Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

24/7 Pro C 9mm Range Report - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Just took my new 24/7 Pro C 9mm to the range today. (Also shot it next to a Glock 26 and Sig P-239.)

Here's what happened:

The Good: I can't really compare it to the Sig (all steel, external hammer) because it's a totally different animal. Let's just say that the Sig, while it is well designed and beautifully constructed, did not shoot as well as the Taurus or the Glock. I just didn't mesh with the trigger and never could get a good grouping from it. It's price, bulk, and weight just don't lend itself to be the type of pistol I want for carry. Now, compared to other compact polymer framed pistols (including the Glock 26 I tested today), in the ergonomics department the Taurus wins hands down. It is as comfortable, if not more so, than my Walther P-99 and that's sayin' something. I was also amazed at the low felt recoil of the compact 24/7 -- I thought I was shooting a .380 ACP! Very impressive. The Glock, while manageable, was bulky and snappy in comparison. The 24/7 slide was easy to work and the pistol was surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel. The Glock was also accurate. However, the Glock is at least $150 more than the Taurus -- yet another win for the 24/7. And finally, the Taurus Lifetime Warranty offers peace of mind. I haven't hadn't to use it on any of my other pistols but am glad to know it is available for this one...

The Bad: Take-down. As I mentioned on another thread, you have to pull the disassembly latch out (which, on my brand new 24/7 takes a lot of work because it's in there pretty tight) -- I don't like having to keep track of a small black part that can easily get lost depending on the circumstance. Then, when re-assembling you have to remember to move the barrel fully forward in the slide otherwise you'll be pushing that latch until kingdom come and it won't go in. So my hands must simultaneously hold the frame in a safe and ergonomic position while fingers are inserting the latch and other fingers are maneuvering the barrel into the proper position -- not impossible, but not as easy as several other polymer pistols on the market. The other bad: Heine sights. Not that this couldn't become a "good" but, for now, I'm more comfortable with traditional 3 dot sights. If there was no "ugly" yet to come, then these two "bad" items would hardly keep me from stocking this firearm as one of my preferred concealed carry pistols...

The Ugly: My first 7 shots were flawless. However, on the 8th shot the trigger pulled, the striker fired, and the bullet stayed in the casing and in the chamber. I thought to myself, "hmmm, my very first factory center-fire misfire." -- Not so unfortunately. I removed the cartridge and there was a dimple on the primer. I loaded the cartridge in the Sig and it fired. This same phenomenon occurred no less than 7 times in random intervals over 50 rounds of both Winchester and Remington bulk factory ammunition. The remaining dimpled cartridges were removed from the 24/7 and discharged without flaw out of the Glock. You have no idea how disappointed I am Obviously, I cannot trust my life to a firearm that reminisces of Russian Roulette. I know that every manufacturer has it's lemons. And this is probably one of them. But this is a pretty darn big lemon. This will be my first firearm to ship back to Taurus for repair...then I'll need at least 500 rounds through it without fail before I can trust it. I'm certain there are other 24/7's that have been flawless over 5000 rounds. Mine barely made it past 5

Has anyone else encountered this problem in any other Taurus (or other manufactured striker fired pistols)? If so, what exactly is this problem and is it an easy fix? Any shortcuts or tips for dealing with customer support? Things you would have liked to have known or done in dealing with Taurus before shipping?
    Taurus Guns: PT-938, PT-24/7 Pro C 9MM Titanium
    Rossi Guns: Model 92 Stainless .357 Mag (x2)
    Taurus Wish-list: PT-1911 4" in 9MM, Something in 5.7x28MM
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: 24/7 Pro C 9mm Range Report - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Predecessor, good, thorough review. I've got a couple suggestions and comments that might put you at ease.

First, regarding the takedown pin...yes I agree that it is a pain to keep track of, and I'm very happy that Taurus has gotten rid of it in the 800 series autos. Here's a tip for the removal. Once you have removed the magazine and lock the side back, rotate the pin 90 degrees CW as you normally would. Then rack the slide again (it won't move forward all the way) and lock it back again. This action pops out the pin just enough to get a good grip on it. Rotate it back 90 degrees CCW and it will pop out even more so you can wiggle it out. They actually recommend this in the manual...but I had to read it like 5 times before I understood what they meant. For reassembly, I'd suggest you insert it with the barrel pointed down...this will keep it in place.

Now...the misfires. DON'T SHIP IT BACK YET. Many other users on the forum and I have had the same problem with brand new 24/7s. When I first shot mine, I had 12 misfires out of 90 rds, and I was pretty disappointed as well. The second time I shot it, I had 5 misfires out of 150 rds. I'm now at 850 rds, and the last 500 rds have been misfire free. I am not disappointed anymore. I'm not sure if it has to do with all the grease that they pack or what, but it seems like many 24/7s need a sort of "break-in" period. I'd suggest you give it a little range time and a couple thorough cleanings before you send it back for repair.

