Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Any body tried 45 Super?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
I have 2 ?'s about this round. 1. Has anyone sucessfully used the 45 Super in a 24/7? 2. Would the 45 Super be a viable deer/hog hunting round? I stumbled on this round while researching the .460 Rowland. I didnt find a great wealth of info on the .45 Super tho. I know that most feel the ammo prices are high but if you could convert back and fourth between ACP and Supers I dont feel the price would be a negative. If a conversion is available I wouldn't shoot enough of the Super's to harm the gun. Feel free to educate me on this subject as I am uninformed.

#3 ·
Combat said:
Whatever you do, don't try to fire one in a 45ACP. The pressure can be up to 39,000 CUP which is nearly double that of 45ACP!
+!

#4 ·
I shoot .45 Super in my older .45 EAA Witness. You have to use .45 Super Brass to load it, as .45 Super Brass is thicker to contain the pressure. Got mine from Midway years ago.

My conversion simply substitutes the Recoil Spring Guide rod for a Sprinco Recoil Reducer and an 18 lb Recoil Spring. No such thing exists for my .45 24/7 OSS and since Taurus no longer makes the OSS, I plan no such conversion in the future.

Hypothetically, you would need at least a 22 lb Recoil Spring and a Sprinco Recoil Reducer for a 24/7, that latter of which does not yet, or probably never will, exist.

#6 ·
well as for the deer hunting/hog hunting question?
that would depend on where you live!
State DNR here sets the rules for legal firearms and projectiles.
at one time here in Georgia a weapon had to produce 500 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards and have adjustable sights to be a legal firearm for game animals.
now of course feral hogs are NOT game animals here, again it depends on where you live as to the rules.

#7 ·
Combat said:
Wouldn't you also need a heavier barrel to contain the extra pressure?
No. But you do need a gun made with modern steel. Say late 1970's or so. No converting Grandpa's 1911! The nice thing about more modern handguns such as the 24/7, SA XD, EAA Witness, SigArms P220, H&K USP, and S&W 4506, is that they have thicker than necessary Barrel Chamber Blocks.

My interest in the Cartridge was possible defensive use against Bears or Alligators/Crocodiles and just plain curiosity.

#8 ·
jwc007™ said:
I shoot .45 Super in my older .45 EAA Witness. You have to use .45 Super Brass to load it, as .45 Super Brass is thicker to contain the pressure. Got mine from Midway years ago.

My conversion simply substitutes the Recoil Spring Guide rod for a Sprinco Recoil Reducer and an 18 lb Recoil Spring. No such thing exists for my .45 24/7 OSS and since Taurus no longer makes the OSS, I plan no such conversion in the future.

Hypothetically, you would need at least a 22 lb Recoil Spring and a Sprinco Recoil Reducer for a 24/7, that latter of which does not yet, or probably never will, exist.
I have seen several mentions on this forum that the OSS is out of production, but the Taurus web site still seems to show them as current production items. Has Taurus made an announcement about the OSS? I think I want one but don't want to purchase a new gun that is already out of production.

Thanks

#9 ·
Skinnedknuckles said:
Has Taurus made an announcement about the OSS? I think I want one but don't want to purchase a new gun that is already out of production.
No, they've not made any announcements to that effect and they usually don't when they discontinue a model. They just let the supply quietly dry up so as not to encourage bidding wars for existing models or discourage sales of existing stock.

However, I really don't expect the current 24/7 Models to stay in production, although I wish they would. I understand your not wanting to buy an obsolete orphan, but for those of us who prefer the current design, this will not be an issue, and as there are plenty of the current 24/7's out there, I expect Taurus Customer Service will support them for some time to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.