Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 Pro

992 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
Hello all.... I have a chance to purchase a 24/7 Pro C DS SS for what I seem to be a good price. Never shot a .45. Guy wants 325.oo new in box, Good deal or not. Is the .45 to pwerful in compact size?

#2 ·
Is the .45 to powerful in compact size?
With +P ammo you'll get basically the same performance that you would with standard velocity ammo from a 5" barrel. I ran some through a chrono several weeks ago from my PT145, and I was getting 830 fps for 230 gr Winchester Ranger T +P, and 960 fps for 185 gr Remington Golden Saber +P's. It's a little on the anemic side with standard velocity - about 730 fps for 230 gr WWB FMJ's, but that's to be expected from the short barrel. Speer approaches the problem a little differently - rather than bumping the powder charge, they have bullets that are designed to expand fully at lower velocities in their short barrel ammo line. Either way it's a bullet that's almost 1/2" across, and it's not going to be doing BG's any favors.

Most people that I know prefer the recoil of a .45 to a .40 or even 9mm - particularly if they're loaded to +P pressure. The 9mm and .40 both have chamber pressures of 35,000 psi for standard velocity and 38,500 for +P. The .45 has standard pressure of 21,000 psi, and 23,000 for +P, and the corresponding felt recoil doesn't seem as snappy as it does with the .40 and 9mm. More of a very firm push than a snap.

#3 ·
$325.00 NIB is a great price! Go for it!

I have a 24/7 Pro Compact DS .45 and it is one flawless hand cannon!

I paid $359.00 plus state tax for mine.

#6 ·
The recoil of the 24/7 Pro D/S in any caliber that I have shot is not bad actually, well at least to me anyway!
I have the 45 ACP and the 9MM in the same gun as you ask about.
I can easily shoot 150-200 rounds out of either with no problems or discomfort.
the 24/7 simply eats up recoil and transfers very little to the shooter it seems,a very ergonomic designed weapon, as well as dependable and accurate for its size.
Now as for price?
well a new in the box gun from anywhere other than a dealer or wholesaler is like a new car setting on a lot that has been owned but never driven or driven just a few miles!
it may sound really good, but its still a used gun or car and the value has diminished considerabally.
Plus i never hear of a Old gun that has been shot to hell that someone wants to sale, wonder why that is?-LOL
325 for a used gun regardless of how good a condition is not an outstanding buy, specially when you can buy "A REAL" new in the box weapon for about 300 bucks now.

Attachments

#7 ·
I prefer shooting 185 gr ammo out of mine when I can find it, often I'll mail order several boxes of defensive ammo in 185 gr to have it on hand. It's a little faster and a little less recoil out of the Compact, but I don't mind shooting 100+ rounds of 230 gr defensive ammo out of mine at the range either. It still doesn't have an offensive or painful recoil, it's just noticeably stronger.

#8 ·
I have that weapon (with a blued slide) as my EDC, and because of the slower-burning powder in a .45, I find recoil to be quite manageable. Muzzle flip isn't nearly as bad as you would expect with the short barrel, and follow-up shots can be accomplished quickly with practice. Pull the trigger on that deal (pardon the bad pun) and don't look back. You'll be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.