Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Quick Cleaning question

956 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
Last night I cleaned my 24/7 OSS 9m (my first handgun) for the 2nd time (it now has 250 rnds through it)... I took my time and clean everything as per all the guides/video/websites that I have seen... I notice when I started to reassemble the gun that I had not touched my recoil spring assembly (I don't recall any guide mentioning it)... I wiped it down with CLP and got a little bit of carbon and red paint off of it (mostly from the spring)... when I was done reassembling and was cycling the slide I noticed that I had a big drop of oil on the end of the barrel so I wiped it off and in the process I rubbed up against the recoil spring guide rod and got a lot of black stuff on my hand... I took my rag and wiped off the 1" section of exposed rod and then finished up cycling and putting everything away. That got be thinking though: should I be pulling back the recoil spring to expose the guide rod and cleaning it off each time as part of my cleanings? Also, how often do I really need to clean out the Mags? (The manual says every 100rnds which seem excessive... after 250 rnds of cheap UMC ammo the mags had very little dirt in or on them.)

Thanks, Daniel

#2 ·
I don't disassemble the recoil spring of my PT 145 when I clean it, just wipe down the exterior with a lightly oiled rag and will push it in the spiral and spin it to clean while holding the rag in the twists.

#3 ·
yep, the recoil spring/rod gets sprayed with Gunscrubber, then a light drop of CLP on it at reassembly.
The easiest way to clean the recoil rod is to reassemble the pistol, rack the slide back and lock it, the springs will be back off the rod at that point and simply wipe it down if you feel it is needed.
as for magazines unless i note a binding /sticking problem mine gets disassembled and cleaned maybe every 6-12 months.
Welcome to the forum.

#4 ·
I always clean the recoil sping and rod every time on my stainless 945, mostly because they have to come out to remove the barrel. Otherwise I can't clean the residue off the top of the ports, which makes it look like crap. I use RemOil myself and spray a shop rag down to leave a coating across all the moving pieces before I reassemble.

About every 3rd or 4th cleaning I apply a light coating of PB Blaster before wiping off the excess with a rag. I like using that because it penetrates the metal a little better than WD-40, but the smell isn't much better. Either way, as long as you're getting all the soot and extra oils out of it you should be fine. For my mags I just use the straw on my RemOil and spray them down through the indicator holes, hang them upside down and let the crap run out. I'll spray them a couple more times until it drips clear and wipe the excess off after blowing them out with a can of compressed air.

Some guys even add a light coating of grease (applied with a small brush) to the slide to keep them from hanging up on the rails, but that's a personal choice. If you go that route, don't just grab the first grease you see. Something that can stand up to high heat like a synthetic brake/bearing grease that won't start running out your gun after like 50 rounds.

#5 ·
use a tooth brush with CLP to clean the spring after disassembly.
rack the slide back after reassembly and using a cotton swab and CLP wipe the rod. Apply a drop of oil (REM) with other end of swap ot rod.

Ready to go.

I clean my mags once the follower shows a lot of blowback. Mags are easy. take appart, wipe down with cloth and CLP. Put back together. I don't use any additional oils as the CLP is enough on the spings. Since I cycle my mags for carry (one in gun, one in pocket) i keep them clean and ready to go after a range trip.

#9 ·
For Match use, I generally clean my magazines about every 500 rounds or just before a Major Match, unless the Pistol is being used/kept for defensive duty, then those magazines are clean.

Most contamination arrives in the upper third of the Magazine Tube.

I generally clean the Recoil Spring Assembly with a Spray down of Polymer Safe Gunscrubber or equivalent then Relube it. No dis-assembly required. I use Straight 30w Motor Oil on the Taurus Recoil Spring Assemblies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.