Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Trying to shoot with Glasses

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  45 Forever 
#1 ·
When shooting my Taurus 24/7 Pro, while wearing my regular glasses, I cannot focus on the sights.
When shooting while wearing my reading glasses, I can see the sights but have trouble seeing the target pass 5 yards.

This at my 5 yds with reading glasses

This is 10 yds with reading glasses. I wan't post the 15 yard target, I only hit 3 out of 5 because the target is so blurred, and I just shoot at the white blur.

What do the rest of you, that wear glasses, do to be able to see the sights and target?

See less See more
#2 ·
My dominant eye is my worst. I'll only wear glasses when driving. Without glasses, I just focus on that front sight. Works pretty well for me.
I do have some yellow tinted sunglasses, that make everything seem much brighter and in focus that I will use when I think about them. They're actually nonprescription safety glasses.

#3 ·
S'funny. I wear bifocals all the time. And shoot with them too. I've learned from the forums to concentrate on the front sight and put it on, or just under the bulls-eye. I can do a little better than what you show but not much. We'll just have to get up close. ;)

#4 ·
bre346 said:
S'funny. I wear bifocals all the time. And shoot with them too. I've learned from the forums to concentrate on the front sight and put it on, or just under the bulls-eye. I can do a little better than what you show but not much. We'll just have to get up close. ;)
Yep, me as well... took a while to get used to the bifocals... but once I did... I'm like a young 18 year old again.

#5 ·
rlh
i saw a pro shooter on one of the wed. shooting shows that said he had to leave pro shooting because of failing eyes. the red dot scope brought him back to pro level.
i just put one on a handgun and i am very pleased with it and like being able to keep both eyes open..
its an option you might want to check out.

#6 ·
I think Burris' new Fastfire has a model with Novak dovetail mounts.

#7 ·
Wherever you get your glasses. If you tell them what you want to use them for...they should be able to help you. If not go somewhere else.....my WW helped me.

#8 ·
I recently had LASIK surgery vision correction. I had to depend on glasses since I was 6. Older now and needed correction for both distance and reading. The LASIK surgery has been amazing for everyday life as no contacts, glasses are needed but.... My vision was corrected with my dominant eye adjusted for distance and my other eye for reading. I am still trying to figure out what works best in what situation/sights.

I purchased a stick on reading lens for my shooting glasses which I use for my dominant eye to see the sights clearly but the target is pretty fuzzy. Small red/black centers are pretty hard to get consistent focus. Shooting without the lens allows me to see target but sight picture is fuzzy and pure black target sights are very hard to use.

I just purchased a PT 1911 with White dots sights which I will be playing with to see what works best. Looking to see if anyone out there has similar issues and has found a good compromise solution such as high viz sights etc...

Of course low light conditions like indoor range with poor lighting makes things worse.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm 71 and I only need glasses for reading. I normally wear OTC 250's. My distance sight is still excellent (18-18). Thankful for that!

I use 150 power glasses for hangun distances. This allows me a comfortable compromise for viewing both front and rear sights AND targets. I've tried the suction-cup gadgets for shooting glasses for better views but the above works best for my particular old eyes.

For my AR, I found that a 3X magnifier behind my Eotech requires no glasses at all. Just adjusted both to suit me. I pestered LG stores to find a good combo for my eyes (and then bought cheaper online).

One reason you'll get varying responses for your problem is just that no two eyes are alike. Hope this helps, nontheless. Good luck!

#13 ·
I can relate, but I have to revisit this thread later and often. We were in the process of losing our range while I was recovering from my second
and third eye surgery. I could see one sight with one pair of glasses or...see the target and blurred sights with the other pair of glasses. I will definately be stopping by this thread often.

#14 ·
Luckily no bifocals for me, but i do have to admit depth perception issues arise for me in shooting at times. Losing the focus of the target while being sharp on the front sight can happen to any of us. Happens with me all the time beyond 25 yards when using a standard sighted weapon. Handguns give me the most trouble, since i think the length between long gun sights give a better area to focus with. One thing that does help are the transition lenses, glare becomes non-existent once the sun peeks through. The change in tint is really not noticeable, unless you're on the other side of the lenses. But once you get out of the sun, it takes a while to get them shifted back to low light settings.

#15 ·
I wear Progressives but I have been a natural point shooter since I was young. My dad taught me how and muscle memory just takes over. I do try and focus on the front bead if target shooting. But for self protection I just pull up level to my nose and it all comes together. Plus I'm left eye dominant and right handed. Which I think started the whole thing to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.