket holster. A lot of people do not feel like either / or of these guns are good at the range, but I don't. They are both my range and carry guns as I can shoot either or.. and hit my target center mass as 7 / 15 / or 25 yards out. I may not have dime sized groups, because my eye sight is not the greatest anymore.. but I can land those rounds in the center of the target, or the head of the target.

Now that I am on a roll... two other things that I bought that I really like for accessories:

The Pachmayr Tactical grip glove: https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Glov.../dp/B004NKY6B2

And also, one one of my magazines, the Pearce Grips, Grip Extensions: https://www.amazon.com/Pearce-Grips-...HBP69RYAYH5AVZ

I recommend that if you do buy the grip extensions that you put one, on just one of your magazine and keep the other as is. The pro's is that you have extra purchase on the handle of the gun, but you loose the conceal factor.. just a little bit. I hope you have a great upcoming holiday! :-)
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Well sir, it will take more than you have posted to "piss you off a bit". I've been around myself a few years. Over 70 to be exact.

This may piss you off a bit, but if you spend any time on the Kel-Tec forum, you may find many, many references to "fluff and buff". The term is not an insult. It's a description of the actions taken to get small semi-automatic pistols to run reliably. I've been rather fond of my Kel-Tecs, Kahrs, Rugers and now the Taurus TCP. Reality is that the smaller the pistol, the smaller the tolerances. That's why some of them need fluffing and buffing.
    I think you may have missed my point, and the fact that I was being tongue-in-cheek (my fault, no doubt, as I posted that in haste). What I was trying to convey is that my 17-year-old P32 has been an absolute wonder. No "fluff and buff" has ever been needed, and yet the damn little thing has never missed a beat in all these years. I, too, love little pistols--I've own Kahrs, Kel-Tecs, and Rugers, too--and understand that some of them need a little TLC...check out what I've posted about getting my TCP reliable. But the P32, besides infrequent cleaning, is ridiculously low maintenance. Those early P32s have a bad rep, but I lucked out and got a real jewel.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My little blaster lacks nothing in the accuracy department. BUT, I didn't plan on it being a single shot pistol. I have 100 rounds through it. Three mags at a time is enough.

I've cleaned and cleaned. Polished and polished. Filed and filed. Changing my grip seemed to help. It fooled me for a couple of mags, of Fiocchi. Then back to the same old, same old.

I think I need more words of encouragement!!!

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Might be time for a trip to the warranty center. Shooting 380 ammo to fix it gets expensive.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11252 times
    I have an "A" model TCP. I only shoot it 3 or 4 times a year. Pocket 380s are made to be carried often and shot rarely. Range time includes a mag of SD ammo just because, and about 50 to 100 reloads. I had trouble getting a consistant grip until I added a Pachmayr Tac Grip. Now, I can go from pocket to shooting position without any fumbling around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CJS3; 01-11-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    My little blaster lacks nothing in the accuracy department. BUT, I didn't plan on it being a single shot pistol. I have 100 rounds through it. Three mags at a time is enough.

I've cleaned and cleaned. Polished and polished. Filed and filed. Changing my grip seemed to help. It fooled me for a couple of mags, of Fiocchi. Then back to the same old, same old.

I think I need more words of encouragement!!!
    A question for you... if you load "two rounds only" in the magazine, rack the slide and fire out that first round..
    1) does the slide stay open?
    2) is the 2nd round stuck like on a slant half way into the chamber? Or is that 2nd round in the magazine still and has not moved at all into the chamber?
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTom View Post
    A question for you... if you load "two rounds only" in the magazine, rack the slide and fire out that first round..
    2) is the 2nd round stuck like on a slant half way into the chamber? Or is that 2nd round in the magazine still and has not moved at all into the chamber?
    I hope to try out the two round exercise either tomorrow, or Friday. I'll post the results.

Yesterday, the slide locked back on most rounds. A few rounds tried to chamber, but then I had to bump the slide, to get it into battery.

Member #
    Liked
    18006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTom View Post

what ammo are you using Forgotten 1??
    sounds like a nose profile problem possibly??
    the ammo's, not your nose!!!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links