Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Anyone heard of this issue with the safety? (24/7 Pro)

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  alan93 
#1 ·
Honestly the only reason I registered here was to make this post and warn of a potential safety failure on the 24/7 Pro. I don't know if this is somewhat normal or mine had a flaw from the factory but people need to know about this sort of thing. First a little background. When shopping for my second pistol (first semi-auto) I ended up buying the 9mm model over a year ago as a range / glove box / house gun. I really didn't want a hammerless design or polymer frame for that matter. I HATE Glocks, and am not a huge fan of the XDs after shooting one. I was actually looking for a PT92, but I read such great reviews on the 24/7 and liked the look of it enough that I made the leap of faith and bought one new, to be more accurate "hasn't been sold yet" as I think mine was made in 2007 but don't quote me on that. For the first couple of months the handgun operated nearly perfect. It was more accurate than I was, easy to control, and the only complaints I had were the ribber grip flaking/peeling off and that it seemed to have a generic failure (failure to fire, failure to feed, or failure to eject) about once every 60-90 rounds I put through it. Didn't seem to matter what ammo I was using.

Anyway, I like to get to know my guns very well which usually involves "playing" with them a lot while unloaded, assembly/disassembly drills, load/unload/reload, etc so that I could do it all quickly and efficiently. If it wasn't for that part of me that has to mess with everything, I might have had a worse experience with this gun. At this point in time I had owned it for a few months and had made several trips to the range, probably putting around 1000 rounds through it. As far as cleaning I kept this gun pretty well spotless because it was intended to be my main line of defense, replacing my trusty Nagant M1895 ;). Well one day when "playing" with it unloaded, I discovered something odd. Every now and then, for no apparent reason, when I engaged the safety I could still pull the trigger back. At first it wasn't a big deal because I figured it had still disabled the trigger and was just one of those weird things. It was always empty and decocked when I noticed this, and I shrugged it off for a while until I really started thinking about it. I found that sometimes when the trigger was released it would return the tiniest bit short of where it should have. If it was completely forward, the safety would engage like normal. But if it was ever so slightly pulled and the safety engaged, it would actually pull the trigger back a centimeter or so by itself, and the trigger could be pulled the rest of the way. The part that worried me was when I tried it with the weapon cocked as if there were a round chambered. I pulled the trigger with the safety on (SA) and the firing pin dropped.

Now, I don't claim to know how all the internals of this thing work and there very well could be a transfer bar or something that I can't see which would have prevented the firing pin from dropping completely. My understanding is all that is disengaged when the trigger is fully pulled. I don't know, and never intended to try it with a live round. But it was very unsettling to think that someone could accidentally fire my weapon with the safety on. I also figured that having the slide locked by the safety probably wasn't the best thing for keeping the gun in one piece if it fired a round, but I saw a post on here about a defective DS model firing on decock and it didn't explode so I was probably being a little dramatic with that one.

So for this reason and a few others (painful to watch the grip peeling, wanted a way to decock with one in the tube) I traded it in. I told the dealer exactly what had happened with the gun, and he said he would have it sent off to Taurus and checked out before it went back on the shelves. Now why didn't I send it to Taurus myself? Because I was dead set on replacing that gun with the Pro-DS 9mm. Yes, I loved the gun so much overall that I wanted another one just like it. Even with its quirks, it still outperformed some other models I had fired and I don't think I've ever held a gun that felt so natural in my hand.

My DS model is about as flawless as you can ask for. Granted I haven't put as many rounds through this one as I did my old one, I have still seen a drastic improvement. The fire-on-safe issue is non-existent. The trigger spring seems slightly stiffer and always resets to its proper position in the first place. Secondly, of course I had to try reproducing it anyway. The safety seems to use a slightly different mechanism and won't fully engage (SA) which is what I would expect and its pretty obvious if it happens since it takes more movement of the trigger than the Pro for this to actually happen, and it will drop the firing pin if you keep pulling obviously since the safety isn't fully engaged. The safety will not catch the trigger (DA) unless you are deliberately pulling it past the initial slack to where it starts to move the firing pin. It seems to be prohibited from dropping the pin this way.

In general, I've had ONE failure to fire and NO other failures the whole time I've had it except for a stovepipe when my friend limp wristed it, not the gun's fault at all. I'm not sure how you limp wrist a 9mm in the first place but in his defense he had never shot a gun before. The only thing is that sometimes when I put it on safe at the range it decocks itself because the lever is sensitive, but that isn't really an issue. Any other time there's a round chambered it's decocked anyway because I prefer to have that long first trigger pull for the added safety.

And just to clarify about it, no I did not originally still have my finger on the trigger before engaging the safety on the Pro. This was IMO a minor oversight that could turn into an issue if the already light trigger spring doesn't extend 100%. Sorry to be longwinded :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard more then once that a first generation (ribber grip, no DS) 24/7 would improperly engage the safety if the trigger wasnt fully forward, causing a possible "fire on safe" situation... It was attributed to an internal malfunction after wear, and taurus would replace the trigger spring to solve the issue.

I tried to duplicate it with a co-workers gen 1 24/7 but was never able to, unless i had my finger on the trigger slightly depressing it.

Apparently, when they redesigned the grip, they went to a heavier trigger spring as well to be 100% sure that the trigger returned to full forward after its pulled any distance.

#3 ·
Makes sense except that I didn't think ~1000 rounds should cause enough wear for something like this? I read about a guy writing a review who put 10,000 through one with no issues. Just seems like they would have caught it during testing is all.

Well at least people know. I assumed I'd find a thread about it here but I didn't, so I thought I should give a heads up with some details. Maybe too many details, but that's my gift and curse...

#5 ·
I can't duplicate the issue you had, but my 24/7 Pro DS is a little touchy when it comes to engaging the safety and then it decocks, whether I meant for it or not. If I am really careful and engage the safety slowly- it won't decock. I don't see this as an issue so much.. just a design feature.

#7 ·
rabbitt said:
I've heard more then once that a first generation (ribber grip, no DS) 24/7 would improperly engage the safety if the trigger wasnt fully forward, causing a possible "fire on safe" situation.
This is true with the Millenium line as well even up to the latest third generation. Of course you should only have your finger on the trigger if you are ready to fire, not while engaging the safety.

#8 ·
Mknight said:
... Of course you should only have your finger on the trigger if you are ready to fire, not while engaging the safety.
coupled with a weak, worn, or defective trigger return spring, this could cause an issue even if your finger was NOT on the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.