Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 .40 S&W Ammo

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Plumcrazy 
#1 ·
I bought a 24/7 Pro DS in .40 S&W. I love it, my 4'11" wife loves it, my 17 yr old son loves it, and my 15 yr. old daughter loves it. We have put 100 rds through it so far. On the first box (Academy Sports Monarch brand 180 gr) I had three misfires. The primers looked like thay had good enough dimples in the primer that the bullet should have fired. The first one I reloaded and it fired, the others I have kept aside. All three misfires were from the same box. Is the pistol sensitive to cheaper ammo? I keep Hornady Tap FPD in it, the Monarch was just for practice/familiarization. Fired five of the Hornady, no issues.

Thanks

#2 ·
I would try some better ammo. I have used Monarch ammo before in my Ruger P89 and it worked fine, it it just really dirty. Federal ammo is my favorite. It is somewhat inexpensive at Walmart and it always works. That is all I ever use in my 24/7.

#3 ·
I have put about 350 round through my OSS .40 mixed between ultramax reman ammo, Herters brass case (Cabelas), and Winchester white box. All have been flawless but we had a couple misfires from Blazer ammo out of the Glock. Too bad the Glock does not revert to double action in case of a misfire!

#4 ·
Congratulations on your purchase! The 24/7 Pro D/S is an Excellent choice,I love mine.My advice: Try everything.For target practice I use either Blazer or Canned Heat(Georgia Arms) 180gr.Buying in bulk will save you $.For cc I use Winchester PDX-1. I've put about 800 rds. through mine and no problems.

#6 ·
I have only shot American Eagle FMJ at the range and Pow'r Ball for self defense practice and carry. But American Eagle is cheap ammo theoretically speaking and have had no problems

#9 ·
I recently bought two 50-round boxes of Winchester .40 S&W Ranger Law Enforcement JHP Ammo for $15.00 per box at my LGS.

Wow! This stuff is great, and cycles like a dream through my PT740 Slim. I went back yesterday and bought two more boxes.

#10 ·
MilProGuy said:
I recently bought two 50-round boxes of Winchester .40 S&W Ranger Law Enforcement JHP Ammo for $15.00 per box at my LGS.

Wow! This stuff is great, and cycles like a dream through my PT740 Slim. I went back yesterday and bought two more boxes.
135 grain or 155 grain?

I've used both...and like them both.

Those 135 grainers are an overrun for a Federal LE agency (Immigration and Customs Enforcement, I believe) They really rocket out of my 24/7 Pro 4-inch (Chronographed them at over 1300 fps)

#11 ·
NYPD® said:
135 grain or 155 grain?

I've used both...and like them both.

Those 135 grainers are an overrun for a Federal LE agency (Immigration and Customs Enforcement, I believe) They really rocket out of my 24/7 Pro 4-inch (Chronographed them at over 1300 fps)
Thely are 135 grainers. The clerk informed me that they are, indeed, an overrun of Homeland Security ammo.

At this price ($15.00) I may go back next week and buy a couple of more boxes. :D

#12 ·
Not being familiar with .40 ammo, this is a continuing debate in other calibers also, but just want to see if there is a consensus on .40 S&W...Heavier bullet or lighter bullet w/faster muzzle velocity? If velocity is too high bullet may pass through w/o much damage, depending on bullet expansion.

#13 ·
cucruzn said:
USA AMMO is my preferred source for .40 ammo. I buy the new hollow points in 180 gr for all of my shooting, practice and carry. Have not had any misfires in over 1500 rounds. Federal hollow points for the price most charge for ball ammo.
I keep looking at USA AMMO and the prices seem to be hard to beat. I was curious if you have tried any of their reman stuff?

#14 ·
I own the 24/7 Pro DS .40 as well and I've put only WWB (Winchester White Box) 180 gr. through it at the range and I've yet to have a problem. It seems to work well and is relatively inexpensive around here. (I pay $30 for a box of 100 rds. at a store called Meijers. A local Walmart-esque store.)

#16 ·
The Squatch said:
I own the 24/7 Pro DS .40 as well and I've put only WWB (Winchester White Box) 180 gr. through it at the range and I've yet to have a problem. It seems to work well and is relatively inexpensive around here. (I pay $30 for a box of 100 rds. at a store called Meijers. A local Walmart-esque store.)
ditto NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS AMMO. I have had 1 misfire in about 500 rounds. and I dont think it was the ammo. I think the bullet wasnt in the chamber right gun was verry verry dirty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.