Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Failures to Fire With WWB

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
Had an interesting experience the last two times I was at the range firing my PT 24/7 compact DS 9mm.

The gun has about 1700 rounds through it of all kinds of 115 gr.FMJ and 124 gr.Speer Gold Dot JHP.

I was using WWB FMJ 115 gr.both times, and started to experience Failures to Fire after decocking and shooting D/A. However, in all instances it would fire on the second strike.

On both range trips I put 100 rounds through the gun, and it never happened while firing SA.

Also, after it started to happen, I changed ammo and started using Fiocchi 115 gr. FMJ and Federal 115 gr. FMJ, and I did not exoerience it once with that other ammo.

What do you think? Just a box of WWB with hard primers, or what?

#2 ·
IF it was the same box of ammo or posisbly even the same lot number on two different boxes that might be it.
I doubt that would be the case with two different boxes from two different lot numbers.
course never say never!
some guns are picky about certain ammo.
all MY 24/7's eat and shoot anything that i can fit in their hungry little magazines.

#3 ·
olfarhors said:
IF it was the same box of ammo or posisbly even the same lot number on two different boxes that might be it.
I doubt that would be the case with two different boxes from two different lot numbers.
course never say never!
some guns are picky about certain ammo.

Mine has never been picky about ammo. Never an issue until now.

It was the same box of WWB both times, so perhaps that was the problem, particularly since it did not happen with the other ammo I then tried.
all MY 24/7's eat and shoot anything that i can fit in their hungry little magazines.

#4 ·
Yep RON that would be my guess if it was the same box of ammo that was giving you problems!
hard primers more than likely.
I have had just 2-3 no fires out of all three of my 24/7's and every time they lit off on the second strike.
at least i got to test the second strike ability on two of the pistols, i don't recall the 24/7 OSS ever not liting them off on the first strike.
if I didn't have any more trouble i wouldn't even consider it a problem.

#5 ·
The only time I've used WWB is with my Millennium Pro PT111 9mm...and I wasn't pleased with the ammo at all because it wouldn't cycle properly, so I went back to the brands that do cycle flawlessly through the little gun.

#6 ·
My experience is like MilProGuy's. My pt-111 uses something else now.

#7 ·
I have had no problems with the WWB for the most part. I will say though, I was not real pleased with the last box of 165gr .40 that I got from WM. They fired O.K., but cosmetically they were poor. Tarnished and it looked like the bullets themselves had been thru the mill. Dents and tarnish. Now to be fair that has been a few years ago. It was what decided me to get off my tail and start reloading all my stuff.

#8 ·
I have a 24/7 9mm, bought about Fall 2010. I've been having problems firing too. Started by not firing DA but would fire SA. Real problems firing after I decocked. Now it's starting to not fire SA. It puts a light impression in the primer, but not enough, apparently to fire. I've tried several different brands of ammo, with no difference. I think maybe it's time to be sending this off to Taurus to be looked at. A soft striker spring, perhaps? I always store the gun decocked, by the way.

#9 ·
Had the same problem of not firing after decocking in my new OSS. Disassembled firing pin block and found some large metal flakes left from milling process.Reassembled and now works fine.

#10 ·
I would suggest that anyone that starts experiencing light primer strikes, clean out the firing pin enclosure, and clean the firing pin well, to remove any build up of crud and dirt that may impede the function of the spring and or firing pin. Some of todays ammo runs very dirty. Some of the powder residue can easily get blown back into the firing pin hole. It can build up fairly quickly and bind the firing pin. Flush it well with gunscrubber and repeat until the fluid runs clear. Then, try your gun again. You may indeed have a weak spring or other issues, but this cleaning process will eliminate one possible problem, if nothing else.

#11 ·
I use Federal only, but my 24/7 shoots anything as BigSkiff said I clean the firing pin when finished shooting

#13 ·
I haven't had any problems with the WWB, both my 709 and PT111 fire the stuff. I do breakdown the gun and clean after every trip to the range. I normally shoot between 100-200 rounds each trip.

#14 ·
gmoney said:
I haven't had any problems with the WWB, both my 709 and PT111 fire the stuff. I do breakdown the gun and clean after every trip to the range. I normally shoot between 100-200 rounds each trip.
My G2 didnt have any problems firing it except it didnt seem as accurate or consistent as CCI ammo. The only issue was the defective round.

#15 ·
I may have been just plain lucky, I do like the fact that when I go grocery shopping at WM I can sneak in a box of 9mm in the bag...No ones the wiser! I just buy some generic groceries to compensate, and then I can get some generic ammo! :)

#16 ·
gmoney said:
I may have been just plain lucky, I do like the fact that when I go grocery shopping at WM I can sneak in a box of 9mm in the bag...No ones the wiser! I just buy some generic groceries to compensate, and then I can get some generic ammo! :)
Guy at the range said WM carries the CCI cheap stuff once in a while, if I see it there I will grab some for sure. Off to clean the pistols.

#18 ·
actually non of my weapons are picky eaters.
24/7c in 9mm & 45, 709,stoeger cougar in 9mm, bersa thunder 380, 24/7 OSS in 45, (2) PT1911 in 45, auto ordinace 45, GI Expert (45),model 99, sig 238.
the only wepaon that i own that was a bit picky about ammo was the Taurus 738, it did not like S & b and Independence 380 FMJ.
all seem to run fine on all self defense ammo that i try though them.
Now accuracy is a tad different with certain self defense and range ammo but they digest most anything.
I normally shoot a lot of wally world "Winny bulk" and Remington UMC fmj ammo as its the most available here.
of course its almost always 115 grain 9MM stuff!
I really like S & B 9mm 124, and Nobel 9mm 124 grain FMJ, the 45's like 230 grain fmj for range ammo but seem to do best with 200 grain self defense ammo.

#19 ·
olfarhors said:
actually non of my weapons are picky eaters.
24/7c in 9mm & 45, 709,stoeger cougar in 9mm, bersa thunder 380, 24/7 OSS in 45, (2) PT1911 in 45, auto ordinace 45, GI Expert (45),model 99, sig 238.
the only wepaon that i own that was a bit picky about ammo was the Taurus 738, it did not like S & b and Independence 380 FMJ.
all seem to run fine on all self defense ammo that i try though them.
Now accuracy is a tad different with certain self defense and range ammo but they digest most anything.
I normally shoot a lot of wally world "Winny bulk" and Remington UMC fmj ammo as its the most available here.
of course its almost always 115 grain 9MM stuff!
I really like S & B 9mm 124, and Nobel 9mm 124 grain FMJ, the 45's like 230 grain fmj for range ammo but seem to do best with 200 grain self defense ammo.
What a riot, picky eaters...LOL

so the guns that FTF and FTE basically have an eating disorder and need to take medication or see a doctor before they kill themselves of starvation...:):):)

I'm not pokin fun, just think it's funny!

#20 ·
This weekend I was shooting my 24/7 9mm with Federal ammo and I had no problems. I also brought my Smith and Wesson .22 semi-auto with a box of Winchester ammo and I had about 10 rounds that would not fire. When I switched to Federal .22 ammo, it fired with no problems.

#22 ·
gmoney said:
I need to get to the range this week, both my 9mm's haven't eaten in about a week!
Anorexic guns!!-LOL

#24 ·
BubbleheadNick said:
Guess my 9mm is going to get fat cause I have fed it 400 rounds in the last 2 weeks.
Start feeding them "9MM Light"-115 grainers!-LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.