Taurus Firearm Forum banner

The new 24/7 G2.....what's in it for me?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  leejack 
#1 ·
I've got 5 Taurus handguns, 3 of which are of the 24/7 series. I really am a believer in Taurus products. However, I'm not really sure what the compelling reason would be to purchase a new 24/7 G2. I keep looking at the stats in the catalog and reading people's reviews here on this forum and I just don't know why I would buy a G2 over the older versions, especially since the older versions are available at closeout prices.

Does anyone have a good idea of how the new 24/7 G2's are better that the first generation? I need an excuse to order one!

#2 ·
Why not? I saw them in my local GS catalog for under $400. I personally think you should order one and begin your evaluation at your leisure.
I'm planning on doing that very thing soon.

K

#4 ·
It's got a lever on the other side?

#5 ·
Lol, I'm not particularly enamored with the new look. Ambidextrous controls matter little to me as I'm a righty (plus my OSS has that).

So far, the only real difference I can see is that the new G2's have a lower ammo capacity. Not a big selling point in my opinion.

#6 ·
I gotta tell you guys, I'd love to buy some Taurus tupperware, but I get so confused by all the models and features.

Gen 1, Gen 2, C, OSS, Pro, not Pro, SA/DA, DA/SA, decocker, no decocker etc.......

I've read that the first shot is SA and the first shot is DA, that it's DA only, that it's DA only on second strike, the striker is half cocked, not cocked etc. Which is it?

I echo the OP. What's different about the Gen2 and why is it better, or is it?

The Taurus website is useless, always has been! geez! Slow down Taurus!

I've got my eye on a no frills SD9. I'd like to give the G2 24/7 a fair shot but I need to figure this thing out first.

#7 ·
well my goodness i can't believe that you guys don't understand this!
BECAUSE---- wait for it------------Its the newest , greatest thing out there!!!
same reason we all buy new cars , so we can trade in prefectly good operating automobiles thta are paid off and have lower insurance and tag/tax fees on them!
Its a man thang!!-LOL

#8 ·
olfarhors, let me ask a specific question my friend!

Is it single action all the time, unless you decock it or have a light strike?

Is that correct???

#9 ·
olfarhors said:
well my goodness i can't believe that you guys don't understand this!
BECAUSE---- wait for it------------Its the newest , greatest thing out there!!!
same reason we all buy new cars , so we can trade in prefectly good operating automobiles thta are paid off and have lower insurance and tag/tax fees on them!
Its a man thang!!-LOL
Well sir, it was your suave words about the 24/7 Pro C DS pistols and about the sleek, dark, and mysterious OSS 45 and the shameless display of 24/7 pics which you paraded by me that influenced me to buy one of each in .45 ACP.

I'm not complaining, mind you! I am grateful for the influence for good that you have had on my pistol-buying habits, because these pistols are second to none, as far as I'm concerned...so I'm gonna' keep mine and let some of you other boys spend your money on the new and improved 24/7s.

(I'll save my money and get that fine PT92 that I have my eye on!) :thumb:

#10 ·
Anybody know?

#11 ·
leejack said:
olfarhors, let me ask a specific question my friend!
Is it single action all the time, unless you decock it or have a light strike?
Is that correct???
Hey bud I am as cornfused about these things as the rest of us!
NYPD and someone else has one and maybe they can iron out all the trigger functions, from what i have read (and certainly am not sure) it appears that the first shot is D/A (including decocked)then it is S/A unless you have a misfire?
I guess thats a design function for Police use?
I just personally don't think a much better system than the current Pro D/S is out there for me in a carry weapon.
There were a group of guys at the range a few trips back that was just all giggly and hollering about one, they were shooting the devil out of the thing at 7 yards, I looked at it to see what it was but didn't fire it.
Wasn't invited too!

MilProGuy said:
I'm not complaining, mind you! I am grateful for the influence for good that you have had on my pistol-buying habits, because these pistols are second to none, as far as I'm concerned...so I'm gonna' keep mine and let some of you other boys spend your money on the new and improved 24/7s.

(I'll save my money and get that fine PT92 that I have my eye on!) :thumb:
Yea i agree MILL, I am totally happy with all three of my 24/7's, even the dark, gloomy, ugly one!
I have no certain affection for a hammered or non hammered weapon and so as long as they are dependable, shoots fairly accurately then i am happy with them.
Interestingly the most accurate weapons out of my hand is-380- Bersa Thunder, 9mm - Stoeger Cougar, 45 -any of my Government sized 1911's and my 24/7 OSS.
So, as you can see I am not into brands, colors,Prices or sizes!
Its like a pair of shoes, if it fits then i can use it for something.
I am interested in the long term report on the new G-2 though.

#12 ·
TexasTraveler said:
Does anyone have a good idea of how the new 24/7 G2's are better that the first generation?
Nope! Actually, I prefer the first generation Pro DS models as the G2's seem like a step back in ergonomics, function mechanics, and possibly construction. However, I'll eat my Humble Pie if I can be proved wrong.

When I bought my first 24/7, the 9mm 24/7 Pro, I was quite skeptical as to whether I was going to like it long term, but 200 rounds later downrange, I was in love! Now I never want to be without at least one, but that's still the first Generation Pro DS model, which I hope Taurus continues to make.

The G2's will still have to prove themselves to me and I would like to take one apart to see how it's made before I would think about buying one at this time. One of the reasons I bought my first 24/7 was that I had seen a cutaway of the frame and liked the way Taurus had built it with a metal sub-frame.

Then there is the matter of the G2's DA/SA Trigger start which I find slightly annoying. You should be able to start in SA trigger mode if you want to and you can't, from what I've read here. Now many of my Pistols are DA/SA and I'm quite capable of starting Combat drills in DA Trigger mode as that's what I have done with my IPSC Production Class shooting, but still, you should be able to have the SA start option.

#13 ·
..called Taurus yesterday on production and rollout date,,rep said they are deep in production,and should be on shelves by mid april early may,,dont kno if he was blowin smoke up my chamber or what,,also capacities in .45 is 10rds. flush mag,and 12 extended mag. Gun seems to have same guts as G1,except for smoothing out buisness end for less holster/rig snag,and ambi safety...MSRP $498,,so expect to see them around $400.00 at yr local GS.

#14 ·
Hey TexasTraveler,unless you need an ambi safety nothin much changed much,same guts and capacities,the gun has been smoothed of some rough edges,,but you ask whats in it for you,,,less room in your safe,,thats about it,,will give a write up after mine shows up,,Taurus is tellin me mid April early May,,,

#15 ·
I fondled a 24/7 G2 9mm the other day at a gun show.

I like the new look, but the grip is larger than the 24/7 Pro DS grip. If I wanted a Glock, I'd buy a Glock.

Don't like the grip. If I get extra cash, it'll be another 24/7 Pro DS or C DS for me.

#16 ·
Came home with a 24/7 G2 in 9mm yesterday from our local gun show. Payed $375 out the door. I handled the Pro and found the G2 more comfy to my hand because the checkering isnt as aggresive on the G2 under the trigger guard. hope to get it to the range next weekend maybe.

#17 ·
:rolleyes:
Checkering under the trigger guard????
I assume that you must mean at the top of the grip?? :p
None of my three 24/7's have any type of checkering on the trigger guard anywhere.
My Taurus 1911's do! 8)

#18 ·
BubbleheadNick, welcome to the forum!

I'd be interested in a full report on the G2 after you get the chance to put her through the paces!

Post often!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.