Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 Pro C DS Generations?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  SpodWo 
#1 ·
Ok - I just got a 24/7 but it looks different than what is online at the Taurus website. It is NOT a G2 but does have the short barrel [Just over 3"] and has a take down lever - not the glock like take down tabs.

When did this pistol start being made and how many Gens are there?

The Taurus website, after putting in my serial number revealed:

SEARCH RESULTS
Your Model Is 24/7-45SSPC-12
Production Year 2010

Any inherent issues? So far - I have about 130 rounds through it of American Eagle and Winchester White Box - 230 gr FMJ, RN. No problems.

#2 ·
It sounds like a 3rd generation gun. I had one in 45 but had to get rid of it do arthritis in my hands. I never had any problem with it and its a great gun.

#3 ·
Grats on the new 24/7 SpodWo!!

I don't recall reading anything too negative if anything negative about them. I believe they are great guns, I'm sure it will treat you well.

#4 ·
:D
If memory serves , and many times it doesn't!
The c (compact model) 24/7's were only in the second generation and third generation, i don't recall any first generations compacts!
and it very easy to determine if its a second or third generation.
If its a 24/7 C pro , then its a second generation, if its a 24 /7 C Pro D/S then its a third generation.
the third generation (D/S) indicates it has a decocker safety.
The entire 24/7 series is pretty much one of Taurus best designed pistols and seldom is any problems encountered with them.
the c models are very toteable and comes with two different sized magazines as you are likely aware, so you can carry for conceal or carry for capacity, they are accurate for their barrel size and dependable normally as to function.
i have two , a 9MM and a 45 ACP.
personally I prefer them to the G-2 series, although i do not own a G-2.

Attachments

#5 ·
I totally agree with you olfarhors. Had I not developed the disease RA, I would still own it I liked it so much.

I can still shoot full size 1911's but its getting more and more painful. Thank God I got my XD-9 that shoots just great and does not bother me.

#6 ·
well that really sucks!
Fortunately I am not recoil sensitive and so far no "arthy" in my body, got some bad kness and a half bad shoulder from the fire service but can still shoot!
of course as you mention theres always the 9MM , and push come to shove the 380 in a bigger framed gun, or a 32 revover.
I actually like my 9 MM as well as my 45's, just different toys i guess.
I don't play much with the old 41 mag anymore.

#7 ·
31 years building cars and at the end of my career with GM I was diagnosed with severe RA. I had to work 8 months with my hands swelled and my feet hurting so bad it took close to 3 hours to get ready before the start buzzer sounded. Thank God that they have meds that stop the progression of the disease. so my hands are not deformed yet. But the pain will never go away. They can slow it down but I still have RA attacks even on the Meds, 3 shots a week one a mild form of Chemo. But it still makes me sick and I have to take some other med so I don't lose my hair.

And I'm only 52 the age that it starts for most of us. But I can and will stay shooting. If I can work hurting that bad I can shoot hurting just the same.

#8 ·
I guess the G2 is considered a 4th Gen then? It seems to have enough changes to constitute that designation?

Regardless - I have noted that my trigger is gritty in the long take up - two stages to it obviously for the DA/SA type function.

I also note that there is just too much front blade on this pistol. You have to hold that front dot high over the rear sight other wise it shoots too low. I have looked at some new sight considerations but I bought the pistol as it IS a true bargain [so far] and I don't want to add cost to something I bought for a bargain compact .45. I did buy another 10 round mag for it from Midway USA.

I am happy with it. I put a Pachmeyer Slip on Grip model #1 [I had to trim off some at the bottom]. I think the Model #5 probably woudl have been better but my local Gun shop didn't have that one in stock. It has helped with the grip a bit. I do confess after about 50 rounds - my hand starts getting sore in the fleshy part of my palm under my thumb.

I need to check my myriad of holsters to see if I have one that fits this well.

#9 ·
Spray polymer safe Gunscubber in the trigger area and then re-lube, I use breakfree CLP but other lubes would work. Sounds like you have a nice gun. Congrats That gun has had few if any issues. I hope yours is one of them. I hope you enjoy your new gun and have many years a great shooting.

#10 ·
I find that the sights on all three of my 24/7's to pretty much be dead on.
several here have used the Hi-viz and the williams firesights and said that the sights were pretty much dead on, you might check out some of the post on those sights, of course you can always shorten the front sight on yours as that will raise the POI with the same sighting technique that you are currently using.
I echo the through cleaning with syn safe gunscrubber, relube and i use tetra grease on the rails but CLP or oil will work as well.
after you run 3-400 rounds through the weapon i think you will find the trigger to be excellent for a stock out of the box weapon.
The 24/7 grip is so ergonomic for me I would never consider altering it, but you may be different, i feel very little recoil from the 45 and virtually none with the 9mm, it is just a joy to shoot.
i can run 100-150 rounds through either gun with no problems other than my arms getting tired and my groups opening up.
they get better with more ammo down the tube.
enjoy the lil pocket cannon!

#11 ·
I find that the sights on all three of my 24/7's to pretty much be dead on.
All 3 dots lined up? 6 o'clock hold or dots on target?

I have read here repeatedly that the 24/7 shoots low and that you have to high sight the front blade.

?

I will use a pistol rest to get a better sight in but I don't tend to shoot low with any of my pistols.

#12 ·
actually i did a post on the hienie figure eight sights on the 1911 board (kiss my hienies) as there was a lot of discussion on the use of these, but to answer your question through testing regardless of what the manual stated all my three dot sights print best with the POA=POI, point of aim being on where the projectile is intended to ht.
this includes colt, Ruger, Stoeger,beretta, etc, the three dots are for me POA=POI.
I always start off doing what the manual says then figure out what is the real sight picture for me.
Now i bring the weapon all the way up to eye level so as not to look down on the front sight and i shoot with both eyes open!
you can shorten the front sight if you want to and that will riase the point of aim for you.
a six o'clock hold is only used by the pistols that i have that have adjustable sights and 6 plus inch barrels and are 22 LR, i use this sighting with them as i shoot 1-2 inch targets and the POA=POI covers up the entire target.
of course a human is much larger than that.
I personally wouldn't change any part of the pistol until i ran a few hundred (3-400)rounds through it and became more comfortable with it.

#13 ·
I personally wouldn't change any part of the pistol until i ran a few hundred (3-400)rounds through it and became more comfortable with it
I concur and as I said - I will bench it first and run 50 through it to make sure what the true hold should be.

And I doubt if I would spend anything on it anyway. As I said - it is more a diversion pistol.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.