Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Time to adjust the sights?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ironmagz 
#1 ·
Well, my 9mm OSS is a year old now, and I'm wondering if I need to adjust my sights. Here is how my question came about. I recently purchased a Glock 27 (for concealed carry) and shot it for the first time yesterday. I was shooting at cans from 7-10 yards, (I got black targets, and it wasn't a good idea because it's hard to tell where you are hitting) and after getting used to the trigger I was able to hit cans from the distance quite reliably. I figured I'd get out my OSS and really start picking em off, but I kept missing. After shooting at the target for a magazine I was getting the low and left. It's always been like that, but I just figured I was jerking the trigger and more practice was needed. Since the OSS should be way more accurate than a 3.5" barrel gun, it's making me wonder if the sights are the problem. So what are your guys opinions? more practice or is it time to get out the allen wrench?

#2 ·
do you shoot groups at low and left??
if so then tap the rear sight over a bit, of course the low is a bit harder to adjust.
IF you can't shoot groups then all the sight adjusting in the world ain't gonna help a lot.

#3 ·
Yes, I've had groups low and left since purchasing the gun. I just figured that I needed some practice. I did practice shooting with the front dot sight just above the rear sight, instead of lined up. That brought my aim up about on par. Originally I didn't want to mess with the sights, but now I think I might have to.

#4 ·
MgoblueM said:
So what are your guys opinions? more practice or is it time to get out the allen wrench?
Sir, please step away from that allen wrench................

More Practice.

Going from one gun to another with a very different trigger can confuse your reflexes.

#5 ·
Glock has a different cant to the grip. I've seen blogs about having to change one's grip to bring the shots back in line.

Somebody else jump in here. I'm not qualified to help.

#6 ·
I might suggest getting a sandbag or other suitable surface to get the gun nice and steady. Secure enough that by pulling the trigger it stays well put. Then see where the bullets are going. If it tightens up the group substantially, (which it should if the rest is working well) and the group is still the same low and left, then you could assume the sights need adjusted. Take your allen wrench with you and if it's the same issue then move the rear sight to the right and try again, it will feel a lot better once you get it to shoot to POA. Of course height will be something you have to adjust with your sight picture, or with a new sight or two eventually if it doesn't come up on its own.

How many rounds do you have through it now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.