Taurus Firearm Forum banner

is the 24/7 really that good...

4K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  Pa_Ache 
#1 ·
.. I kno I'm on a Taurus forum,but as a gun lover of all types,I ask this question,is the 24/7 series of weapons,compact or not, reasonably comparitive to the "premier" weapons out there, the Sigs,H&Ks' etc,,,,there is an old but proven adage that "you get what you pay for",from my service knowledge I understand that there are solid performing weapons out there,but dont see alot of Taurus weaponry on that list,,just trying to get some feedback on taurus owners,not looking to get alot of hate responses,but if you must,I have broad shoulders..

#2 ·
I'll make my contribution short and sweet~~pictured below are three of my most favorite Taurus handguns.

All three have been 120% reliable and are a joy to shoot. The OSS is the most awesome handgun I've ever fired!

top-----Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
middle-- Taurus PT738 TCP
bottom--Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact DS .45

#3 ·
SnakeDoctor said:
is the 24/7 series of weapons,compact or not, reasonably comparitive to the "premier" weapons out there, the Sigs,H&Ks' etc,,,,there is an old but proven adage that "you get what you pay for",from my service knowledge I understand that there are solid performing weapons out there,but dont see alot of Taurus weaponry on that list,
List??? What list? Who compiled that list?

I'm thinking you may be given that mental list from impression by the general gun media.

My general opinion of the current 24/7 Pro DS is that it is as good as it gets! Admittedly, I own two, a 9mm 24/7 Pro and a .45 24/7 OSS Pro DS LS.

That said, when I brought the first one, it was out of curiosity, I loved the grip, and I really was not sure I was going to like it. I thought I might have bought something I was just going to keep around as an occasional shooter. Ha! As I was shooting it, it just kept performing. Turned out to be one of the best primary sidearms I could have bought!

I own and have owned much more expensive sidearms, but I believe I've gotten as much or more performance from my 24/7's. To me, it makes some of those higher priced arms, over-rated. Now I am sort of a fan of some of those other guns (FN, Beretta, H&K, SigArms, Walther, SA-XD, Tanfoglio, CZ ) and could use them if I had to, as I still have some of them, but for me, the current 24/7 is it!

You certainly can pay more and the other guns certainly are of good value, but I don't think you get more.

#4 ·
I am not a gun expert and I have only owned my 24/7 Pro DS for a few months. I also own a Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and a Beretta pistol. That being said, the Taurus 24/7 has been every bit as good as the other pistols that I own. I have shot my Ruger P89 9mm quite a bit over the last 18 years and it has never once jammed. The Taurus 24/7 has never jammed either. I do see lots of posts on here with people saying that their brand new gun is not functioning right. I am not a member of any other forumns so I do not know if other brand guns have a similar number of problems or not.

In my limited experience, my 24/7 has been a very good gun that performs flawlessly.

#5 ·
jwc007™ said:
You certainly can pay more and the other guns certainly are of good value, but I don't think you get more.
I definitely agree with that. Taurus have a great amount of safetey features and the fit and finish of the 24/7 series is awesome.

#6 ·
Half my guns are Taurus. The 24/7 is my favorite, for its appearance, comfort and performance.

#8 ·
I can tell you my 24/7 is the best pistol I have ever owned and shot. Don't let the price or "some" reviews convince you they aren't worth a try, because they are GREAT! I had the chance for a Glock and passed it over for my 24/7 and have no regrets. The feel, performance and accuracy are as good as you can get with an out of the box pistol. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.................

#9 ·
I think, personally the 24/7 is a great platform, I am not sure about the new G2 line, but only since I haven't handled one... yet. I don't have the compact versions, not much on compact pistols, at 6'1" ~200 lbs, I don't really need anything compact so I prefer the long slide myself. I love Taurus I think they have some great stuff, I am also a SIG fan and would feel equally fine using either.

