Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Rather noob type question about using Novak sights

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  diverdown87 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a picture or such on the proper use of Novak sights? I don't seem to do to awful bad aiming but if I want to get proficient I would like a little guidance. I did a whole lot of Googling and Binging and found plenty on Heinie use but zip on Novaks. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Novaks, as I understand them, are the three-dot sight that so many are familiar with.
Begin by ignoring the dots. Line up the top of the front sight with the two posts at the rear,then get it exactly between them. The top of the front sight will be exactly in line with the tops of the rear sight. And a equal amount of light on either side. Now look at the dots. they should be in a neat level row, all equidistant from each other. Either way you look at the sights, all three parts in a neat row. A steady rest helps a lot.

Others here will have a better explanation, and someone will post an illustration.

It's a path we all must take. Persevere, practice, practice.

#3 ·
^^^^^ +1. Also most taurus guns require a Point of Aim sight picture which means put the front dot over your target. Some others are set up for what's called a 6 o'clock sight picture, which means line up the sights as described above, but put the center of your bullseye up with the top of the front sift, instead of covering your bullseye win the front sight.

BTW, which gun do you have?

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. YoungandFree I have a 24/7 Pro DS and C in .45 and Monday, I hope, to have my MilPro PT138. The DS and C have Novaks with the C having them in Firesights. The PT138 will most likely have the Novaks as well as the one I held at a different GS than the one I bought at had them but for some reason the rear did not have the two dots on the rear which means if mine is going to be same way it will get firesights as well.

Sandman that was exactly the graphic I was looking for and BRE346 great explination.

Again thanks for the input!

#8 ·
The above graphic is actually misleading. For any given sight setting the firearm will only be sighted in at 2 distances only. The two marked "bad" are useful at distances not covered by the third marked "good". If my gun is dead on at say 25 yards, I might use some variation of the second "bad" setting to get it on at 50 yards. Maybe a half a center dot high or a whole center dot high.

People should set their targets at different distances and shoot to see how the gun shoots with different sight pictures.

If you only plan to shoot at 21' or so,never mind

#9 ·
MilProGuy- Glad I could help..Think of it as a return of the favor on the info for the PT138- if the thing ever arrives and I get to use it...LOL

k4swb- That is some good info as well. I will keep that in mind and try it next time on the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.