One thing I can tell you though, you WILL love this gun.
    24/7 Pro
    PT92 AF
    Browning Buckmark
    Springfield EMP
    S&W MP15

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bummer. Sorry to hear about your problems. Myself I have never had a problem with a misfire. I reload myself. I have heard of others who reload and their problem was the primer not seated enough. Not sure if this could be a problem since you have new.Have you tried to reload the dimpled ammo back into the Taurus and try them again? The only problem I have had with my 24/7 are the sights, but that is my problem not the pistols.

Rick

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Vismin
    Predecessor, good, thorough review. I've got a couple suggestions and comments that might put you at ease.

First, regarding the takedown pin...yes I agree that it is a pain to keep track of, and I'm very happy that Taurus has gotten rid of it in the 800 series autos. Here's a tip for the removal. Once you have removed the magazine and lock the side back, rotate the pin 90 degrees CW as you normally would. Then rack the slide again (it won't move forward all the way) and lock it back again. This action pops out the pin just enough to get a good grip on it. Rotate it back 90 degrees CCW and it will pop out even more so you can wiggle it out. They actually recommend this in the manual...but I had to read it like 5 times before I understood what they meant. For reassembly, I'd suggest you insert it with the barrel pointed down...this will keep it in place.

Now...the misfires. DON'T SHIP IT BACK YET. Many other users on the forum and I have had the same problem with brand new 24/7s. When I first shot mine, I had 12 misfires out of 90 rds, and I was pretty disappointed as well. The second time I shot it, I had 5 misfires out of 150 rds. I'm now at 850 rds, and the last 500 rds have been misfire free. I am not disappointed anymore. I'm not sure if it has to do with all the grease that they pack or what, but it seems like many 24/7s need a sort of "break-in" period. I'd suggest you give it a little range time and a couple thorough cleanings before you send it back for repair.

One thing I can tell you though, you WILL love this gun.
    Thanks for the suggestion Vismin. I will follow your advice and see what happens. How prevalent is this problem? Your take on the percentage of new 24/7's have this issue?
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by rick_in_lb
    Have you tried to reload the dimpled ammo back into the Taurus and try them again?
    Yes. I pulled the trigger several times (I do like the second strike capability.) Nothing. Ejected the round and reloaded it. Nothing. Put the round in the Glock...bang.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I'm not really sure about a percentage, it seams to be pretty high...but here's a link to another thread that might be worth checking out.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=6587.0

Seams to be at least a couple other users commenting on having the same problem. It's definitely not a preferable thing that they have a higher percentage of misfires in the first couple hundred rounds. From what I have read and experienced, however, it is an awesome and reliable gun after this "break-in period."

I can relate to your experience about trying to fire the same round a number of times. On my first trip to the range with this gun, I had 3 rounds that failed to fire after three strikes in the chamber, were reloaded, misfired again, and then went into my friends PT92, and fired without a problem. It IS frustrating at first, but just give it some time.
    24/7 Pro
    PT92 AF
    Browning Buckmark
    Springfield EMP
    S&W MP15

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Vismin
    Seams to be at least a couple other users commenting on having the same problem...
    Interesting. I followed the thread. Thank you!

I'm not a gunsmith, but mechanically speaking, it seems like removing one of the coils on the striker coil would do the trick as one of the users suggested. Perhaps the coil loosens up over time and then it's a non-issue but it still doesn't explain why it fires sometimes but not others. I called Taurus Customer Support and the agent I spoke with said he had never heard of the problem. This was both good and bad I suppose. Either this problem isn't as widespread as we might believe or folks are choosing to shoot through the "break in" period rather than send to Taurus and inform them of the problem. The Taurus rep said "what kind of gun needs a 'break in' period? No gun should need one," and I told him, "well, apparently this one does." -- so hopefully he passes on the information. In the mean time, I will continue to fire rounds through my 24/7 and see if the problem resolves itself. If not it will go back to Taurus and maybe open some eyes over there.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I as well had the same problem with my pro .45 but it only seemed to happen with cheap monarch ammo which is factory reload from Serbia needles to say i dont buy that anymore however i think the problem comes from the thick packing grease what i did was take some "break-free" i used good old WD-40 its cheaper and i had some 20 feet away from me, and spray a little in the pin channel, then what i did is took the gun to my garage and sprayed the channel with about 20 LBS of air from my compressor and blew out the junk left in there. now i just took a trip to the range last week and my buddy bought some monarchs for his XD45 and some how ammo got mixed up i fired about 100 rounds of monarch without a problem so id say get some lube and air and get the stuff out of the channel before you go and send it back see if that works

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Had the same problem of missfires with my 24/7 pro 45. after 600 rounds and several cleanings I sent it back, They replaced the firing pin mechanism and since I got it back it works perfectly.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times

Every single round I have put in my 24/7 has fired on the first strike. I'm over 1000 rounds now.

I sold my guns because the Government says they are dangerous.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links