Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS .40 not charging rounds

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BW64 
#1 ·
Hi, all.

My first post! Unfortunately, it's a problem :(

I purchased a new Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS .40 with 4 15 round magazines in December of last year. My first handgun. I've taken it out about 5 times now. I clean it after every shoot.

The last two times I've gone out I've had multiple instances where the slide would lock back even though there were additional rounds in the magazine. I'd look in there and the round would be sitting right there. I can manually release the slide by pulling back on the slide with my other hand and thumbing the slide release. The next round will load. I fire the round and the slide would lock back. Again, more rounds available in the magazine.

At first I thought it might be a magazine issue, so I set that mag aside. It proceeded to happen with two other mags. I've started numbering the mags so I can keep track of which ones, if not all, this occurs on.

One of the guys I was shooting with last time had it lock back after every round. The magazine I had given him had a full 15 rounds in it. I took the magazine, loaded it with 10 rounds, and fired all 10 without a problem. I reloaded the same mag with another 10 rounds and fired all 10 of THOSE without a problem. I switched to another mag and it locked back with rounds still in it :(

The first two times I was out I was using mixed rounds of WWB and Federal. The last three times I went out it was with WWB only. I bought two boxes of Federal and swapped all the WWB out to see if it makes a difference, I haven't gone back out yet.

I did read in other threads that the Federal is marginally smaller than the WWB and in some 24/7s works better.

Everyone who fired it also says it is firing down and to the left. I thought it was just me, but more than just me is saying that. I can deal with that later.

Tonight after cleaning it I loaded it with 15 Hydra-Shoks (my home storage ammo). Working the action with the Hydra-Shoks loaded is VERY stiff and rough. Not smooth at all. I have to put a little pressure on the slide to get it to release and charge the round. The Federal wadcutters are much smoother. I've never actually fired a Hydra-Shok through it yet (those little bastards are expensive) but if I had to predict what would happen, from the feel of the action, I would say the slide would lock back after the first round.

So, a few questions... 1) Suggestions as to my methodology to figure out this problem? 2) Are all 24/7 .40 magazines the same? If not, perhaps I got one or two that does not fit this gun (even though they seem to fit fine) 3) Other thoughts?

Thanks.

Mick

See less See more
#2 ·
I am by no means an expert here- but I also have a 24/7 Pro DS .40 and I have had a couple of 'ftf' or failure to feed issues as well. They only occurred when I limp wristed the gun. Once I braced my elbows on the shooting pad and fired 2 rounds- 2 rounds locked the slide back and the next round didn't feed. One other time I was shooting one handed with my weak hand and it did the same thing. All of the rest of the 800 or so rounds I have put through it have fed and extracted fine. I bought 2 new mags from Cabelas recently as well- they are on sale by the way- with no other issues.

I have used WWB, Federal and Remington ammo with no issues as well- except for what I stated above. Most was FMJ, but JHP has fed fine as well. My gun was new at the end of Feb 2011.

I don't know if this helps you, but I hope it can.

Dave

#3 ·
I have both the full and compact model 24/7 .40's. I have found that Federal rounds (fmj) have a more rounded tip than wwb and work flawlessly, whereas the wwb seem to cycle much "rougher " through the action. WWB seem to have a much flatter and sharper "edge" on top. Just my thoughts on the issue. I'm certainly no expert. And as always, make sure the feed ramp is kept polished nice and pretty.

#5 ·
well as you have tried several different magazines and it continues then it seems that the problem may lay in the Slide stop itself.
Apparently it is raising up even with a full magazine of ammo in it.
try the gun with a empty mag and see how the stop works, it should lock rearward, then remove the magazine and pull the slide rearward and release (do not touch the slide release),see if the slide will return forward without you touching the slide stop.
IT should.
Is there is the possibility that you are raising the slide stop as you are firing the weapon?
look down in the magazine well from the top and see how slide stop engages the magazine follower with the empty magazine.
as for the chambering of the Federal hydra shoks in the gun, all i can say is that its not wise to assume that any particular ammunition will function in any gun unless you have tested it.
as for how expensive it is?
well I guess that is dependant on how much your life is worth to you.
Number 1 Rule in self defense ammunition-- It works everytime in the gun, not just sometimes!
the low and left?/ well was everyone shooting the gun right handed??
how much experince did these people have with firearms?
welcome to the Forum!

#6 ·
winchester1886 said:
I have a 24/7 Pro 40 DS.I have had 0 malfunctions,have you taken your mags apart and cleaned them? If your hand rides up high on the grip you may bump the slide stop without being aware of it. just a thought.
+1 No malies at all even with my mouse fart reloads!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.