Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 G2 Questions

9K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  RonJ 
#1 ·
I'm planning to purchase a polymer frame 9mm and like the feel of the G2 after handling it a Cabela's today, but I hae a couple of questions they were not able to answer and I can't find answered in other G2 posts:

1. I saw another post that indicated it can be operated with the first shot as SA (effecively SAO) instead of DA for first shot and SA (DA/SA) for following shots. We couldn't immediately figure out how to do that.

2. Dry firing the gun, I found the movement of the red dot on the end of the striker to be distracting. Does this go away after getting used to it?

3. Is the OSS (which I guess is being discontinued) the same seqence (since it is described as SA/DA which I'm don't really understand)?

Thanks.

#2 ·
1-Yes you can have the first shot be SA, but anytime it goes click and not bang or you de-cock it, it will go to DA. But you can put it into SA at any time. Easiest way is

make sure its empty, pull trigger, keep trigger pulled back, rack slide back and release, it will stay in SA. Easier to see than read.

2- I did notice the red striker for 1 or 2 shots, but once your shooting it loaded Im looking at my front sight and the target, ive only done about 200 rounds thru it and dont see it any more.

Maybe I will make a review of the gun tonight and put up a link here on this forum. If you or anyone else has any questions they would like to know msg me.

#3 ·
Madmodder said:
1-Yes you can have the first shot be SA, but anytime it goes click and not bang or you de-cock it, it will go to DA. But you can put it into SA at any time. Easiest way is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOCy_pK7SWk

make sure its empty, pull trigger, keep trigger pulled back, rack slide back and release, it will stay in SA. Easier to see than read.

2- I did notice the red striker for 1 or 2 shots, but once your shooting it loaded Im looking at my front sight and the target, ive only done about 200 rounds thru it and dont see it any more.

Maybe I will make a review of the gun tonight and put up a link here on this forum. If you or anyone else has any questions they would like to know msg me.
Just a bit of info, you dont need to keep the trigger pulled. Pull the slide to the rear and lock it back, pull the trigger and release then send the slide forward. The pistol will now be in SA, I dont like the idea of holding that trigger down while releasing the slide and it is unneeded.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help. Is this feature new with the G2 or did any of the previous models (particularly the OSS) have this feature as well? For target shooting, I like SAO, but having the SA/DA option when holstered is appealing.

#5 ·
Skinnedknuckles said:
Thanks for the help. Is this feature new with the G2 or did any of the previous models (particularly the OSS) have this feature as well? For target shooting, I like SAO, but having the SA/DA option when holstered is appealing.
I have not shot the OSS so I do not know exactly how that one works. I think this is the first in the 24/7 line to be like this. I believe most DA/SA pistols go to SA when you rack the slide. The G2 is always DA action on the first shot of the day unless you put it in SA like I described above. Though once you have it in SA it will stay that way for the entire day of shooting. Change mags and it is still in SA unless you decock it.

#6 ·
That makes it clearer - thanks. I "assumed" it was like the 92 where the first shot after every re-load was DA. I'll have to research the OSS more, or better yet find one "on the shelf" and find out for myself.

#7 ·
OK. heres a little 24/7 school!
24/7 original -double action only.
24/7 pro -single action/double action.
24/7 pro D/S - single action/ double action with a decocker.
24/7 OSS D/S single action /double action with a decocker.
24/7 kalifornia compliant- double action only, reduced capacity magazines.
24/7 G-2- double action/single action,any other info on the G-2 someone else will need to answer.
so any 24/7 other than the original, the kalifornia compliant and the G-2, should be single action primarily, double action if decocked or if it misfires the round.
another note?
My model 99 is single action after a mag reload as the sldie is rearward and when released forward to chamber the round it has the hammer cocked, so its single action!
now if you decock or lower the hammer then it would be double action.
of course if you cock the hammer then it again is single action!
hope this helps the confusion some!

#8 ·
A great help! The terminology from the marketing groups still confuses me, and hearing from someone who knows the guns is the reason I follow this forum.

#9 ·
The ability to cycle to SA for carry purpose was another deciding factor for me when I picked my 24/7 G2 40.

#10 · (Edited)
Wow, wow, wow. I don't get this at all. I must ask WHY? Why did they change it from the way the 24/7-DS worked? Why, when the 24/7 DS worked perfectly?

Let's look at this for a second, shall we?

1. Starting premise: Some people like their first shot SA (option A, let's say), and some people like it DA (Option B, let's say- for adrenaline/safety reasons). Fine, both ways are legitimate ideas. Simple user preference. Crunchenticker or not. (Granted, if not crunchenticker, then a manual safety is arguably highly desirable for safety, but that's a separate issue).
2. On traditional DA/SAs without a decocker, this was a problem if you wanted option B, because you'd have to manually decock by letting hammer down - not safe, arguably. (though it's pretty safe with proper technique and a half-cock notch - I do it sometimes with my CZ 85, and feel 99.99999% safe).
3. So, as a result of this problem, we invented the de-cocker. Problem solved - renders irrelevant whether exposed hammer or not (in the case of these new-fangled striker-fired guns).
4. THIS GUN HAS A DECOCKER!!!! (Right?)
5. So, on the 24/7 DS and all other DA/SAs with decocker that I'm aware of, the "Default" trigger setting when you rack it initially is SA-first-shot (Option A). If you don't like it (want Option B), then decock it. If you want to stay with Option A, then flip on the manual safety (if there is one), and go.
6. Now, this G2 inexplicably changes the default setting to Option B for the first shot.
7. Sure, there is a convoluted, confusing trick to make it go back to option A, which runs contrary to everything we instinctively know, for people who have shot pistols all their lives.
8. So WHY change the default and introduce this confusion? I could see this design making sense if there were no de-cocker, but there is.

