Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Hammer required to remove guide rod?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
The first couple of times I disassembled my 24/7 oss (my first handgun), I was able to break it down with no tools and little effort... the last 3 or 4 times that I cleaned it I found that I could not remove the recoil spring/guide rod easily... it is like the piece that sticks through the front of the gun gets stuck too far out and binds when I try to remove the assembly. I have had to resort to using a small metal rod and hammer to tap (decently hard taps at that) the guide rod back into the gun at which point it comes out easily. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Daniel

#6 ·
HMM!! Ok so when firing the weapon the recoil spring operates correctly?
and so if you jack the slide back and lock it does the recoil spring and guide rod operate as it should?
in other words does the inner section stick out the front and the other section move rearward into the slide?
if so the recoil rod assembly would seem to be operating correctly.
Take a look at the inner rod with the slide locked back and see if its bent, the only thing that i can think of is that possibly the recoil assembly is seperating and allowing it to be longer than normal.
I assume that you are removing the rear of the recoil assembly from the barrel under lug first and not trying to remove the front section first?
Never had any problems with any of the three 24/7 that i have so just guessing here.

#7 ·
The gun operates just fine (I took it to the range today and fired another 50rds... I believe this puts the gun at around 800rds through it so far)... When I was done shooting I took it to the club room and tried to field strip it (I had 30 minutes to burn so I figured I would clean the gun at the club instead of at home)... I took the slide off, flipped it over and looked carefully to see if anything looked odd... I notice that there was a 1 mm gap between the end of the assembly and the barrel lug (ie it was not pressing against the lug) and it was angled to the side a little bit. I tried to twist and clean and lube and everything else I could think of, but could not the assembly out (I did not have anything hammer like with me to use my normal hammer trick). I then decided to just give up on the field strip and just use one of the club's bore snakes... I tried to put the slide back on but it did not want to go all the way; upon closer inspection I could see the recoil spring assembly was angled to the side and was catching on stuff... I had just enough room to use my finger to push the assembly back to the center which allowed the slide to move all the way back into position. I cycled the slide a dozen time and it worked just fine (like normal) so I did a quick cleaning with the bore snake and packed my stuff up. I'll try to take some photos later and see if I can tell if the rod is bent (if it is, it is very slight... like 1-2mm over the entire length).

So now I guess the next question becomes: If it is indeed bent, is there any harm in leaving it that way? What are the chances of Taurus sending me a new assembly without me needing to send in the entire gun? (it is only 3 weeks old and I don't want to give up my new toy for 1-2 months)

Thanks,
Daniel

#8 ·
Its possible that its un screwing, Mine did it and it took a bit to figure it out. Its hard to see and at some point it may get bent. A little blue Locktite did the trick. Hopefully its not bent. Good luck

#9 ·
I seem to recall that there was some issue with Millennium Pro style pistols and the recoil spring assembly pushing through the front of the slide due to the tolerance of the hole in the front of the slide or the diameter of the button on the front of the recoil rod. Is the recoil spring assembly sitting square and flush with the front of the slide?

#10 ·
I would think that Taurus will indeed send you a new recoil spring assembly and not need to send in the gun for just that.
If the person answering the phone is not up to doing this ask to speak to a supervisor and explain first that you do not want to be without the gun for 4 weeks, and two that Taurus will save some money by not having to ship it back to the factory and then back to you!
I would think this will make sense to them!
and if all that fails then simply order one and pay for it, I think the cost is under 8 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.