First 50 rounds in my new TCP. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: First 50 rounds in my new TCP.

  1. #11
    Member
    Member #
    55761
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    43
    Liked
    32 times
    Great stuff. Looks like I have a project for the winter.

    This forum has been a godsend, precisely because of threads like this one.
    GhostHorse and HappyTom like this.

  2. #12
    Member
    Member #
    55761
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    43
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by forgottenone View Post
    Heck, I'm a veteran Kel-Tec owner. I think Kel-Tec owners originated the "Fluff & Buff" treatment.
    Sorry, but I'm gonna have to piss you off a bit. I bought a Kel-Tec P32 when they first came out (1999) based on very little research and primarily because, as an LEO, I needed a light, smallish pistol that could double as a BUG and for light carry off duty. I know all about the problems people have reported on the early-run Kel-Tecs, but mine has been an absolute champ. Not a single malfunction in 17 years, with the sole exception being the Underwood Extreme Cavitator rounds that it refused to feed last month (which isn't much of a criticism...my Seecamp, which is the Old Faithful of my carry guns, hates the Underwoods too). People tell me about all the problems with Kel-Tec pistols, and I just snicker.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Member #
    55402
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Liked
    25 times
    I also have a "D" series TCP, and had a few FTEs in the first 50 rounds. That was after a good scrub and lube before anything was fired. I also purchased two extra mags, and I did load 'em up and leave them for a couple of days to exercise the springs. Most of the suggested fixes had already been done to my "D" series, but I did do a good feed ramp polish with a Dremel tool, as well as polished up the block on the slide. I am pleased to report that after having done all of the above, after 250 rounds of different ammo ranging from FMJ to JHP and a few Critical Defense rounds to boot, I have had 100% reliability. So there definitely seems to be a break-in period.
    HappyTom and olfarhors like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Junior Member
    Member #
    55690
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Sorry, but I'm gonna have to piss you off a bit. I bought a Kel-Tec P32 when they first came out (1999) based on very little research and primarily because, as an LEO, I needed a light, smallish pistol that could double as a BUG and for light carry off duty. I know all about the problems people have reported on the early-run Kel-Tecs, but mine has been an absolute champ. Not a single malfunction in 17 years, with the sole exception being the Underwood Extreme Cavitator rounds that it refused to feed last month (which isn't much of a criticism...my Seecamp, which is the Old Faithful of my carry guns, hates the Underwoods too). People tell me about all the problems with Kel-Tec pistols, and I just snicker.
    Well sir, it will take more than you have posted to "piss you off a bit". I've been around myself a few years. Over 70 to be exact.

    This may piss you off a bit, but if you spend any time on the Kel-Tec forum, you may find many, many references to "fluff and buff". The term is not an insult. It's a description of the actions taken to get small semi-automatic pistols to run reliably. I've been rather fond of my Kel-Tecs, Kahrs, Rugers and now the Taurus TCP. Reality is that the smaller the pistol, the smaller the tolerances. That's why some of them need fluffing and buffing.
    Silverbullit likes this.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Member #
    34305
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SW Washington
    Posts
    270
    Liked
    244 times
    Actually, fluff n buff is made necessary more due to piss poor fit and finish than to small size. Never had to run a dremel on my sig p238's. Where as ALL my keltec's required it.
    ArmedDefender and olfarhors like this.

  7. #16
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    45607
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,138
    Liked
    739 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lchaim View Post
    Actually, fluff n buff is made necessary more due to piss poor fit and finish than to small size. Never had to run a dremel on my sig p238's. Where as ALL my keltec's required it.
    For a .380 that costs anywhere from $520 to $700 (twice the price of the Kel-Tec, and almost three times the price of the TCP), I'd hope I didn't have to run a dremel on it either.
    Silverbullit likes this.
    Taurus PT738 TCP / PT111 G2 / PT-22 / 85
    Ruger LC9s / Hi-Point 995TS
    Hi-Standard M-101 Dura-Matic
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 LR 6"
    NRA Member - KSRA Member - KS CCHL holder
    "Ad astra per aspera!"

  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Member #
    11801
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    26,020
    Liked
    16170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelywind View Post
    For a .380 that costs anywhere from $520 to $700 (twice the price of the Kel-Tec, and almost three times the price of the TCP), I'd hope I didn't have to run a dremel on it either.
    Exactly why I paid more for the Sig, plus hopefully will be reliable IF I need to use it as well, not to mention the accuracy and comfort of shooting the weapon, but as to price lets see now I have 2 Bersa, a sig 238, my wife has a Tisas 380 and the only one that needed a fluff and buff was the TCP.
    now everyone is different and I am sure some run just fine out of the box, mine didn't, matter fact had to go back to the Miami station.
    the main reason that everyone is different is that there isn't a lot of quality control in a 200 dollar product, regardless of gun brand.
    lonelywind likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1335
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    11,193
    Liked
    3687 times
    You cannot expect a $1000.00 gun and a $200.00 dollar gun to be the same quality. Just not going to happen.
    lonelywind and olfarhors like this.

  10. #19
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    45607
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,138
    Liked
    739 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Exactly why I paid more for the Sig, plus hopefully will be reliable IF I need to use it as well, not to mention the accuracy and comfort of shooting the weapon, but as to price lets see now I have 2 Bersa, a sig 238, my wife has a Tisas 380 and the only one that needed a fluff and buff was the TCP.
    now everyone is different and I am sure some run just fine out of the box, mine didn't, matter fact had to go back to the Miami station.
    the main reason that everyone is different is that there isn't a lot of quality control in a 200 dollar product, regardless of gun brand.
    I totally understand, and agree. I know that my TCP initially had issues, but they smoothed out for me. Not everyone is having such luck, so I guess I'm fortunate in that respect. And I've looked at the Sig, maybe some day when I'm rich and famous, I'll get one.
    olfarhors and Silverbullit like this.
    Taurus PT738 TCP / PT111 G2 / PT-22 / 85
    Ruger LC9s / Hi-Point 995TS
    Hi-Standard M-101 Dura-Matic
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 LR 6"
    NRA Member - KSRA Member - KS CCHL holder
    "Ad astra per aspera!"

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Member #
    34305
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SW Washington
    Posts
    270
    Liked
    244 times
    You can get a p238 2tone for under $500. 290rs around $400. It comes in .380 and 9mm. Run the cheaper guns while you are saving up for the better quality. Or look for a new Ruger lcp2. They're coming in for about the same as the keltec's, and brings the quality of way more expensive pieces.
    I just happened to make the mistake of blessing my wife with the Sig she wanted, and ended up falling in love with the brand. And their polymer framed models are very affordable, while still maintaining the quality that Sig is famous for.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What .380 rounds have you used in your TCP?
    By TMartinez in forum Factory Loads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
  4. 500 Rounds through my TCP
    By boykinhntr in forum The 700's
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 05:26 AM