Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How much different is the 24/7 full size to the compact?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  MilProGuy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new here...been reading up on the various threads, great info and some good guys here it seems. I am patiently waiting (been 65 days since applying) for my CPL to come in the mail. I did a lot of research and have been looking at 24/7 pro's back in early december, so I went to a local gun range that actually had a 24/7 pro 9mm to rent and it felt great in my big hands. Very comfortable and after shooting it was even more pleased with it. So I decided that was the gun I was going to get....well over the past few months doing some more research and seeing as I will be conceal carrying this pistol that Im thinking the full size 9mm 24/7 will be a bit too big for EDC.

So on to my question, is there much of a difference between the 24/7 Pro 9mm and the 24/7 Pro 9mm compact? Is the compact much easier to conceal? I would use the 13 round mag for conceal and the 17 round for the range. Im not really a fan of the PT111 so that really isnt an option im looking at going with. I just really like the 24/7 models.

Thanks guys, sorry about the babbling.

#2 ·
Yep, the compact is easier to conceal. I bought an Uncle Mike's in pocket holster and an IWB holster to use for the PT145 and the 24/7 C's. Depending on how I dressed, I sometimes put the pistol in my front pocket with the UM holster and most of the time, I used the IWB holster. The PT709 Slim is even easier to conceal but since you don't like the PT111, I am not sure if you will like the 709.

#3 ·
Yea Im not a fan of the smaller handguns, from any brand. I had a hard time shooting the Glock 26, I couldnt get a good grip and had to reset my grip after each shot fired. I like the 24/7 and im sure I will like the compact. And once I begin to add to my arsenal there will be a full size 24/7 maybe even a G2, I do like the 800 series as well.

Oh and I plan on carrying OWB, already bought an itac holster and will open carry at times as well. (here in michigan its legal even without a CPL)

#6 ·
well by full size if you mean a standard Pro D/s then the barrel is about 4 inches (I think its actually 4.25 inch)on the standard framed pro D/S and its 3.3 on the compact, now there is also a OSS 24/7 (the true full sized 24/7)that has a 5 inch barrel so the compact is a lot smaller than the OSS.
as for magazines the compact will come with a standard length magazine and a shorty magazine.
so depending on how much you need to conceal then you can choose which magazine that you want to carry in the gun on any certain occasion.
NOTE: this is for American 24/7's, all bets are off on the kalifornia guns!

#8 ·
i ve got two c models and a 24/7 OSS not the standard.
I knew the purpose of the two 24/7C Pro D/S was to be conceal and carry so thats why i went with the shorter barrel right out of the gate.
for a multi magazine weapon they carry pretty well, again everything except the barrel being the same and 3/4 inch really isn't going to be deal breaker for most.

#9 ·
My SR9 is about the same size as the 4" 24/7. It's about 1" longer and taller than the 24/7 C's and the PT145 and that's a huge difference in cc. The 24/7 C's and the PT145 are much easier to conceal than the SR9. The Taurus compacts surprisingly have very mild recoil for such a compact size. To me, the felt recoils on the PT145 and 24/7 C .45 are not much more than the recoil on the SR9 even though the SR9 is bigger and heavier and chambered in 9mm.

#11 ·
I agree , thats why the 709 is so easy to carry and conceal!
its not about the barrel length so much as the length of the magazine, the grip and the overall height/ width of the gun.
another 1-2 inches sticking down in my pants don't matter that much, plus a lot of ladies try to pick me up when carrying that way.
who ever would have thought that the ladies would be attracted to IWB carry?

#13 ·
Right now, there are many firearms dealers who are practically giving the 24/7 Pro 4" pistol away with some really great deals, so if money is a factor...go with the deals.

I have a 24/7 PRO Compact and can attest to the fact that it is a fine conceal carry / home defense pistol.

Here's a little "eye candy" for ya'!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.