Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Possible issue with slide casting?

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Rackham 
#1 ·
I just bought my first Taurus 24/7 pro .40 from Buds during their 297 dollar sale. Needless to say I was extremely excited to get the gun and when I did I shot 300 rounds through it with no problems. So when I took it home for cleaning I found some issues inside the slide. Between the hole for the barrel and the slide spring, the metal is so thin its almost a knifes edge and as you can see, it is somewhat chipped and the edges are bent. Also those marks on the underside of the slide were not put there by any factory worker, they appear to be from the casting. I called Taurus up and they were really helpful but to get a replacement will take up to two months. I wanted to know if anyone noticed similar markings inside of their slide. Is this a typical occurrence?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some of the scratches in the second photo maybe.... but I don't like the look of the first photo at all. I would let Taurus take care of it for you the wait sucks but it doesn't look good at all. I'm no smith though, just my opinion.

Sorry to hear it came like that, glad it shot well for you though!

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I was actually considering filing that area down a little to make it smooth since that metal doesnt really seem thick enough to really lend any structural integrity to the slide. Also, that pic of the "scratches" from the casting is just from one area. There are all kinds of imperfections in the surface of the slide that I am not used to seeing in such quantities. The only thing that kind of bothered me about the situation is that the grease that Taurus put over the area of the firing pin was so thick that it hid all the imperfections under it until I actually cleaned it all out of there after the first firing. I will say that it fired great and was accurate as well.

#4 ·
Yeah the grease is THICK! If it was just the scratches, I would probably not care if it was me and they were all internal not part of the external finish. While I agree it doesn't look like it provides much in the way of structural support, I would be leery of filing it down, one of those you just never know things. At least where it counts it is great, goes bang and hits the target!

#5 ·
Ive been leaning toward sending it back though I was hoping for a "these are typical issues with this gun" type of response. I guess I will get to test Taurus' much talked about customer service. Actually, has anyone ever been able to do an exchange with Taurus? Like for a G2? This gun is literally less than a week old. I guess I can try, Ive found that being politely pushy works real well with CS people.

#7 ·
Ya, I actually dont mind. I was wondering though if anyone could take a look at their slide and see if that metal is really thin between the barrel hole and the slide spring. My dad thinks its that thin on purpose to minimize the torque between the barrel and spring.

#8 ·
From the bleachers -

That knife edge is the intersection of two holes, necessary to get the barrel out. Dress it or ignore it.
The scratches, in a new gun. Careless assembly IMO.
They are not replace a good working slide. Again IMO

Mine looks better but some cheap ammo makes trouble. I've shot about 350 rounds through it. I'll trade you. 8)

#10 ·
Rackham, I looked closely at mine. Although the area between the guide rod and barrel is machined quite thin, mine is not chipped or bent. I don't have any marks or mill marks under the slide, but it's far from a work of perfection. If I were you, I'd talk to your retailer or to Taurus for warranty. My 2 cents.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to Taurus today and am going to be sending it back to them for warranty replacement of the slide. I realize it probably wont cause issues the way it is but it will bother me forever just knowing those chips and casting marks are there. My only concern is that the rep told me that it was entirely up to the techs to decide if the issues Ive found are worthy of slide replacement or not. There is a chance I will be getting the gun back in the same condition that its in now. Kinda nerve racking for me to give up my gun for up to 2 months without knowing if it will be fixed to my satisfaction but oh well, its all just part of the roller coaster ride. Btw, thanks to all of you who have lent your experience and advice to me with this issue. Glad I joined this forum.

#13 ·
Rackham said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to Taurus today and am going to be sending it back to them for warranty replacement of the slide. I realize it probably wont cause issues the way it is but it will bother me forever just knowing those chips and casting marks are there. My only concern is that the rep told me that it was entirely up to the techs to decide if the issues Ive found are worthy of slide replacement or not. There is a chance I will be getting the gun back in the same condition that its in now. Kinda nerve racking for me to give up my gun for up to 2 months without knowing if it will be fixed to my satisfaction but oh well, its all just part of the roller coaster ride. Btw, thanks to all of you who have lent your experience and advice to me with this issue. Glad I joined this forum.
Judging by what I've heard from others who've dealt with Taurus CS, they'll make it right one way or another.

#14 ·
Rackham said:
My only concern is that the rep told me that it was entirely up to the techs to decide if the issues Ive found are worthy of slide replacement or not. There is a chance I will be getting the gun back in the same condition that its in now. Kinda nerve racking for me to give up my gun for up to 2 months without knowing if it will be fixed to my satisfaction but oh well, its all just part of the roller coaster ride. Btw, thanks to all of you who have lent your experience and advice to me with this issue. Glad I joined this forum.
Lately Taurus has had much quicker turnaround and hopefully instead of two months, it will only be two weeks. I believe that you will be treated fairly and I hope your 24/7 is repaired to your satisfaction.

Welcome to the Forum and we are happy to have you!

#16 ·
I just thought I would let everyone know that I sent my gun in last Monday 2/28/11 and called Taurus today to get an update on the warranty repair. The rep I spoke to told me my gun shipped out today and that I should have it tomorrow. He also informed me that all of the parts I had concerns over were replaced. From things I have read I was concerned about the turn around time but my experience with their customer support has been very good.

#19 ·
Nice! I am glad it went well, I hope it looks better when you receive it!

#20 ·
Sadly when I received my gun today I found that no parts were replaced. All the Taurus tech did was grind down the part that I had a concern over and nothing else was done to the gun. I found this out after receiving the gun and looking at it. Yesterday when calling Taurus I was told that all the problematic parts in the gun were replaced. I called Taurus again today after receiving the gun and was informed that they would not "arbitrarily replace parts in a working gun". They then fired 20 rounds through the gun and sent it back to me without even cleaning it. I realize that the gun works but regardless I find this to be unsatisfactory. I also know that a one week turn around is really good but that is only because almost nothing was done to the gun. All I can really say is that I am really disappointed in this outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.