Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Trying to understand the G2

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  RonJ 
#1 ·
Just trying to learn cuz the gun has caught my eye. Bear with me, I'm an old tech person. ;D

Do I have this right?

load gun, rack slide to chamber round, it's DA for the first pull. Cannot be decocked because it not cocked to begin with?

the subsequent pulls are SA unless a misfire, then it reverts back to DA for the restike capability

the gun has a safety and a decocker

OK, if this is all correct (do tell), then what's the logic behind the first shot being DA? :???:

#2 ·
if I understand it right, the first shot is SA, would only be DA if you decocked it, or had to use the second strike capability. But I could be way wrong. Need more wisdom. NYPD has a G2 maybe he can enlighten us

#3 ·
Here's a quote from buckeye49, hopefully he will chime in along with NYPD and others who have one:

Even after chambering a round (by racking the slide and feeding it from the magazine) the gun still must be fired (long pull) in double-action mode. However, after the first round and the gun cycles the 2nd and subjsequent shots are single action with virtually no take-up or slack. The gun cannot be decocked unless it is in the single-action mode.
Maybe it's just me, but this thing sounds like an engeneering feast!

#5 ·
I'm going to dial 911 to get NYPD! :D

I think we have at least 3 members who own one; hopefully they will clarify this stuff. :)

#6 ·
leejack said:
Here's a quote from buckeye49, hopefully he will chime in along with NYPD and others who have one:

Maybe it's just me, but this thing sounds like an engeneering feast!
Yeah I don't think that makes sense, I dont have a G2. I can't think of why they would design that feature...., I understand and would even carry in DA for the first round, unless it is so you don't have to use the decocker to get it in DA.... But if it is a DA/SA like the OSS then Fla24/7 is right..... it would only be DA on a second strike or after a decocking if you racked the slide..... I am very curious to hear the responses to other with them as well. Enjoy the new G2!

#8 ·
I have one.

Rack the slide to chamber a round, trigger is DA.

Squeeze the trigger resulting in a shot fired, next trigger squeeze is SA. The safety also has a decocker posistion for this condition. However, if you rack the slide AGAIN without firing off a round, the trigger reverts to SA.

Strangeness at first, but you get used to it real fast. This is because the trigger take up in SA is easy and the final portion of trigger travel is the same in SA or DA.

#9 ·
Just a clarification, I don't own one, but I'm interested.

Buckeye49's report is a very good one and I think I do understand what's going on, except????

"Having a manual safety", why the need for DA on the first shot? Why not a choice, or even SA all the time?

I think this gun is pretty cool, but I do want to get the answers to these questions before I persue getting one.

Sometimes I get a little baffled by all the high tech stuff. LOL!

I think Taurus may have told the engeneers to just go wild on this one! :D

#10 ·
Thanks BlackhawkFan, I was typing and didn't see your post.

How do you feel about the DA only first shot feature?

#12 ·
BlackhawkFan said:
I have one.

Rack the slide to chamber a round, trigger is DA.

Squeeze the trigger resulting in a shot fired, next trigger squeeze is SA. The safety also has a decocker posistion for this condition. However, if you rack the slide AGAIN without firing off a round, the trigger reverts to SA.

Strangeness at first, but you get used to it real fast. This is because the trigger take up in SA is easy and the final portion of trigger travel is the same in SA or DA.
So Question: If you rack the slide again, with a round chambered, to set it to SA, does it not eject a round, like it would in a 1911 every-time a round is in the chamber and the slide is racked?

Sorry Fla24/7... looks like the wife is still the one who is right! :D

#13 ·
Leejack, the SA trigger is good enough to not need a safety IMO. Slack takes up easily without change in sight picture.

Texas, yes, a round ejects if it's chambered when you rack the slide. A mechanism in the frame controls the reset action of the trigger. It's a little spacer on a pivot that controls the trigger travel (reset). Rack the slide and the trigger is SA. Fire a shot and the trigger becomes DA until you rack the slide again, at which point the trigger reverts to SA.

#14 ·
BlackhawkFan, by the way, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

#15 ·
BlackhawkFan said:
Leejack, the SA trigger is good enough to not need a safety IMO. Slack takes up easily without change in sight picture.

Texas, yes, a round ejects if it's chambered when you rack the slide. A mechanism in the frame controls the reset action of the trigger. It's a little spacer on a pivot that controls the trigger travel (reset). Rack the slide and the trigger is SA. Fire a shot and the trigger becomes DA until you rack the slide again, at which point the trigger reverts to SA.
I might add that if you rack the slide there's no need to decock. Hope this helps visualize the trigger on the G2.

#16 ·
Now, on to the accuracy:

How does is stack up to glock, xd, m&p, sigma, sr9 etc.???

#17 ·
I'm a Glock guy as well. I have a G20 and a G21 SF.

Accuracy wise, I've noticed no issues with the G2. The sights are smallish, but the rear is adjustable in both elevation and windage. I've not needed to adjust the sights as this pistol demostrated consistent hits on target at ~30 feet with my reloads. My shooting range is a wash in the desert with high banks, no rests, and I rarely set up paper targets.

I'll say this pistol is more accurate than my stock Springfield 1911, but that isn't saying much.

Thanks for the welcome, BTW.

#18 ·
Maybe I have the whole DA/SA thing backward, so here's how my 24/7 G2 9mm operates

Insert magazine.
Pull slide - round is chambered.

1st shot requires 'long pull' and can not be decocked. Pulling the trigger cocks and fires weapon. I thought this was DA.

2nd shot is 'short pull' and the weapon can be decocked. Pulling the trigger only releases the firing pin. I thought that was SA.

