Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Keeping new sights in place

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Keeping new sights in place

Hey everyone first timer here, for both taurus and this forum So here goes.

I bought williams adjustable fire sights for my 24/7 pro ds .45 and the back sight is fine because the 2 set screws fall into a preexisting grove but on the front sight the location of the set screw is outside of the sight grove so the set screw just rests on top of the slide pushing up. Can I use super glue to keep the front sight in place like a small dot or thin line on each side of the sight or is there some kind of special sight glue made for this exact situation? Would it also be okay to put a tiny dot of super glue on the fiber optic tube of the sights to make sure it doesn't come out without messing up their visibility?

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Not that I've tried, but Loctite is designed for this purpose, and it is usually a cyanoacrylate like super glue is.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That will help with the screw from coming loose, but how will it help keep the sight in place? Since there is no groove for the front sight set screw to fall into even when you tighten the set screw the sight is still able to move around with enough force.

Member #
    Liked
    13867 times
    I agree with LOCTITE. The BLUE Loctite is the medium strength that can be removed if necessary. Be sure to DE-GREASE the slot and sight base before using the Loctite.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8127 times
    From experience: Don't use JB Weld.............
    Unless you never ever want it to move again...........

Name:  1.1 USA.gif
Views: 237
Size:  14.3 KB
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

Member #
    Liked
    4106 times
    What gbusmech said about JB Weld...yeah. I've used it for decades. The stuff'll probably outlast the Great Pyramid.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I to had this problem with the Williams sights. After about 100 rounds the fiber fell out while shooting. Put another pc. in and the same thing happened. It just kept shearing off the ends after install. I finally put some glue on it to help it stay in. alittle goes along way.

As for the sight moving side to side, if you have access to a mill or a good drill press with a vise you can spot drill the slide were the set screw rests. this makes a small detent for the screw to rest in and then loctite the screw at the threads.
    Armedpatriot likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    952 times
    Off topic here but where have you been hiding since July of last year NCED? This is only your second post are we that bad? Well welcome if I missed you before and hope to see more of you around.
    "There is never a reason we are to sacrifice liberty for safety." Ron Paul 2012

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution
    of the United States of America against all enemies, both foreign and domestic ...

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    I may be killed with my own gun but he will have to beat me to death with it because it will be empty.

Member of Minutemen's Association of America
    Member of the NRA

Member #
    Liked
    415 times
    Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. (just in case I missed you)
    Be safe out there, no need to meet Jesus before the appointed time!!

Member #
    Liked
    12261 times
    Personally I don't like sights that are held in place with set screws. I much prefer a friction fit. You can shim those sights using a piece of feeler gauge. It usually doesn't require more than a pretty thin piece of gauge, and you can cut it with scissors. Just cut a piece such that it just fits in the bottom of the dovetail, and you'll know when you've got the thickness right when you can slide the sight about 1/3rd of the way into the dovetail. Then tap it in the rest of the way using a brass drift and a small hammer. Tap - don't hammer. And only tap on the tenon - not the sight itself. Put 'em in that way and you can pretty much throw the set screw away (although I'd leave it in). And they won't move. Here's a pic of my shimmed rear firesight - if you look close you can just see the end of the shim.

"The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links