Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 VS XDM

6K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  for2nato 
#1 ·
I'm a wheel man first and foremost. But lately I've been thinking about getting a pistol.

These are the two I've narrowed it down too. 24/7 40S&W and a XDM 40S&W.
What I would like to know is, is one better then the other?

I know the 24/7 is a little cheaper(cost wise) and it weighs about 5oz lighter. Other then that I'm at a loss.

I have never shot either one but I have handled the XDM. gotta say I love the grip other than that I'm back to flipping quarters.

So any and all imput on these two pistols would be helpful.
again I'm only interested in these two pistols and the 40 cal.

Thanks in advance...

#3 ·
I've shot quite a few XD's and XDM's. They are very well made, reliable, and accurate. I've seen them take a lot of punishment at my clubs Range and deliver very good performance.

I OWN and operate two 24/7's, a 9mm 24/7Pro and a .45 24/7 OSS. They are also very well made, reliable, and accurate. I've definitely put them thru some excercise at my clubs range and have gotten very good results without issue.

I prefer the grip ergonomics and trigger actions of the 24/7's.

You can't really go wrong with either one, but the differences I mentioned do it for me.

#4 ·
I have shot an xdm9 once. It felt really nice and was very accurate. Smooth crisp trigger that broke around mid stroke.

That made me want a full size 9, and since I didn't have the cash for one, I got a 24/7 OSS 9. I would try to handle the 24/7 before you decide since the trigger actions are different. The taurus has a second strike feature, meaning if round doesn't go bang, it reverts to DA and hit the same round again. Because of this feature, the trigger has some take up before you hit resistance. Once you hit it, the trigger is still very short and crisp with very short reset. That take up goes away in DA mode. The Taurus also has a decocker on the newer models so you can carry first round in DA like your wheel guns.

Bot are very nice choices. Just get your hands on both to see how you like them. I would have got the xdm if I could swing the extra cash. But I am very happy with my 24/7.

#5 ·
I have never shot the XDm, but I have been very happy with my 24/7. So far, it has been very reliable and accurate. And, I paid $269 for my 24/7 which is probably less than half the price of the XDm. If the two gun were the same price, I may have bought the XDm just because I really like the looks of it. The 24/7 feels to be very well made and it has a lot of features. That combined with the low price, I just could not get a XDm.

#6 ·
I've shot my son's 4" XD in 40. I really like the feel of the gun and the sights. I like the disassembly lever beter than a pin pull on a Taurus (This would not be an issue with a G2 from what I've seen). I've never shot a Taurus in 40 only 45. The XD has a little twist and a sharp flip in the recoil. My PT145 has just a sharp flip, no noticable twist.

#7 ·
The 24/7 and the SA XDM are both very nice pistols, and if they were the same price I would probably take the XDM. However, the 24/7 is much cheaper and I don't think the XDM is worth the price difference. 24/7 pistols around my area are going for $300, depending on which one you want. If you can find a XDM under $500 you are lucky. Both of those pistols, along with the S&W M&P and HK's USP, were entered in the SOCOM competition for a new high cap .45 Auto and they all did well. So I would consider any of those designs to be very good and more than good enough for personal use.

Among these 4 designs, I think it really boils down to getting the most pistol for your money, and I think that puts the Taurus in the lead. None of these pistols is significantly better than the others, so it really does boil down to personal taste and money.

#9 ·
Markmmg said:
I have never shot the XDm, but I have been very happy with my 24/7. So far, it has been very reliable and accurate. And, I paid $269 for my 24/7 which is probably less than half the price of the XDm. If the two gun were the same price, I may have bought the XDm just because I really like the looks of it. The 24/7 feels to be very well made and it has a lot of features. That combined with the low price, I just could not get a XDm.
My thoughts exactly. I shot an XD9 and it felt really good in my hands, but I didn't like shooting it as well.

#10 ·
well haven't shot a XDM but once !
so kind of hard to really make a statement of it.
shot good, felt pretty good.
I recently took my much ignored Taurus 24/7 C Pro D/S in 9MM to the range after months and months of not shooting it.
the gun was just like I shot it yesterday!
just a wonderful really short sweet trigger reset, no recoil or muzzle jump hardly at all.
I don't think i will ever get rid of it, the 24/7c in 45acp, or my OSS in 45.

#11 ·
I have the XD40 (not M) and it is no doubt my best shooter. The single action only trigger is well worth the extra money-and then some. The 2nd strike capability on the 24/7 sounds good, but what it does is cost a good trigger. The XD shoots better-period.
Now, the 40 cal is probably the worst round made for enjoyment. It does pack a little more punch than the 9mm but your hand pays the difference. Unless you are just determined to get 40 cal- I would recommend 9mm. Its nearly as powerful and is much more of a pleasure to shoot. If power is your concern...then I would go for 45 acp. If you do choose 45- then Springfield has a model with a thumb safety-which I do recommend. But only in 45.
On the other hand if you choose the 24/7 then they all come with a de-cocker safety.
Another gun you might look at for the same money as the 24/7 is the PT-800 series. Its very similar except with an exposed hammer-. They make 809, 840, and 845. I have the 845 and it is another very good shooter.
There is nothing wrong with the 24/7. But you may like the 800 better.

#12 ·
AHH, just for clarification Bro john!
the 24/7 is a double action only gun, no decocker
the 24/7 Pro is a single action/double action -no decocker
the 24/7 Pro D/S is a single action/double action with a decocker.
the 24/7 OSS D/S is a single action/ double action with a deccoker.
so be careful which you buy if the decocker is important.
I believe all 4 models that i list can still be found for sale, although the regular 24/7 is pretty rare now.
hope this helps!

#13 ·
Like brojohn,I also have a XD40 (Service model) & its My most reliable shooter.For the money its well worth it.While I've never had any issues with My Taurus handguns,my wifes PT140MPro has been sent back twice,for the same problem.While waiting for her pistol to come back,she bought an XD40 sub-compact.Very accurate & reliable,It's become Her primary carry weapon.I've read mixed reviews about the XDM-We're happy with our XD's.

#14 ·
both pistols are quality pieces. i have shot both extensively and they both hold their own. trigger and grip are the main differences. so handle both and go with the one that feels the best in your hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.