Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Trouble with ammo

Anyone have trouble with reloaded ammo? I have problems with my 40 S&W Pro LS.
    I know that I am pushing it in expecting good results with LSWC's but, I have very
    good reliability with my 1911's, a CZ 75 & Ruger SR9. With my 24/7 the last round
    usually will not feed. What I have done to make it function properly is to load up some
    copper HP's or use factory ammo for the last round in the mag(1st. one loaded). That
    works until I finish the rest of the box of SWC's. In the future I will use a TC bullet.
    Just wondering if anybody had similar experiences

Member #
    Liked
    12261 times
    When you say the last round won't feed - where is it hanging up? On the ramp? On the top of the chamber? In the magazine? Does the problem exhibit itself with all magazines, or is it limited to particular mags? Need more details.

And welcome to the forums!
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1729 times
    As a rule, I avoid reloaded ammo unless I know the person who is making them. I had a friend who cast his own bullets and made his own ammo, and it was always dependable. However, I have used several of the "factory" reloads available, and quite often when I open a box, I have some kind of problem. Better to spend a few more $$$ and have better reliability.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mostly in the top of the chamber & with all mags. I did remove the followers
    a few hundred rounds back and smooth out the rough edges they had but
    it did not resolve my problem. I still believe it is magazine related because it
    only happens on the last round. Thanks for the input.
    SJ

Member #
    Liked
    14388 times
    90%+ of the reliability problems in semiautos can be traced to magazines; kinda sounds like what you've got.

...and SWC's give problems in "lots" of different brands of semiautos too, so that's not unusual either.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    12261 times
    If it's catching on the top of the chamber a bit of polishing there might solve the problem. I have no doubt that the magazines have something to do with it - most likely the way they're presenting the last round, although the round's overall length and profile are probably contributing to the problem. The other thing to check is the feed lip geometry. I've noticed on a number of taurus 45 acp mags the feed lips were very tight when new, but they tend to loosen up a bit with use. One thing that can help with mags is to leave them loaded, and unload and reload them several times a day for a couple weeks. Leaving them loaded will help the springs to take a set, and unloading and reloading will help to weaken the spring a bit. I also lubricate my mags on the inside with Rem DriLube and that helps a lot.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Will the 24/7 .40 eat pretty much anything as far as shootin? I've only used Federal S&W .40 .
    "Have a gun. Preferably, have at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns."

~Taurus 24/7 G2 .40 S&W. SOLD~

~Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm~..

~ Taurus PT 845 or G2 .45 ??? in the near future..

Member #
    Liked
    12261 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Issues View Post
    Will the 24/7 .40 eat pretty much anything as far as shootin? I've only used Federal S&W .40 .
    Every weapon is a little bit different - even identical models. Best thing is to try the ammo you're considering in it and see how it behaves.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    4862 times
    If the problem is with reloads and the weapon functions with factory ammunition, well then the reloads are the problem, or the reloader?
    now this is if you are using the same projectile profile, you can't compare function of a FMJ round ball with a hollow point.
    each gun will have dislikes at some point.
    My reloads work as well or better than factory ammo , and i have never had to issue a recall on it due to improper function.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    1748 times
    I shoot mostly my own reloads and have done so for decades without issue.

I have not found a Bullet Shape or load that either of my 24/7's (9mm & .45 ACP) will not feed and I've tried a lot of them! Flat Points, Hollow Points, Semi-wadcutters, plain FMJ-RN's, they all feed and fire.

That said, do some shooting with different/factory ammunition to see if the problem is still there or not. Also, as debeardslee has suggested, keep track of your magazines during malfunctions. Number them with Model Paint or something so you can tell them apart.
    Last edited by jwc007; 03-09-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links