Is the idea that noobs might fire accidentally before decocking? Yeah, I guess it's possible. But now we have a situation where if you want to go to Option A (change the default) for carry, you have to hold the trigger back, then insert a loaded mag, and then let the slide forward while holding back the trigger, correct? It seems to me that at a minimum, this creates a bad habit by having your finger in and around the trigger area when you shouldn't (while racking). So this bad habit seems to me, is a lot more unsafe in the long run than the risk of an ND "before you have a chance to decock it" for those that like Option B.

More importantly, what if you're holding the trigger back part way while letting the slide go forward to chamber your 1st round, then at the end of that, you accidentally pull just a little too much and let the trigger go all the way back - it would fire, correct!?! Or is it the case that the trigger must be ALL the way to the rear, like an ordinary cycling/reset for this trick to work? I sure hope it's the latter!

Is THIS the feature of the 800 series that was "added" to the 24/7 to come up with the G2, or what? I'm not familiar with the 800 series. What exactly, are the differences, between the 24/7 and the G2, besides this difference in the default first trigger pull, if anything?

What am I missing?

I'm probably missing *something* because here's how stupid I am: I actually owned a 24/7 OSS-DS in .45 for awhile. Kept in the pickup. Didn't shoot it much, but did shoot it at the range a couple of times. Then sold it as redundant. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT HAD A DECOCKER ON IT! Wow, I'm an idiot. I simply used the lever as a manual safety - didn't know you could pull it down to de-cock. I liked that pistol a lot, and it was even cooler than I realized. Guess I should start reading the instruction manuals.

Now I want a longslide OSS-DS in 9mm for my girlfriend and myself, and sure hope they are still available, because her being a noob, that confusing "trick" thing on the G2 is just too much for her to learn, I think - and also, as mentioned, unsafe. AND, with arthritic hands, she NEEDS an easy SA first shot (every shot).

Going backwards here, are we, Taurus? I thought only Microsoft products got worse with each passing year.

I've always liked Taurus as an innovater, and they still get an A for effort on some of these things - but lately.... don't get me started on
-- polymer frame revolvers (Public Defender polymer) - how is the cylinder gap blast not gonna cut through the topstrap? Is there a strip of steel attached to the underside of the topstrap?
-- Raging Judge Magnum - this seems like a bunch of catastrophic failures begging to happen - first off, 6 shots instead of 5. I have a RB .454 casull (a 60k psi round), with a 5-shot cylinder of the same size. I don't think metallurgy has come that far in 5 years to allow an extra round to be crammed in without sacrificing a lot of strength. Second, compounding the problem, the gun is actually MARKED .45 colt (in addition to .454 casull and .410 shotshell). That means when people 'ring the cylinder' with .45 Colts, stick in .454 casulls in the 55-60K psi range, blow their faces off, these one-eyed plaintiffs are gonna sue the pants off Taurus, right or wrong, and Taurus they won't have much of a defense because they put right on the gun that it's OK to shoot .45 colts. Unless they have a new magical steel, I don't like where this is heading.
--Raging Judge Ultralight - similar issue - looks like a RB because it IS a RB. But it's not even tested/approved as being strong enough for .454 (holding 7 instead of 5 or 6). However, since it's a RB, people are gonna think "Raging in name; big gun with red backstrap - oh .454 casull must be ok" - AND, guess what, since it's long enough for 3" shotshells, .454 casulls will drop right in. Hell, .460s may even fit. Not good.
-Circuit Judge - what the hell? They announced that they were gonna come out with two models - one with a rifled barrel that would thus be optimized for .45 Colt (which I was waiting for / wanting to get), and another separate model with a smoothbore, optimized for .410. What did they actually do? Come out with just one model with the worst of all worlds - that same shallow rifling that is used in the judge (unnecessary in a longgun for legal reasons). Now the shot won't shoot right - it will still donut hole, and the .45 colt probably wont either with that shallow rifling. AND, if you're GONNA put the rifle in it, why on earth is it still 18", instead of 16"? AND, the silly insert/choke that that is supposed to un-spin the shot load is simply a smoothbore insert - not "straight-rifled" like NEF uses in their Survivor combo gun. How is a smoothbore gonna "un-spin" the momentum of the shot charge? Hopefully they will come out with the 2 different versions eventually. I really want one for .45 colt use only, with full rifling. With that shallow rifling, you must use .452 or .453 bullets to get any consistent accuracy. Standard .451s are crap in Judges, so a lot of factory ammo is useless.