#10 ·
A few months ago I set out to find a full size .45. I spent a good 2 months researching. I made a list of the features I wanted and the ones I didn't. My top guns were Sig, HK, and Ruger. But none of them fit the list completely. Then I stumbled upon the 24/7. It fit my list and then some. The biggest feature I was looking for was da/sa with a decoder. Along with capacity and a narrow grip. And I did NOT a funky safety trigger thing! The 24/7 seemed perfect.
I started reading reviews. Like any research online, I ignore the worst 10% and the best 10%. As there will always be hates and fan boys....but the truth does in the middle. I found a lot of positive reviews from pros and regular guys. I poked around here for a while too. My decision was made. Walled into sportsman warehouse and plucked down $325 for a great gun!
I had a p89 for years, it was a workhorse, but this 24/7 is a much smoother gun, much more comfortable to shoot. I have shoot Sigs, HKs, and a lot of 1911's. I prefer my 24/7 to all of them....except if I was shooting competition, I would take a custom 1911.
JMHO....

#12 ·
;D
IS the 24/7 series that good??
well yes mine are!
is the 24/7 series as good as a Sig Sauer, H&K, Beretta??
not sure about that! :rolleyes:
I have a lot of different manufactures weapons, Sig, beretta, taurus, Ruger, Colt, para, Stoeger,Dan Wesson,Browning, and i am sure I missed a few.
The berettas, Sigs and Browings are smoother normally. :p
out of my hand the most accurate 380 is the Sig 238, in 9MM its the Stoeger Couger(or Taurus 99), in 45 its the Taurus, colt, Para 1911's just pick one,. :rolleyes:
Most reliable???
HMMMM!!!! the 24/7's, the Stoeger couger,the Beretta PX4, the Taurus 99, the bersa thunder, the Sig 238,Taurus 709.
I just do not remember these weapons ever failing to operate regardless of ammo type.
But if you consider the overall product the Tauurs and the Stoeger are by far the best bang for the buck that i have spent. :eek:
My 2 car guns are Taurus 24/7c in 9MM & 45, my house gun is a Taurus 99, my pocket pistol is a Sig 238.
the rest i may carry but are basically take to the range and have a blast with them.

Attachments

#13 ·
I don't know if you can call any one gun "the best", but I really like the OSS. A few years back, one of the major gun magazines(don't remember which one-sure someone will) did a story on the then new OSS. They put 60,000 rounds through the gun without a major problem. Nuff said.

#14 ·
Varangian said:
I don't know if you can call any one gun "the best", but I really like the OSS. A few years back, one of the major gun magazines(don't remember which one-sure someone will) did a story on the then new OSS. They put 60,000 rounds through the gun without a major problem. Nuff said.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/the-taurus-trials?page=1 (i think this is the one you're talking about)

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/taurus-247-polymer-oss/ (there's also this one)

I'm picking up my 24/7 oss 9mm tonight, so i'll probably start posting on the forum rather than just stalking it like i have been :)

#16 ·
When SOCOM requested proposals for a plastic, high cap, .45 Auto pistol, there were 4 pistols submitted that made it through the initial stages of the competition. They were the S&W M&P, HK USP, Springfield Armory's XD and Taurus' 24/7 OSS DS. I don't know which one was in the lead, but I've been told that the OSS was not in any way at the bottom of the list. Too bad the Marines tried to use that RFP to replace their 1911s, bumping the total cost up to a level that drew Congressional attention which eventually got it killed.

I believe the 24/7 OSS DS is currently in service with the Brazilian Special Forces.

#17 ·
SnakeDoctor said:
.. I kno I'm on a Taurus forum,but as a gun lover of all types,I ask this question,is the 24/7 series of weapons,compact or not, reasonably comparitive to the "premier" weapons out there, the Sigs,H&Ks' etc,,,,there is an old but proven adage that "you get what you pay for",from my service knowledge I understand that there are solid performing weapons out there,but dont see alot of Taurus weaponry on that list,,just trying to get some feedback on taurus owners,not looking to get alot of hate responses,but if you must,I have broad shoulders..
well .. i own the 24/7 pro. 40cal for about 3 1/2 year now and.. my other or pt92 ss ,S&W sigma 9mm ,and my sig p229 40.cal . the 24/7 do good for it self.. like all the high price gun all that i can tell you is that i can trust my life with the 24/7 and going to be my sidearm for a long time to come .. well hope you try some Taurus gun out to see for yourself and good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.