Taurus Firearm Forum banner

What cleaning supplies do I need?

844 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ride_002000 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Just got word my CPL is ready and that I can go pick it up. Now that it is ready I will probably go buy my gun right away (going with a 24/7 pro compact 9mm....DS if I can find one) and want to pick up cleaning supplies so I can give it a good cleaning and go shoot this biatch.

I have read maybe some compressed air too, to blow the crap out. Any insight would be great
thanks guys.

#2 ·
I don't use compressed air, others do. At a minimum in my opinion:
Solvent (I use Hoppes)
Oil or grease, its personal preference, I prefer oil
Brushes, brass in my opinion (you can get really cheap starter sets)
Cleaning patches (little white cotton ones)
I also use an old cotton rag for wiping it down

That is really it for a basic kit... you can also go the compressed air, gunscrubber, bore snake...... route with lots of other stuff but for a basic cleaning start slow and keep adding thing to make life easier, at least that is my opinion, I am sure you will get lot of others!

#5 ·
I don't buy into the using brass brushes for anything, unless its a machine gun, that carbon really sticks to those BCG.
For my pistols I use qtips, a rag, hoppes #9 and pipe cleaners. If you clean regularly, like you should after every range trip or once a week, you shouldn't have much buildup and a quick wipe down and fine cleaning of the moving parts and slide is really all thats necessary IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.