Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 older version VS. the new 24/7 G2?

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  BubbleheadNick 
#1 ·
I would like to have opinions on these if you don't mind. I am going to purchase 1 or the other I have 2 of the older 24/7 in the .40 and .45. I was wondering about the new G2's.

#4 ·
Perhaps Taurus is attempting to be able to compete with all the Glocks that so many law enforcement agencies issue and use; and to get some law enforcement agency contracts.

Being a "dyed in the wool" Taurus guy...I'd love to see that happen, personally!

#6 ·
You might not have a choice much longer. I've heard rumors of the regular 24/7 being discontinued recently as the G2's are slowly becoming more available. Might want to check with your LGS on availability. I hope I'm wrong, I also want to compare the two in hand.

#7 ·
I have a G2, but haven't had the previous models. If you can, I would wait, if you're interested in holsters or extra magazines. I can't find a magazine anywhere and I haven't found a holster that 'fits' the G2 yet. I have tried a few 24/7 holsters, but they didn't fit right. I ordered a 24/7 ITAC a while back that's supposed to be here Monday. I have a feeling it won't fit either. So, if you want any accessories (including magazines) you might want to wait a little.

#8 ·
I shot with my G2 yesterday and loved it.  My friend was shooting his 24/7 Pro in the lane right next to me and we traded for a magazine.  I like the grip on the G2 better, even with the wrong sized backstrap on it (thats another story that Taurus is solving).  I felt like the checking on the front of the grip of the Pro goes up to far and it bothered my middle finger.  I for one like having the DA on the first pull but I know its not for eveyone.  The G2 ran great after a small windage and elevation adjustment.  Dawhoo is right about the accessories, there are none right now.  I have not found a holster yet, though I have not been to any of the local shops to try them on. 

#9 ·
BubbleheadNick said:
I shot with my G2 yesterday and loved it. My friend was shooting his 24/7 Pro in the lane right next to me and we traded for a magazine. I like the grip on the G2 better, even with the wrong sized backstrap on it (thats another story that Taurus is solving). I felt like the checking on the front of the grip of the Pro goes up to far and it bothered my middle finger.I for one like having the DA on the first pull but I know its not for eveyone. The G2 ran great after a small windage and elevation adjustment. Dawhoo is right about the accessories, there are none right now. I have not found a holster yet, though I have not been to any of the local shops to try them on. As far as aftermarket sights I think the G2 has the same adjustable sights as the OSS.
I would like to concentrate on what you said above in red, or anyone else who has experience with the G2 that might be able to address my question.
I am one who likes the SA first strike trigger system of the "old" 24/7 and your comment makes me wonder if the G2 is different.
Does the G2 no longer have the SA trigger on first strike?

#10 ·
gig said:
I would like to concentrate on what you said above in red, or anyone else who has experience with the G2 that might be able to address my question.
I am one who likes the SA first strike trigger system of the "old" 24/7 and your comment makes me wonder if the G2 is different.
Does the G2 no longer have the SA trigger on first strike?
The first shot of the day is DA. After that as long as you dont decock when changing mags it stays SA. The DA pull is not that bad, nothing like the Beretta 92 I am used to from the military. Now I have figured out a simple way to put it in SA for the first shot of the day.
1) Lock the slide to the rear
2) pull trigger which puts the gun into SA.
3) release slide
4)apply safety and insert magazine.

While the slide is back if you pull the trigger the SA sear bar catches the trigger and holds it in SA. I discovered this while the gun was disassembled, I pressed the decock while cleaning it and saw the sear release the trigger. I have done this both times I have had the gun at the range. If you have any more questions send them my way. I have 400 rounds thru my G2 and love it so far, though I have no other Taurus pistols to compare to.

#12 ·
RonJ said:
Can you also put it in SA by just pulling back on the slide a bit, like maybe a 1/4 inch, would that not then cock the striker?
No it wont and that is one of the knocks I have been hearing from the previous model 24/7 owners. I guess I am in the minority when I dont mind the DA first pull or putting it into SA the way I discovered. I am sure I will like the gun even more once Taurus finally gets me my backstraps, I only received a large and 2 XLs with the pistols, called them 2 weeks ago and still no straps in the mail, also the after market stuff is lacking. I dont blame the companies though because it seems Taurus is coming out with a new variation every other week.

#13 ·
lvcsslacker said:
I fondled one in a gun store during my CCW class last week, and man did the G2 feel big compared to the G1. The grip turned more glock-like, and that's a bit of a turn off for me.
Did you notice what size backstrap was on the gun? It seems there was a run that left teh factory with the large strap installed and 2 XLs in the box.

#14 ·
BubbleheadNick said:
The first shot of the day is DA. After that as long as you dont decock when changing mags it stays SA. The DA pull is not that bad, nothing like the Beretta 92 I am used to from the military. Now I have figured out a simple way to put it in SA for the first shot of the day.
1) Lock the slide to the rear
2) pull trigger which puts the gun into SA.
3) release slide
4)apply safety and insert magazine.

While the slide is back if you pull the trigger the SA sear bar catches the trigger and holds it in SA. I discovered this while the gun was disassembled, I pressed the decock while cleaning it and saw the sear release the trigger. I have done this both times I have had the gun at the range. If you have any more questions send them my way. I have 400 rounds thru my G2 and love it so far, though I have no other Taurus pistols to compare to.
Hey thanks for the info, now I have two more questions:
1. Can you compare the DA trigger to another gun, maybe a revolver or Glock?
2. If you follow the method you described above, does the G2 remain in SA after the slide is pulled back to load the first round?

#16 ·
dawhoo said:
Mine came with 2 M and a L.
If they dont get me my medium pretty quick I may be coming to SC to get one of those mediums. How does the large fit you? I wear a large glove size but the strap was too big I think. Oh yeah my XLs had no holes drilled either. The CS rep was not surprised when I talked to him 2 WEEKS AGO.

#17 ·
gig said:
Hey thanks for the info, now I have two more questions:
1. Can you compare the DA trigger to another gun, maybe a revolver or Glock?
2. If you follow the method you described above, does the G2 remain in SA after the slide is pulled back to load the first round?
I think it feels smoother than a Glock and yes it does stay in SA after pulling the slide back to chamber a round. I have put the magazine in then done the procedure I describe and gotten the same results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.