Taurus Firearm Forum banner

OSS vs G2 advice?

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
Hi, I was going to get a Taurus 24/7 OSS .45 but I'm having a hard time finding them now that I have the money for one, none of the local shops carry them anymore and all I can find is the G2 model.

All the research I did was on the OSS and I can't find much info on the new G2s. Does anyone have information comparing the two?

I apologize in advance to anyone that gets upset if this was asked already, but the search gave me the response; The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
oss, vs, g2

#2 ·
That is weird. I can't find an OSS anywhere, either. I guess I am a lucky guy - I've got mine :)
I can't help with a comparison, I don't have a G2. OTOH, I think the OSS is even better than sliced bread.

#4 ·
I believe one of the main differences is the OSS has the longer barrel. By the way, welcome to the site.

#5 ·
That's wierder... I searched Bud's before I posted 1/2 hour ago - it didn't come up... Now I'm feeling paranoid... why me? :shocked:

#6 ·
Sounds like I better order them soon, we were going to order one for myself and one for my boyfriend, and his friend decided he wants one too.

Bud's Gun Shop looks like they have at least 2 in stock and has the best price I have seen so far. (Thanks MilProGuy). No options on the color but I won't care about the color if it is as nice as everyone says it is.

The only down side to ordering online is that I won't get to hold it before we buy it, i'm not a big girl and I haven't fired a 45. At the gun shop I held another brand of similar design with a polymer grip and was able to get my hand around it ok, but as long as it has a smaller diameter than the Desert Eagle .50 I should be fine. The DE grip was too big, so I had to adjust my hand after each shot. As long as I can hold it, I'm sure ill love it.

#8 ·
I got as dirty old black 24/7 OSS tactical in 45.
the 24/7 pro and OSS line I think are being phased out for the new G-2.
the differences in the G-2 and a OSS are match grade barrel(OSS) and the 24/7 OSS is single action /double action, the G-2 is double action/ single action.
the grip on the OSS is the exact same as the grip on any other 24/7 pro D/s so if you can find one locally try it out for feel, they are very ergonomic grips and fit a large span of hand sizes, recoil on any 24/7 pro that i have shot is very reduced feel, very easy on the shooter, even the 24/7 C pro D/S that i have in 45 is not bad at all in recoil.
if you want a OSS better be getting it.
here is some black, ugly eye candy for you while you try to find you one!

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Black Oxide Parkerizing

The only down side to ordering online is that I won't get to hold it before we buy it, i'm not a big girl and I haven't fired a 45. At the gun shop I held another brand of similar design with a polymer grip and was able to get my hand around it ok, but as long as it has a smaller diameter than the Desert Eagle .50 I should be fine. The DE grip was too big, so I had to adjust my hand after each shot. As long as I can hold it, I'm sure ill love it.
The .45 24/7 OSS actually has a grip a bit smaller than a 1911, so this should not be an issue. Not shown in my pic, I've put a Hogue Handall Sleeve Grip on mine which bulks up the .45 24/7 OSS's grip just a bit and accentuates the Finger Grooves.

My .45 24/7 OSS has been and is a really sweet running machine. Put another 100 rounds thru it over the Memorial Day weekend.

#13 ·
I placed the order Monday and I have to say I'm happy with the company so far, they have sent emails updating me on the progress of my order. It would be awesome if they are delivered by the weekend so we can take them to the range. :clap: Thanks again for the advice, I was unsure about ordering a gun from the internet but you all convinced me.

#14 ·
Likewise I have ordered the OSS .40 pass weekend when came across the deal. It seems buds got a batch of OSS came in. No worry about Buds, I have purchased 4 guns from them so far.
When pick up the firearm from your FFL, make sure check out the firearm thoroughly before sign the paper. Once it transferred, the firearm cannot return to Buds if any issue arises. It will be handling by the manufacture warranty.

#15 ·
The guns were delivered last Friday, we looked them over before we accepted them, (thanks for the tip AE86FL) after I realized it was the assembly goo they used making it extra slippery and not me unable to open the slide we filled out all the paperwork and took them home and cleaned them.

The size and weight is perfect for me, and everyone that we show them to really likes them. we went shooting on Sunday and they shoot nicely, we put 100 rounds through each of them and had no problems.

When we took them apart the recoil springs are different, the cap piece on one is twice as thick as the other one (anyone know why?) and after we shot them there was copper residue in the barrel on the rifling that didn't come off with the cleaner and a brass brush.

What should I use to clean them? I didn't use the cleaner that has acetone in it on the bottom part of the gun because I'm not sure how it will react with the polymer.

#19 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your two 24/7 OSS's. I'm very happy with mine!

and after we shot them there was copper residue in the barrel on the rifling that didn't come off with the cleaner and a brass brush.
Try plain yellow household Ammonia, but not with the brass brush as Ammonia will eat that. Just put some Ammonia on a patch, put it on a Nylon Bore Brush, and get the Barrel really wet with it, let is sit for about 5 minutes, then scrub, then re-wet, then scrub, .......repeat till clean. Probably won't take more than about 5 scrubbings. Remove Ammonia from bore with a few water soaked patches, then dry bore with Disc Brake Cleaner or just dry patches. As you're just cleaning the Bore here, Polymer Safety should NOT be a concern as the Barrel is made of Steel, but do keep the rest of the Gun away from the area, just to be careful.

#16 ·
are the two weapons the same caliber?
if not then thats the difference in the two recoil springs, if they are the same caliber i haven't got a clue why they would be different.
They make several different brands of cleaners that will remove copper/lead fouling, just go to a reputable gun shop and ask them for the product that removes copper fouling.
congrads on the weapon they are very nice for sure.

#18 · (Edited)
all my 24/7 recoil assemblies look like the bottom one, perhaps the other one is newer design?
The OSS of course has a single recoil spring , the others have dual recoil spring assemblies., but the ends look like the lower one on mine.
It looks like the upper one has a polymer rod in the center?
does the lower one have a polymer rod or metal?
Mine are all metal, if the rods are different then that may be the clue.
also i was wondering why my finger nails are never nearly as clean as yours?-LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.