Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Problems with the 12 RD mag on 24/7 pro cds (chambered in .45)

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  psmcd 
#1 ·
I have problems feeding only on my 12 round magazine. I suspect that it is as a case of the magazine being out of spec... The issue is that when the magazine is fully loaded, or nearly fully loaded, after firing, the next rounds tends to point nose down slightly while still in the magazine. I disassembeled and cleaned, and at this point noticed that the magazine shell is pinching the top round slightly in the middle. I wanted to make sure that no one else is having this problem before sending it in for replacement with Taurus. No point in fixing what isn't broken, you know...

#6 ·
PTOSS said:
Seems like everyone is sending it back to the factory..............
Has anybody fixed the problem by not sending it nack.....
polishing, deburring, oiling, et. al?
well as i check my magazines at the time of the initial cleaning and degreasing and remove any flashing, smooth up any irregularties I have never had problems with any mag Taurus or otherwise, so ????
I normally break them down maybe every year afterward to clean and inspect them. ------works for me!
PS: I never oil a magazine, it just catches dirt, powder and debris, specially if you drop them in the dirt practicing reloads.

#7 ·
both my mags did this for my 9mm compact but seems to only do it with winchester white box ammo, I tried cleaning them (no oil), then tried cleaning them (with oil added) but found out just like above stated that it collects a lot of powder and crap and you end up cleaning them again. But I plan on sending in my mags once I buy some extras so im not without a mag.

#8 ·
My 45 mags don't disasemble like the typical mag. Once the bottom plate is off the spring seems to be attached to the secondary plate. Anyone help me to fully disasemble completely? And when trying to dechamber a round it almost always sticks. Not ejecting properly. What's up with that? It was fine the last time I cleaned etc. Anyone?

#9 ·
AZShooter said:
My 45 mags don't disasemble like the typical mag. Once the bottom plate is off the spring seems to be attached to the secondary plate. Anyone help me to fully disasemble completely? And when trying to dechamber a round it almost always sticks. Not ejecting properly. What's up with that? It was fine the last time I cleaned etc. Anyone?
AHH, Not sure exactly whay you mean by don't disassemble like an ordinary magazine??
there is a (secondary plate) magazine spring plate that is attached to the bottom of the spring??
is that what you are speaking of???
Most new weapons have this plate on the spring!
it shouldn;t interfere with normal disassembly though, it should just pop out with the spring through the bottom of the mag once the Magazine bottom is removed.
ejection by hand isn't the same as when the weapon has been fired, are you jacking the slide back fast and hard?
even then you can not replicate the action of the slide as it moves rearward from firing.

#10 ·
AZShooter said:
The Compact has the ejection port cut down to the minimum size to save space so when the round is extracted with the bullet still in the brass it barely fits through the port. When you're firing, the bullet isn't there any more and the brass fits through just fine.

Yes, the spring is attached to the steel floorplate. Just push in on the steel floorplate and tilt it so that one side goes past the lip on the bottom of the magazine tube.

Also, someone mentioned feeding issues with Winchester White Box. It's a known issue with that ammo, especially in .45, that they load it to well past the SAAMI specification for maximum overall length. That particular ammo gives many manufacturer's magazines problems.

#11 ·
Seems like everyone is sending it back to the factory..............
Has anybody fixed the problem by not sending it back.....
polishing, deburring, oiling, et. al?

I had the same problem with interference fit between back of cartridge and top of mag just below where the lips fold in. The fit was too tight to solve by filing/polishing. The proximity of the bends reducing from double to single, as well as the stiffener dimples, and the bends for the lips makes it difficult to spread the single stack section at the top/back of the mag. Plus the mag steel is hard so it doesn't respond well to reforming. But I did happen to have a piece of steel bar stock that was just (thousandths) larger than the mag width where it necks down from double to single stack. I was able to tap the bar stock through, at the back as close to the 90 degree bends as possible, and spread the single stack bend enough for proper feed. Your mileage may vary. I only did this because I had 3 other working mags. You could break the weld at the back of the mag or deform it in a way it would never work.

Any tool makers here? This double to single transition seems a real challenge for compound bends but there seem to be many manufacturers producing trouble free mags. Did Taurus just let the QA slip on the .45 mags?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.