Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 long slide vs regular

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MilProGuy 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a 24/7 40 caliber to offer heavier and longer sight picture vs my 709 slim 9mm. Love my 709 since I have somewhat small hands and it conceals well. I want a 40 but want it a litle heavier than the 709. 24/7 looks good but wouldthe long slide version be too long to carry comfortably, although I'm thinking of the 40 for winter and the 709 summer carry. Appreciate comments from the experts with 24/7's thanks

#2 ·
Between the two pistols you mentioned, I would suggest that you give serious consideration to the 24/7 PRO over the 24/7 Long Slide if you intend to conceal carry.

The standard 24/7 PRO .40 caliber pistols are selling right now for ridiculously low prices at some online gun stores.

Let us know what you decide on.

#3 ·
From Taurus website:

24/7 4" barrel: (HxLxT) 5-1/2" x 7-1/8" x 1-1/4"

24/7 LS 5.2" barrel: (HxLxT) 5-1/2" x 8-1/8" x 1-1/4"

The only difference b/w them is 1" in length which IMO doesn't make a big difference in cc. If you can cc a 4" 24/7, you can cc a 24/7 LS as well. Only the differences in the height and the thickness are important factors to consider.

#4 ·
Taurus10 said:
The only difference b/w them is 1" in length which IMO doesn't make a big difference in cc. If you can cc a 4" 24/7, you can cc a 24/7 LS as well. Only the differences in the height and the thickness are important factors to consider.
True in most instances, but that will depend upon how you carry and sometimes it is easier to conceal the slightly shorter handgun. The shorter one will always draw and handle quicker. Just the nature of that.

Although I can conceal my .45 24/7 OSS in a vertical Shoulder Rig, my IWB and Pancake Holsters just don't work as well with it, as a shorter gun will, such as my standard 9mm 24/7 Pro. YMMV

A Standard .45 24/7 Pro DS is on my wants list.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input. I think the standard 24/7 pro is the way to go, although I just love the look of the LS model. Yes, I have seen some good prices on line e.g. Bud's. How' the recoil on the 40 24/7? Do you think it would be similar to my 709 since it is larger caliber but heavier. thanks

#6 ·
with the long slide your bullet velocity will be slightly faster than the shorter barrel guns also with the longer distance between the sights will make it more accurate. as far as concealing it im a big guy 6'4" 210 pounds i can conceal my 24/7 longslide .45 no problem at all..

#7 ·
rhino 801 said:
with the long slide your bullet velocity will be slightly faster than the shorter barrel guns also with the longer distance between the sights will make it more accurate. as far as concealing it im a big guy 6'4" 210 pounds i can conceal my 24/7 longslide .45 no problem at all..
That's the reason I preferred the LS. I would seriously consider the 24/7 OSS.

#8 ·
are the 24/7 Pro D/s curently available in the LS/(long Slide) I thought they had discontinued production of the LS some time back?
I prefer the 24/7 C pro D/s personally for carry and accuracy is still good even with the short barrel, the accuracy is certainly better with the 24/7 OSS, never shot a LS but would imagine its right there with the OSS.
Velocity will be determined by bullet weight, power (plus P) but would doubt if actual difference in a 4 inch 45 and a 5 inch 45 to be more than 50-75 FPS.
accuracy should be better as well.

#9 ·
olfarhors said:
are the 24/7 Pro D/s curently available in the LS/(long Slide) I thought they had discontinued production of the LS some time back?
I prefer the 24/7 C pro D/s personally for carry and accuracy is still good even with the short barrel, the accuracy is certainly better with the 24/7 OSS, never shot a LS but would imagine its right there with the OSS.
Velocity will be determined by bullet weight, power (plus P) but would doubt if actual difference in a 4 inch 45 and a 5 inch 45 to be more than 50-75 FPS.
accuracy should be better as well.
just bought mine3 weeks ago for 304.95 in blued at impact guns it is a discontinued model there were 88 in blued and 0 in stainless

#10 ·
rhino 801 said:
just bought mine3 weeks ago for 304.95 in blued at impact guns it is a discontinued model there were 88 in blued and 0 in stainless
Thanks thats what i thought!
they are very nice shooting weapons, like the rest of the 24/7 clan.
IS yours a 24/7 Pro or a 24/7 Pro D/S?
ebjoy!

#12 ·
rhino 801 said:
mine is a 24/7 pro longslide 12 round blued in 45acp its not a d/s and is now 389.00 :p
Thanks! I was under the impression that Taurus quit making the LS when the OSS came out, but a few here have said they had D/S models in the LS, i just haven't ever seen one of them, so yours to is like what i have seen in the LS the second generation.
saw a nice used stainless 40 cal just a couple weeks ago, but they wanted more used than what you paid new!
plus i don't do 40 cal and didn't want to start another caliber to stock.
enjoy and let us know how she shoots for you.

#14 ·
I can't talk about the .40 LS, but my .45 OSS DS conceals about as easily as my 1911. I can do it, but the PT145 does it with no effort. At 7 yards they all shoot about the same, the longer sight radius comes into play at longer distances.

#15 ·
just got my PT 24/7 Pro LS DS in 9mm about 3 weeks ago. Put 250 rounds through it so far with not one problem. Shoots great ! :)

#16 ·
CDNN has both the compact and the PRO 24/7 in stainless for $299. $18 shipping. Gallery of guns has the compact for around $330 until April 12th, ymmv.

#17 ·
I finally decided on the 24/7 Pro .40 as my carry gun as well. Bought it online at WholesaleHunter.com for $289 + $18 S&H. Another $15 to my FFL 2 days later and I was good to go.

Just looked again and they have the G2s there now for only $356. Not bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.