Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brand new 24/7 pro c ds...but doesn't chamber a round : (

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  blackholesun 
#1 ·
Sooooo excited to pick up my new 24/7 pro c ds (.40) and when i finally get it home and clean it all up nice and good, pop in a snap cap.....won't chamber all the way : \ With no round, when the slide goes forward, everything is good, soon as i get a round or snap cap in there, won't close all the way. Time to send it in for repair already?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tried loading a live round to see if that works? The snap cap could be too big or just defective. Also, if you haven't done so, you should break it down and clean it thoroughly, the grease that they ship the guns in can sometimes gum everything up.

#3 ·
Did you put the Snap Cap in the Chamber/Barrel and drop the Slide (which is the WRONG thing to do) or did you put the Snap Cap in the Magazine and rack the slide, to chamber it? The former procedure will damage the Extractor, the latter procedure will not.

#4 ·
I spent an hour first thing when i got home cleaning it. As far as loading the snap cap, i dropped it in and racked the slide, didn't drop it. I've tried the snap cap, some hollow points, and some WWB. I'm by no means an expert, but i think it might be the extractor. Would a non functioning extractor cause something like this?

#7 ·
Wen you say you dropped it in.... as you do above you mean you dropped it into the chamber and then let the slide go home? This is a no no and will damage the extractor... you can only load it from the magazine.

#5 ·
field strip the gun take out the barrel and drop a round into the chamber and inspect whether it seats properly into the chamber. start there. and by your post i am gathering that you loaded your rounds into the mag. but im still a little unsure. so pop a snapcap into the mag. rack the slide back and let it go. dont aid the forward motion. by doing that you are hindering the guns ability to function. so get hostel with it when you rack it. pull all the way back and let it go.

#8 ·
"--and good, pop in a snap cap.....won't chamber all the way."

Being fairly new at this, don't take my word for gospel. (Follow me, guys, and don't let me lead him astray)

I gathered that the cartridge will not seat all the way into the chamber. It should slide all the way in whether by hand or from the mag. The extractor remains at the side of the breech face until the slide closes, where, if the cartridge is already in, the extractor must wedge out and snap back in again behind the rim. If it doesn't, the slide cannot close.

Try by feeding with the magazine. If that works, I'd strongly suspect that the extractor is jammed. Or the extractor point is not shaped correctly to pry itself out. I test that movement during every cleaning.

Another thought. You've had the barrel in your hand. Get it out again and hold it muzzle down and drop a round in. It should fall until it hits the end of the chamber with a thud, with only enough of the rim far enough out to engage the extractor. If it doesn't, look into the barrel. Is it clean? Is there any foreign thing in there? And duh, is the barrel, the slide and the bullets all the same caliber? (If you're insulted, I apologize.)

That's my .02. The 24/7 is my favorite gun. If the OSS is better I want one. Good luck.

#9 ·
Everything is working fine now, i only racked it once after dropping a snap cap in, so hopefully no damage. Using the magazine to load both live rounds and the snap cap with no issue now. Seems like everything is ejecting OK too. Good to know about not being able to drop a round in, thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.