Taurus Firearm Forum banner

pro ds decock? spooky....

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  RonJ 
#1 ·
im not sure how to word this.........

i have a 24/7 pro ds. (great gun) i was holstering it last night, and something really scarry happened. i always load one in the chamber. i jacked the slide and it chambered a round. i placed the safety on, and holstered the weapon. as i holster any loaded firearm for concealed carry, i make CERTAIN that there is no kind of obstruction in the way of the trigger or the saftey. as i holstered the weapon just before it "slide home" into its final resting postion, it clicked. It sounded like a general dry fire, and it did not discharge the round. i even watched the red display piece enter into the canal behind the firing pin. I removed the gun from the holster and the safety was still on and trigger was not pulled.....

i havent had this happen before. i was extremely leary on the situation and not sure what the hell happened. Any ideas???

I have loaded and reloaded the thing all morning long, holstered it with and without ammo, and cannot duplicate the situation that happened last night. any experience?? or input...
????

#4 ·
yes sir, all this sounds logical to me.
I to agree that i think you simply decocked the weapon.
of course i am sure this is a bit unsettling.
I assume that you do NOT decock the weapon, that you only engage the safety when putting the gun away?

#5 ·
I wish I had a video of that.

#6 ·
i assume i did only decock the weapon. i once tried again to simulate it, and assume that it was only decocked. but my new question is that even when decocked, can the weapon be fired even if decocked, because the trigger does cycle? i understand the purpose to remove tension from the spring in decock mode, but will the gun cycle if full trigger pull is applied? im not familiar with this model yet.....

#8 ·
As Taurus10 said, it will fire DA first then SA..... I agree with the others who said probably a tight holster or it just kinda hit the safety funny... Now if you only had a photo of your face at that moment to post! :) :D

#11 ·
itstherush said:
i assume i did only decock the weapon. i once tried again to simulate it, and assume that it was only decocked. but my new question is that even when decocked, can the weapon be fired even if decocked, because the trigger does cycle?
NO it can not!
not until you disengage the manual safety!
that is assuming that the firearm is in proper working order!
the applicatiopn of decocking takes you through the safety application and so the safety is "ON" or "Safe" until you remove it manually!
as for the purpose of the decocker releasing the pressure on the springs, No i don't think that was the intention at all, it may be a side benefit but the idea of a decocker is to safely drop the hammer/striker etc and make the weapon a safer carry weapon.
ITs like a series 80 safety system on a 1911 VS a series 70 gun it helps reduce "Human Error" and the lack of such systems send many lawyers children through college every year.
hope this has helped a bit, a i am not a gunsmith or professional of any type in firearms you might feel better consuting a gunsmith if still in question.

#12 ·
IMO the decocker gives more options for use of a given pistol.
-You can carry cocked and off safety because of the striker-block, the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled, just like a Glock.
-If you so choose, you can carry cocked and on safety which still offers the SA trigger after the safety is moved to the "off" position.
-Or the gun can be decocked and left that way making it a good bed-side or home defense gun in case it is found by the wrong hands. (grandkids)
-Also, per instruction manual, the 24/7 can be "locked" by operating the decocker while the trigger is fully depressed. If this is done, the slide will not move until the decocker is lowered.
-And there is always that dang key safety thing,,,,,,,,now where did I put that dern key?

Again it is my option that we (the public) have been given a great freedom and opportunity to defend ourselves through the right to carry.
We must be deligent in the exercise of this right by showing we are responsible enough with our firearms to prove we deserve to continue owning the right to carry.

#13 ·
When at the range I often do: decock shoot, decock shoot, decock shoot to keep familiar with the DA trigger pull. I also do: decock shoot shoot, decock shoot shoot, decock shoot shoot to do double taps to keep familiar with the DA then SA trigger pull.
Much to my surprise I've learned to shoot all my DA/SA autos fairly well in the DA mode by doing this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.