Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Scared of the Decocker...

4K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
No, not talking about Lorena Bobbit...

Is anyone else nervous whenever they use their decocker with a round in the chamber? Even though it's designed specifically to keep this from happening, I always feel like the gun is going to fire whenever I use it. That's one scary little "click" to listen for. I always make sure to point the gun somewhere safe, even at home, just in case.

Maybe it's just me though. I'm still relatively new to the 24/7 and to concealed carry in general.

#2 ·
I am as apprehensive as you are when decocking my pistols which are so equipped. And, like you, I always point the muzzle in a safe direction (usually at the couch cushion when I'm indoors).

#3 ·
First of all, the muzzle is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction. So, certainly any time you are aware of where your gun is pointed, any time you are handling the gun, it should be pointed in a safe direction.
Second, I'm not afraid (cautious, yeah) of the decocker. The 24/7 uses a transfer bar. If your finger is not on the trigger - it's not firing.

#4 ·
The only thing I hate about the decocker on mine is that it's harder to decock than it is to take off the safety. However, never had a hangup dropping the hammer after I chamber the first round. But I always make sure it's pointed away from anyone before using the decocker, and my finger is nowhere nar the trigger.

#5 ·
I prefer the decocker myself. When I was a police officer we carried S&W 9mm with a decocker. That was one feature of my 24/7 that sold me on it. I am so accustom to using it that I do not have any apprehension. It is going to take a little training though because the S&W decocked by pulling down on the lever and not pushing up. I can understand the feeling though, many of us felt the same way when we transitioned to the 9mm from the .357 revolver.

#7 ·
No worry at all!
as mentioned i never do anything with a weapon where the muzzle is not pointed in a safe direction.
the odds of a weapon firing while properly decocking I would think is a lot less than the weapon firing while someone is trying to ease the hammer down on a weapon without decocker.
I think decockers are a good idea personally, although i don't use them a lot!
I too like the idea of the decock being past the safety and also that it all works like a 1911 thumb safety to disenage or engage.

#8 ·
You'll get used to it. Just follow all the usual safe firearms handling practices. My first experience with a decocker was my P345 Ruger. When using the decocker it clicks quite loudly and at first was startling to say the least. After watching the mechanism, and using it for awhile, it doesn't bother me at all.

#9 ·
Someone on the forum had a 24/7 something repeatedly fire while decocking and this has me now stepping outside whenever I use the decocker on my OSS.
I have a Ruger P90 with a decocker but it is hammer fired and I see no way for the decocker to malfunction on it but the OSS being striker fired makes me wonder.

#10 ·
the ruger uses a transfer bar block just like the taurus. only difference is the taurus is a trigger activated transfer bar. and the ruger is activated by the decocker lever. both can fail in the same way. like all metal that gets hot and cold over and over again it becomes brittle. and over time has more tendency to shatter(break). if the transfer bar is the part that breaks then, BOOM!!!!!!! either way you are dropping the hammer, releasing the striker. the chance is there so buyer beware. the system is designed to work. but all man made products fail sometime. just practice the basic safety rules and youll be ok.

#13 ·
I have a Ruger P-90 with the de-cocker. When I bought it, I took it out to the range to test the de-cocker and sight it in with some factory ammo. I thought the de-cocker was a dubious device at best figuring the pistol would erupt in a loud BANG when I de-cocked the darned thing. Nothing. I tied several times. Still nothing!

I've had no troubles with it and have every confidence the de-cocker works just fine ---- just like Mrs. Bobbit! :D :D :D

#14 ·
I never give it thought... I have many firearms with decockers on them and I absolutely love them. Probably my favorite is the FNX9, I can decock it or carry it cocked and locked like a 1911...

Don't worry, that decocker was designed for a specific purpose, just make sure as everyone above stated, point the muzzle in a safe direction when you decock.

#15 ·
Like Smokewagon, I have a Ruger hammer fired w/ a decocker. You get used to the idea of pointing at the ground and hitting the lever. Pop has a Ruger P94 that is decocker only. It do make a snap that gets your attention, though.
I recently bought a 24/7 because it is striker fired with a decocker that reverts the pistol to double action. I like that. Makes me comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. Kind of like a 1911, your cocked and locked.
But, unlike a striker fired decocker, with the Ruger you can actually watch the firing pin move into the slide away from the hammer before the decocker drops the hammer. Probably works that way with most hammer fired w/ a decocker.

#16 ·
I experienced the same uneasy feeling each time I decocked, so I went out and bought a bucket and filled it with very heavy sand, which I keep in my garage.

Whenever I decock the gun in my house, I go out to the garage and point the muzzle down into the bucket of sand.

Maybe overkill, but gives me peace of mind.

#18 ·
I remember the first decocker on an semi auto that i ran across, a S & W semi, I think a model 39 or 59?
now I must admit at that time it was quite unnerving when i handled that weapon. but now its just regular old run of the mill thing, just be sure where the muzzle points.

#19 ·
after handling several sigs with decockers, i was kind of annoyed at having to switch to a beretta 96 without one...

i wish my 609 had one, mostly because i really dont like a single action first shot, and if i ever have to fire my weapon, i'd really really like to have a DA first shot just for added "yes, i really want to do this"

But i'm probably going to trade my 609 for a 809 in the near future, so a decocker is in my future.

#20 ·
I was nervous at first using the decocker on my 945, but I'm more than over it now. In fact, I love it for the same reason as you rabbitt. The SA pull is way to easy, so making sure that it's in DA mode keeps me from accidentally shooting someone if I'm giving someone a chance to disarm. Now it's like second nature to load the mag, rack the slide, decock and pop on the safety.

#21 ·
RonJ said:
I experienced the same uneasy feeling each time I decocked, so I went out and bought a bucket and filled it with very heavy sand, which I keep in my garage.

Whenever I decock the gun in my house, I go out to the garage and point the muzzle down into the bucket of sand.

Maybe overkill, but gives me peace of mind.
Many Police Agencies have or have had a barrel filled with sand in which to decock or dry fire their Pistols into.

Most of the time, I usually just step out onto my back patio, load, point the Pistol at the Dirt in my back yard, and decock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.