Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Which is the correct sighting picture to use with the 3 dot sights?

29K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dpicts 
#1 ·
I need a bit of coaching as to what sight picture to use with my 24/7. I'm new to the 3 dot sights and since all my shots seem to be going low, I know I'm doing something wrong...
Which of the three is correct?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
well the manual will say one thing, another manual will say another, and then people will say another.
all of my Taurus shoot the center selection, point of aim = point of impact, this incldes the one with the hienie sights(two dot).
Now so does my colt 1911, my stoeger couger and practically all my weapons with three dot sights, although several of the manuals said a 6 O'clock hold (which is picture #1).
I always start off using what the manual says and then sight what works best.
the best way to sight of course is off a bench and bags to remove as much shooter error as possible, then move to freehand and test it out.
Sorry there really is no easy answer other than you, fire your gun, and see what works best for you.
Remember that these are defensive /combat type sights and are not designed for hair splitting accuracy, they are designed to place a projectile on a human sized target at varying distances.

#3 ·
I had never even heard of sight picture #2 until I started reading the forums. I had always adjusted my sights to sight picture #3. Never used the 6 o'clock hold.
With sights that are not adjustable for elevation, it really is a matter of what the distance is to the target. Since non elevation adjustable sights can only be on at two distances with any one hold it is just a matter of trying each gun to see where it hits with each sight picture.

I usually shoot from a rest to see where the sights/POA intersect and then adjust how deep in the rear notch I put the front sight for other distances.

The proper sight picture is whatever it takes for you to hit what you think you're aiming at no matter what it looks like.

#6 ·
I sent in my G2 for repair for a major malfunction yesterday. I informed them the pistol is shooting low off a rest with the elevation adjusted to the max, requested that they change the front sight to a lower one so the POI will get raise about 2". I am hoping this will allow me to use the 6 o'clock hold.

#7 ·
I think it various according to the shooter and the weapon. I use # 3 with my pistols, but often use #2 for rifles. Go with what works for you and just adjust your hold/then your sights to get it where you want it. The answer is being consistent so it is second nature for you.

k4swb said:
The proper sight picture is whatever it takes for you to hit what you think you're aiming at no matter what it looks like.
Using #3 I can hit anything within 50 feet plus and still see what I am aiming at and this helps keep my sight picture constant. Never could use a 6 O'clock hold and make it work consistently for me. I think the best way is the way that works for you!

#8 ·
Okay I bought my first handgun this weekend; a 24/7 OSS 9mm .... I grew up hunting with shotguns and rifles and always used #2 as my sighting method... I've rented and fired a couple of glocks at the range and used #2 to aim and could hit within 2" of the center at 25y. I noticed that the manual's description of aiming matches #2 as well. Today I went to the range at lunch to fire my new 24/7... I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but at 10y I would use #2 and aim 6" up and right of the center and the poi would be 8" down and left of center... I Pulled it back to 5y and first shot hit dead center (while aiming at the center using #3), next shot (aimed in same location) was 1inch away... moved target back to 10y and same problem as before... moved it to 25y and the poi was now 16" down and left of my aim point. Like I said, I know I can hold a pistol and hit my target at 25+yards (when I used the glocks (the only semi-autos they rent), both 9mm and 40 sw, and using a 22 lugar), but I just could not figure out the sights on this 24/7... Any advice would be much appreciated.

Daniel

#9 ·
dpicts said:
Okay I bought my first handgun this weekend; a 24/7 OSS 9mm .... I grew up hunting with shotguns and rifles and always used #2 as my sighting method... I've rented and fired a couple of glocks at the range and used #2 to aim and could hit within 2" of the center at 25y. I noticed that the manual's description of aiming matches #2 as well. Today I went to the range at lunch to fire my new 24/7... I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but at 10y I would use #2 and aim 6" up and right of the center and the poi would be 8" down and left of center... I Pulled it back to 5y and first shot hit dead center (while aiming at the center using #3), next shot (aimed in same location) was 1inch away... moved target back to 10y and same problem as before... moved it to 25y and the poi was now 16" down and left of my aim point. Like I said, I know I can hold a pistol and hit my target at 25+yards (when I used the glocks (the only semi-autos they rent), both 9mm and 40 sw, and using a 22 lugar), but I just could not figure out the sights on this 24/7... Any advice would be much appreciated.

Daniel
My OSS 9 shoots dead on using pic #3. Try shoooting it off a rest of some sort to eliminate as much of your mechanics as possible and then make a determination.

#10 ·
The difference in being off a little and a lot is the movement when you shoot!
the farther you go away from you the more any malfunction in your style will show up!
Kind of like me see I can hit a golf ball on the green everytime from 5 feet away, now let me back up to about 100 yards and i am in the treeline everytime!
Different guns , different feel,different triggers, different problems!
MY 24/7's all three shoot POA=POI for me.

#11 ·
I think I may have figured out my issue... tonight after cleaning the gun I was dry firing it and realized that I was squeezing the trigger with my middle joint (something I know I never did with other guns)... Must be the difference in grips; I'll have to pay close attention when I go the range next time (My attention was not on my grip today... the gun was jamming after every single shot until about rnd 40, then it jammed 5 times over rounds 41-60, then was fine for 61-100... all my attention was focused on the jamming. Now that I think the springs are loosened up and it has had a good cleaning and lube, hopefully I won't have any more jams and I can focus on my grip and such.)

Thank,
Daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.