Oy, I hope I'm wrong. See above part about me being an idiot - so maybe I am!

P.S. Too bad BATFE put the kaibosh on the Raging 28 - with slugs, that would have been some serious self-defense medicine!

P.P.S. "De-Cocked" - oh man, I HATE it when that happens!

#12 ·
Wow, wow, wow. I don't get this at all. I must ask WHY? Why did they change it from the way the 24/7-DS worked? Why, when the 24/7 DS worked perfectly?

But now we have a situation where if you want to go to Option A (change the default) for carry, you have to hold the trigger back, then insert a loaded mag, and then let the slide forward while holding back the trigger, correct? It seems to me that at a minimum, this creates a bad habit by having your finger in and around the trigger area when you shouldn't (while racking). So this bad habit seems to me, is a lot more unsafe in the long run than the risk of an ND "before you have a chance to decock it" for those that like Option B.
Nope dont need to put your finger on the trigger while letting the slide forward. Just pull it when the slide is locked to the rear, take finger off the trigger and let the slide forward. The guy that made the video was a little too quick to post his instructions and didnt ask the question before he did so.

#11 ·
well who really knows about corporate decisions!
i would assume and its simply that Taurus was trying to appeal to the law enforcement sector as many require a D/A Only weapon on the first shot.
to my knowledge all 24/7 OSS are D/S models? and the 24/7 pros are single action/ double action- not double action/ single action , may sound the same but the old 24/7 series is SA/DA and the new G-2 are DA/SA, a difference, just FYI.
I agree that i see no need for the change, but again i don't sit in the board rooms of Tauurs so i guess they had a reason.
I'll be hanging on to my 24/7 C Pro D/S and 24/7 OSS D/S though, i know that for sure.

#15 ·
hot damn that was a mouthful.. Interesting points and allot of questionable decisions brought into the light. But as above mentioned, who the heck knows. For your first post that sure was a doozy, I gave it a "like."

#16 ·
2. Dry firing the gun, I found the movement of the red dot on the end of the striker to be distracting. Does this go away after getting used to it?
Thanks.
I'll comment on this. To be honest, I think you should just modify the gun yourself. Just cover it up with permanent marker. If your worried about violating the warrenty, order a 2nd striker rod and modify that one. Then if you ever have to send your gun in, just put back in the original. Just some thoughts.

#18 ·
AAAAHHHHHHH!!!
OK, I can't resist it!
why the hell are you looking at the back end of the slide when you are ready to shoot anyway!
your eyes should be firmly focused only on the front sight!
I doubt very seriously if coloring the striker indicator would void a warranty!
all it is is a lawyers tool anyway, just one more way for the company to protect itself from some numbskull shooting himself or someone else by mistake and saying "gosh i diedn't no hit was loaded"

#17 ·
Pay attention to OlFarHos. He has the history and the straight answers about the 24/7-G2 line.

I'm used to the simpler pt-111, with just a manual safety. I followed the old school of load, chamber and set the safety. The gun is then in condition 1,'cocked and locked', and gives me all the advaantage it can.The 24/7 series adds a decocker that I ignore.
Other folks like the ability to change the first pull to DA. These guns offer that feature.
I guess it's a matter of how many layers of safety do you want to work through.

#19 ·
well thanks for the compliment Bre, but the g-2 is the 24/7 that i am not familiar with!
I haven't ever shot one, don't own one, really not interested in one as i feel like my 24/7 Pro D/s is better for my needs, nothing against the g-2!
I have handled a couple -4-5 and really don't like the ergonomics as well as the regular 24/7 grip and frame.
there are several members here that own them though and can give a better description than i.

#23 ·
I've had my OSS 9MM for two years, love it. Normally carry it in my truck on empty chamber with intent to "rack" it if needed. Just found out it has a decock. I am also bad about not reading owners manual. Question, is it safe to merely decock on a loaded chamber?

#26 ·
Thanks. I'm going to try decocking on a bullet in the chamber at the range a few times before going live that way full time. I never liked leaving any fire arm cocked if for no reason other than a cocked spring over time weakens.

#27 ·
carrying a chamber hot or empty, safety on, decocked, chamber laoded and no safety, its all what you are comfortable with.
I almost always carry on me in the chamber hot and no safety on, in my vehicles they ride chamber loaded and safety on, I seldom decock as I like the first shot to be single action like all the remaining shots.
It should be completey safe to decock the weapon, but i normally point it in a safe direction when doing so.
My biggest use of the decocker is to check the double action of my 24/7's actually.

#28 ·
I do the following, when carrying, because it makes me feel safer. I will rack a round, put on the safety, holster the gun with safety still on, and once the gun is holstered I will disengage the safety. I do this because I prefer a S/A first shot, but since it is my understanding that most negligent discharges, or at least many of them, occur while reholstering, I eliminate that possibility and still get my S/A first shot.

Whever I do decock in my house, I have a bucket of heavy sand in my garage, and I point the muzzle down into the bucket when I decock. Just to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.