Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus 24/7 OSS recoil spring replacement?

10K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jeffa 
#1 ·
Taurus 24/7 OSS : Is it acceptable to take off the recoil spring loop and replace the recoil spring then reassemble or must I purhase a full assembly each time the recoil spring needs to be replaced?

I typically replace my recoil springs every 3,000 rounds.

#2 ·
Is this necessary? If so, I'm way over due.

#3 ·
3,000 rounds seems way too short. 300,000 would be more like it.
Did you ever actually measure the performance of a spring with 3,000 rounds vs. a new spring? It wouldn't require much technology - a ruler and a scale.

#4 ·
I have broken many Berettas at 5,000 rounds cracked frame, locking block, trigger bar etc.. I have had the guide rails separte from a Glock at 6,000 rounds and a barrel lug broken on an H&K at 10,000 rounds.

With that said I believe in preventative maintenance and the minimal cost of a recoil spring is nothing. At 5,000 rounds on numerous Berettas you will see a difference in length of 1 to 2 inches consistantly. The other springs were casptured and the disatnce that the empty cases were ejected was in some instances twice as far as with a new captured spring at 5,000 rounds. No measuring devices were necessary. In one way or another it was all very visual and the felt recoil is considerably more.

I have seen 30,000 and 50,000 recorded rounds out of Berettas that had a recoil spring changed every 3,000 rounds. I have changed my H&K recoil spring every 3,000 rounds on my H&K and have 11,000 rounds through it with the only problem being a broken trigger spring at about 10,500 rounds.

#5 ·
jeffa said:
I have broken many Berettas at 5,000 rounds cracked frame, locking block, trigger bar etc.. I have had the guide rails separte from a Glock at 6,000 rounds and a barrel lug broken on an H&K at 10,000 rounds.
well thank goodness you finally got a quality pistol that doesn't need all that maintenance!-LOL
The OSS was designed for the military test trials and so is basically a tank, but its your pistola and so you can swap parts as much as makes you comfortable.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the OSS.

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome, but I still need to know what to do with the recoil spring change. It looks as if it may not come as a captured unit and that the recoil spring can be swapped out by removing the recoil spring loop putting on a new recoil spring then securing the recoil spring loop again.

When I was looking through the expanded parts diagram the three components of the recoil spring are all numbered seperatly. When I call to order parts the people that I speak with only know the parts and cost and not much else.

I will probably order all thre parts and go from there, I think I just answered my own question. I will give an update when my parts arrive.

#7 ·
jeffa said:
Taurus 24/7 OSS : Is it acceptable to take off the recoil spring loop and replace the recoil spring then reassemble or must I purhase a full assembly each time the recoil spring needs to be replaced?

I typically replace my recoil springs every 3,000 rounds.
Caliber???

3,000 rounds seems a bit soon for any caliber. I would go at least 6,000 rounds for any caliber. I've gone 8,000 on .45's and 10,000 to 12,000 on 9mm's but the latter may have been a bit much. It also depends upon what kind of Ammo you've been feeding your Pistol a steady diet of.

It's really hard to put a number on when you should change out a recoil spring, but it should be done if you feel your slide is impacting the frame too much or before that.

I would give Wolff Gunsprings a call and see if they know how to disassemble that captive spring/guide rod assembly.

For the .45 ACP 24/7 OSS, the Factory Spring is rated at 18 lb.s For the 9mm 24/7 OSS, I would use a 15 lb. recoil spring. For the .40, you're on your own, but I would guess 16 lb.s

#8 ·
When I had to order a new captive spring assembly yesterday (BRAND new out of box, the button on the end was broken) they acted like it was all made together, spring held on by button.

#9 ·
I ordered a full set for my PT 145 at the same time that I needed to order the teeny FP return spring that magically dissappeared. I was going to wait on the install of the "not immediately needed" springs, but put them all in as I bought the pistol used with no idea of it's history. The recoil spring comes from Taurus as an assembly (not that expensive)...others here have replaced only the large and/or small springs from Wolf and you can find their threads in the forum. I just changed out my PT 1911 spring after some 7,000 rounds on that pistol.

#10 ·
Would seem a shame to throw away the all steel full length guide rod on a 24/7 OSS just to replace the Recoil Spring. But then again, maybe the factory does not want us messing around with different spring weights.

#11 ·
I've heard some of the 1911 "experts" say to replace the micro 1911 recoil springs at 1,500 rounds, so 3,000 on your 24/7 OSS doesn't sound that far out of line. As long as it helps you, it doesn't matter what others think. In any case after the first replacement you will have a definitive answer as to what needs to be replaced.

BTW, in the SOCOM RFP for a new high cap .45 Auto, the OSS was, according to insiders, leading the pack in reliability and I think they were firing something like 30,000 rounds through each pistol in the competition.

#12 ·
They shot 10,000 rounds through that 24/7 in Nevada to set the speed steel record and never made any mention of having to replace anything.
I wish I had the resources like some people out there to be able to shoot the kinds of rounds per year you all talk about. Fact is I have neither the money nor the place to shoot that much. I guess I'll never have to worry about having to replace a recoil spring to that end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.