#19 ·
I was correct in the initial post.

How do you like and rate your G2?

#20 ·
actually, not decockin is a pretty neat feature. Every time I decock my HK, even though I've done it countless times, I still cringe a little. And, yeah, Texas Av., wrong again. Oh well, I won't tell her

#21 ·
leejack said:
I was correct in the initial post.

How do you like and rate your G2?
I haven't owned a own handgun ever. Dad had many handguns (Rugers and S&W), owned only rifles myseld, till now. My friends have:Taurus, Walther, ParaOrdinance, Kimber and Glocks. Of those, I liked the Kimber the best for recoil and accuracy. I think my G2 is more accurate than the Kimber, but that may be because the Kimber is .45 and the G2 is 9mm.

At 50 yds, standing, I was able to shoot clay pigeons on the ground 50% of the time. That may not be a great feat, but the last handgun I shot was a snub nose 38 and I couldn't hit a paper plate at 15yds.

I have now fired 600 rds of Remington, Federal and WWB. JHP and FMJ and have not had a single FTF or FTE.

I didn't like how 'gritty' the trigger felt at first, even after cleaning twice, but then I really cleaned and oiled it and it's better. I appreciate the deliberateness of the trigger, however I could see some how people might not like the 'hard pull' at the end of the DA.

The recoil is not bad at all, considering the weight of the weapon. I was really expecting more. But then again, I had only shot heavy framed revolvers and 1911s.

There's a lot of space in the frame between the lower and the slide. 3mm gap between the slide release and the top of the slide. Also, the magazine 'wobbles' in the grip. Enough that it makes an audible noise if carrying on your hip while walking.

For the money, I think I made an excellent choice. 8.5/10
Deductions for: wobble in the magazine and a tight DA final position trigger pull.
Pros: accuracy, reliability and recoil

#23 ·
TexasAviator said:
in DA.... But if it is a DA/SA like the OSS then Fla24/7 is right.....
OK Now let me admit right up front that i am as confused as most and more confused than the rest of us on the G-2.
But first the 24/7 pro & OSS is S/A-D/A not D/A-S/A !
the 24/7 Pro is in single action mode unless it misfires or if you have a D/S model and decock the weapon.
I "THINK" the G-2 is D/A-S/A which is double action then single action.
again I am just popping this out ther eon the g-2.
and before anyone jumps on me about the 24/7's i am not talking bout the Commiefornia double action only guns!
i am speaking of what is here in the USA not a foreign country.
I am sure that the g-2 has to be easily understood if you owned one, I still think the reasoning is to entice law enforcement contracts.

#24 ·
dawhoo said:
I haven't owned a own handgun ever. Dad had many handguns (Rugers and S&W), owned only rifles myseld, till now. My friends have:Taurus, Walther, ParaOrdinance, Kimber and Glocks. Of those, I liked the Kimber the best for recoil and accuracy. I think my G2 is more accurate than the Kimber, but that may be because the Kimber is .45 and the G2 is 9mm.

At 50 yds, standing, I was able to shoot clay pigeons on the ground 50% of the time. That may not be a great feat, but the last handgun I shot was a snub nose 38 and I couldn't hit a paper plate at 15yds.

I have now fired 600 rds of Remington, Federal and WWB. JHP and FMJ and have not had a single FTF or FTE.

I didn't like how 'gritty' the trigger felt at first, even after cleaning twice, but then I really cleaned and oiled it and it's better. I appreciate the deliberateness of the trigger, however I could see some how people might not like the 'hard pull' at the end of the DA.

The recoil is not bad at all, considering the weight of the weapon. I was really expecting more. But then again, I had only shot heavy framed revolvers and 1911s.

There's a lot of space in the frame between the lower and the slide. 3mm gap between the slide release and the top of the slide. Also, the magazine 'wobbles' in the grip. Enough that it makes an audible noise if carrying on your hip while walking.

For the money, I think I made an excellent choice. 8.5/10
Deductions for: wobble in the magazine and a tight DA final position trigger pull.
Pros: accuracy, reliability and recoil
Thanks for the report. My magazine doesnt have any wobble and there is no real gap between my slide and frame. Just a few notches where the slide release is. Unfortunately I have not shot near as much as you have with my G2.

#25 ·
dawhoo said:
Maybe I have the whole DA/SA thing backward, so here's how my 24/7 G2 9mm operates

Insert magazine.

1st shot requires 'long pull' and can not be decocked. Pulling the trigger cocks and fires weapon. I thought this was DA.

2nd shot is 'short pull' and the weapon can be decocked. Pulling the trigger only releases the firing pin. I thought that was SA.
dawhoo said:

Insert magazine.

That is correct. I have a question I would appreciate you, or anyone eelse with a G2 to answer.

After you insert the magazine, rack the slide and chamber the first round, you are in D/A mode, what happens if you were to now rack the slide just a bit, not all the way to eject the round, but say 1/4 of an inch, would you now be in S/A mode with gun cocked and the short trigger pull, and now able to decock?

#26 ·
I personally like the idea of the first round being D/A, without having to decock, because I now carry my 24/7 Pro compact DS 9mm in D/A mode with the safety off.

I am very comfortable carrying this way with a round in the chamber because of the longer, harder trigger pull on that first round.

Yes, I can decock after I rack the slide to chamber the first round, to get into D/A but never felt very comfortable decocking, other then at the range, after realizing what I was actually doing.

In fact, I have a bucket of heavy sand in my garage, and whenever I decock while in my house I do so with the muzzleof the gun pointing down into the bucket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.