Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Problem with mag? Ammo getting "stuck"

11K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  riemmark 
#1 ·
Hey guys, as some may know just got my 24/7 pro C DS 9mm last week, first range visit went great...went to the range today with the fiance' and it didnt go so great.

Bought 100 rounds of Winchester white box and some cheap Tul Ammo. Shot the Tul Ammo first, one FTF due to bad primer with cheap ammo (no biggie) That was the only problem with the Tul Ammo (50 rounds).

Switched to the Winchester, went through each of my mags with no problems and then on the 3rd reload I had a failure to feed...dropped the mag and seen the ammo was getting caught in the mag and not being pushed up all the way. Tapped it on the bench and it sprung up to the top like normal. 2 more rounds shot does it again...so I take the mag apart and run some cleaning clothes thru it and reassemble and while im cleaning the one my fiance' is shooting the other and that one does the same thing, so I reassemble the one give it to her and start taking apart the other to clean that one and again she has a failure to feed due to the mag not pushing the ammo to the top.

Im wondering if its the Winchester ammo thats doing it. Never did it with the Tul Ammo or the Federal I shot last week. Do you guys think its the mags? I have looked them over good and cleaned them twice and they are still doing it.

I dont have any other ammo to test this theory out, will grab more tomorrow to check.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I picked up some more federal 9mm ammo and everything works perfectly, so apparently my magazines dont like Winchester white box. I put the bullets side-by-side and the Winchester is slightly longer than the federal and that little bit made the difference between my mag jamming and not.

I just purchased a 1000 rounds of reloads from a local guy and hope they dont have the same problem. Will have them in a couple weeks.

#6 ·
I've heard that that Tul ammo is nasty stuff- with cheap, dirty powder and low quality control.. I was going to buy some at WalMart last week (because it was $2 cheaper per 50 pack) and the older gentlemen working in that department told me that.. I don't know if its true, its just what he told me. It was described as "cheap russian" stuff...

I've shot a little over 500 rounds in my new 24/7 Pro DS in the past 3 weeks- without a single FTE or FTF. 80% of those rounds were WInchester white box (40 cal)- other was Federal and Remington (American eagle=federal? I think)

ride_002000 said:
Hey guys, as some may know just got my 24/7 pro C DS 9mm last week, first range visit went great...went to the range today with the fiance' and it didnt go so great.

Bought 100 rounds of Winchester white box and some cheap Tul Ammo. Shot the Tul Ammo first, one FTF due to bad primer with cheap ammo (no biggie) That was the only problem with the Tul Ammo (50 rounds).

Switched to the Winchester, went through each of my mags with no problems and then on the 3rd reload I had a failure to feed...dropped the mag and seen the ammo was getting caught in the mag and not being pushed up all the way. Tapped it on the bench and it sprung up to the top like normal. 2 more rounds shot does it again...so I take the mag apart and run some cleaning clothes thru it and reassemble and while im cleaning the one my fiance' is shooting the other and that one does the same thing, so I reassemble the one give it to her and start taking apart the other to clean that one and again she has a failure to feed due to the mag not pushing the ammo to the top.

Im wondering if its the Winchester ammo thats doing it. Never did it with the Tul Ammo or the Federal I shot last week. Do you guys think its the mags? I have looked them over good and cleaned them twice and they are still doing it.

I dont have any other ammo to test this theory out, will grab more tomorrow to check.

#7 ·
I have shot Monarch ammo which is basically the same at Tul ammo and it is very dirty. The outside of the front of the gun (which is stainless) was black from all of the carbon. And there is a lot of smoke from that ammo, much more than from Federal.

socket462 said:
I've heard that that Tul ammo is nasty stuff- with cheap, dirty powder and low quality control.. I was goi
socket462 said:
I've heard that that Tul ammo is nasty stuff- with cheap, dirty powder and low quality control.. I was going to buy some at WalMart last week (because it was $2 cheaper per 50 pack) and the older gentlemen working in that department told me that.. I don't know if its true, its just what he told me. It was described as "cheap russian" stuff...

I've shot a little over 500 rounds in my new 24/7 Pro DS in the past 3 weeks- without a single FTE or FTF. 80% of those rounds were WInchester white box (40 cal)- other was Federal and Remington (American eagle=federal? I think)
ng to buy some at WalMart last week (because it was $2 cheaper per 50 pack) and the older gentlemen working in that department told me that.. I don't know if its true, its just what he told me. It was described as "cheap russian" stuff...

#9 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but. I've been shooting my new 44ss6 with Hornady, Remington and Winchester white box ammo. I have no prob except with the Winchester cartridges being stuck in the cylinder everytime I shoot them. Their the only ones I have trouble with. Any ideas why? The Hornadys are 300 xtps, the Rem. are 180 JSP and the Win. are 240 JSP, all factory loads. I should also add that there the most accurate of the three.

#10 ·
Yup, my 24/7's are fine with Winchester... but my OSS has them sticking in the mag. The range owner looked at them and pointed out that the Winchester was a tad longer and apparently just won't work in it. So it aint just you! My 709 is the same way.

#11 ·
Check the OAL of the offending ammo and then check the inside dimensions of the magazine. If these all check out, check for dents on the front or rear of the magazine(s) even if minor. If the mags check out, take the magazine, load some rounds then slap the back of the magazine against your palm to make sure the rounds are correctly seated. It sounds like the rounds are walking forward in the magazine during firing and the noses of the bullets are dragging on the front of the magazine.

#13 ·
Lmstncwby said:
Check the OAL of the offending ammo and then check the inside dimensions of the magazine. If these all check out, check for dents on the front or rear of the magazine(s) even if minor. If the mags check out, take the magazine, load some rounds then slap the back of the magazine against your palm to make sure the rounds are correctly seated. It sounds like the rounds are walking forward in the magazine during firing and the noses of the bullets are dragging on the front of the magazine.
At least in mine, that was not the case. If you only put a couple of bullets in, it was fine... but the more bullets you added, the more horizontal they became rather than pointing upward. This did so regardless of magazine and regardless of who did it (in my case, the range owner).

#14 ·
mine was just like above...it was fine with a couple but once I got about 5 in there they would turn horizontally and get stuck, but I compared the WWB length with the federal and the Winchester were longer causing it to catch on the front of the mag and walk forward like stated above. I just stay away from that ammo from now on.

#15 ·
all three of my 24/7's shoot anything flawlessly. I honestly don't know how many different brands that i have ran through them.
some guns simply do not like some ammunition.
to each his own but i ask??
how does slapping a loaded magazine on the backside do anything other than give you a sore hand?
I mean really once you fire the first round off the recoil rearranges everything anyway, even in a 22.

#16 ·
Slapping the back of the magazine on your palm seats the cartridges against the back of the magazine and settles the rounds evenly. It also stops the rattle in my PT140 magazines. I do this as a matter of course when reloading without my Uplula loader.

Anyway, back on topic -- is it possible the follower was not installed correctly. Also, check the spring. If you have a magazine that works properly with no jams, disassemble the good and bad magazine and compare them. Is there is difference in the configuration? Worth a shot! :)

#18 ·
I also experienced some lamming on the wwb ammo.(9mm) The federal functioned flawlessly. I even noticed that the federal loaded in the mag with more ease. Don't know why, but i couldn't ignore the obvious.......

#20 ·
@Lmstncwby All good points and practices. I have found, for the last year or so, that the federal is less expensive then the white box in my area. So I guess the issue "fixed" itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.