Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Different sights on OSS model ?

946 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
I have four 24/7's. Have Hi-Viz sights on one, Williams Firesights on another. Just ordered 2 more sets of Williams for the other two.

I'm looking at my .45 cal OSS model....The front sight seems taller and thinner. Well, more than seems like it..........it definitely is.

What's up with that? Are all OSS models like that because the barrels are longer? More importantly: Are my new sights gonna work on the OSS, or should I not install them?

#2 ·
not an answer to your question, but which sights do you like better, the firesights or hi-viz? i see the firesights also come in an adjustable model also. is that the ones you have? the firesights look more durable due to the center band instead of just one on each end of the sight tube.

#4 ·
I like the Hi-Viz better, but the price seems to have gone up tremendously, and they were hard to get when I was ready to buy, so I went with the Firesights again. No, not adjustable.

The Hi-Viz are the ones with the band around the middle. I like that a lot.

I'm surprised MilProGuy hasn't commented about the sights yet. He would probably know the answer.

#7 ·
I have not comapred the sights on my 24/7 OSS to the ones on my 24/7 C's, so can't say positively but!
call Tauurs and see if they have the same part number, or if you got a 24/7 model weapon and a 24/7 OSS model just look at the manuals and compare the parts numbers.
if I get a chance I will compare mine.

#8 ·
What a bundle of information Taurus was. NOT !

The guy says, "oh yeah the sights are different on the OSS, because it's a match-grade barrel." I said the front sight seems taller, and he says "it probably is". Asked if the rear sight was different, he says "I don't know". Asked if I the fiber-optic sights will work, he says, get this : "They should fit in the same dovetail". I asked if they would still sight OK, and he says "you might have to make an adjustment here and there, it may shoot higher or lower.

At this point I realized I was wasting my time. I wasn't going to ask him how the hell you adjust for height, when there is no way to do that at all !

So, I got both sets of sights sitting here on my desk, wondering what to do.

I may just end up selling them here. I'm pretty disgusted.

#9 ·
I just called Williams. The guy said that he wasn't aware of the OSS model having taller sights. I assured him that it was, and he said he would have the engineers look into it.

He said that if I installed the firesights, the gun will probably shoot high.

I guess that answers that.

#10 ·
Well I don't really think that the front sight being taller would be an issue if the rear sight was the appropriate height, so I guess i am saying even if the 24/7 OSS sight set is taller as long as its matched with the rear to hit POA, then I would think that as long as the williams sight is as well then it would also print POA?
I mean sights work in relation to both front and rear.
I am surprised actually that Taurus woudl even make a comment of after market sights and how they would work on the pistol, i would think that the after market sight maker would know though.
OF course the way that you raise or lower POA is to reduce or increase the height of the sight, so built up or file off until it hits where you want it.
anyay if you get it worked out let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.