Taurus Firearm Forum banner

.40 cal Pro-C FTF Issues

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  droptoptrk 
#1 ·
I have the 24/7 Pro-C .40 cal. and I absolutely love the way the grip feels in my hand and the way it shoots.
I am having a FTF issue though. I have cleaned the feed ramp as well as everything else, but I am averaging 1 to 2 FTF per magazine.
In each case I can pull back the slide and the round will chamber, so no real jams, more of an irritation.
I have noticed that the fails are more regular after I have fired a hundred or so rounds at the range, so is is a heat or residue build up issue?
I disassembled the mags and cleaned them inside and out. There was quite a bit of residue so that may have been gumming up the feed.
I have been primarily shooting factory reloads FMJs to save money at the range and I did notice that when I loaded it with the Red Dot JHPs I had no fails.
So is it an ammo issue? I have read several posts here where people are shooting reloads and I want to start reloading myself.

Any past experiences and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm new to handguns for the most part but it sounds like the FTFs have been a combination of ammo type and less than perfect mags.

I've learned that many semi-autos can be picky on ammo type so it's good to try as many as you can. Is the gun new? Maybe you're still working throught the break-in period. Is there unusual wear around the feed ramp that may be causing the jams? My 24/7 OSS 9mm mags were stiff as hell and I discovered that loading 15 of the 17 capacity would help a lot.

My gun is out for repair right now so I'm loading and unloading the mags everyday to loosen the springs until my gun returns.

#3 ·
Thanks.

Not new, and like I said, the magazines were pretty bad. I bought 2 new "California Legal" magazines, maybe that will help.
For clarification by FTF I meant "Failure to Feed" not "Failure to Fire." She fires straight and cleanly ejects every time.

#4 ·
The problem was apparently the mags. No problems at the range today. New mags and freshly cleaned mags all cycled fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.