Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Color coded magazine bottoms?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  spectre9 
#1 ·
I am getting my 24/7 G2 9mm in the next few days and was thinking about ammo and what's best to use. At first, I was thinking of using only 1 type of ammo for all occasions, to be certain that the only variable in POA and POI is me.

However, that would probably get expensive using SD ammo all the time.

Then I thought, maybe using colored magazine bottoms, so I would know what type of ammo is in the clip. Sounds overly complicated to most people, I am sure, but I am one of those people who has to turn off the stove 3 or 4 times. The last thing I need in a LOD situation is second guessing if the mag has 147gr +P that will rise 5 inches at 40 feet or is this the ball ammo round...

So what kind of paint would be best and not dissolve the plastic on the magazine. I have dissolved plastics using the wrong paint, so I thought maybe someone else here is as AR as I and has some wisdom to share.

#5 ·
HMM?? I guess I am the odd man out here!
first i guess i don't understand the idea?
I test every firearm that i own as to the best ammo as to function first, then where and how it prints on target second.
i then decide out of the approved ammoes which color box (manufacture) that i want to use.
normally I have several approved ammoes and try to stay with something that my other weapons work with.
At that point all the magazines for that weapon are laoded with carry ammo, the one in the weapon and all extra mags.
Now when going to the range i empty one or two magazines and replace the carry ammo with range ammo.
upon finishing the shooting session i reload the magazine with carry ammo and go home.
so why color code anything?
opps forgot to check and see if the stove is on, anyway thats all i got to say so i am heading to the kitchen now.

#6 ·
Fingernail polish is acrylic enamel, according to info found online. I think I'll do a test area first, just to be sure. I wouldn't want to mess up a brand new magazine!

Thanks for the ideas and I'm really going to have to olfahors idea an attempt. It's sound reasoning: if you're not at the range, only carry-ammo is loaded. I like that.

#8 ·
Sound like you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If there is a 5 inch difference between your 124 (or 115) grain practice ammo, and your SD ammo at 15 yards, then you're doing something wrong. If you don't know what the difference is, the solution isn't marking magazines. The solution is getting out to the range and testing your ammo.

The rest of the solution is to not store your magazines loaded with SD ammo and those with practice ammo together. Or, don't load the practice ammo in magazines until you get to the range.

#9 ·
olfarhors said:
HMM?? I guess I am the odd man out here!
first i guess i don't understand the idea?
I test every firearm that i own as to the best ammo as to function first, then where and how it prints on target second.
i then decide out of the approved ammoes which color box (manufacture) that i want to use.
normally I have several approved ammoes and try to stay with something that my other weapons work with.
At that point all the magazines for that weapon are laoded with carry ammo, the one in the weapon and all extra mags.
Now when going to the range i empty one or two magazines and replace the carry ammo with range ammo.
upon finishing the shooting session i reload the magazine with carry ammo and go home.
so why color code anything?
opps forgot to check and see if the stove is on, anyway thats all i got to say so i am heading to the kitchen now.
+1 :thumb:

The old KISS principle, " Keep It Simple Stupid " works for me all the time.

#10 ·
I can relate to what he is talking about. I have an extra magazine that I keep loaded with Black Talons. I do not take that magazine to the range so I do not unload it when I go to the range and reload it afterwards. If I ever have somebody breaks in, I am going to grab my gun and that magazine.

#13 ·
I used a punch and marked the actual metal of my magazines with dots (I have five for my 24/7). I did this so the plastic bottoms dont have to be reassembled to the same magazine.

Why did I do this? Not to track ammo, but to track failures. I have a couple of mags I used for SD/HD and they have never had any feeding problems. One of my magazines occasionally jams the gun, and I know exactly which one it is. It is used for practice only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.