Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Disassembly latch broke

13K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  spectre9 
#1 ·
:???:

Shot the gun Friday. Didn't notice it.

Cleaned it today........What? Where's the damn latch?

I was able to rotate the stub, and pull it out with a small pair of vise-grips.

Cleaned the gun, and re-assembled it except for the latch. I'll call Taurus in the morning. Hopefully they will send me a new one free of charge.

Still wondering why/how it broke though? Slide doesn't contact it at any point. Didn't bump it on anything.

#4 ·
Hmmm, I've got like 2K through mine. Oddly enough, the very first time I shot it, I somehow hit the disassembly latch causing the slide to not cycle while firing. Once I popped it back in, everything was fine, and has remained so since then.

#5 ·
Is that a MIM part?

Flash

#11 ·
Rottiejake said:
NAH ! My 9mm loads are really tame
by +P+ standards I'm sure! :D

#13 ·
He-He-He, i would bet that both latches are the same size!
so if push come to shove and you want to shoot the 9mm, take the latch out of the 40 and take it.
then put the latch back in the 40 cal.
Think of it as a poor mans Sig-Sauer 250 convertible pack!-LOL

#15 ·
Thanks JWC, I know the ones on my 24/7 OSS (45) , my 24/7 c in 45 & 9mm all look almost identical, i have never tried swaping them though.

#17 ·
I thought they might be the same, but never checked.

Especially after I spoke to the girl at Taurus. I told her that I needed a new dis-assembly latch. First thing she wanted to know, was the serial # of the gun. Then she told me that it was a .40 cal 24/7. I confirmed that, and then she asked how long the slide was?

So, I guess some of them must be different. Go figure :p

#18 ·
Rottiejake said:
Actually, it wasn't my 9mm 24/7.

It was my .40 cal 24/7.

Mailed the latch back. Waiting for replacement. Hopefully, they do little stuff like that quickly.

I was hoping to have it today......... Nope :(
You haven't been reloading 40 cal have you?

#20 ·
Rottiejake said:
I confirmed that, and then she asked how long the slide was?

So, I guess some of them must be different. Go figure :p
Maybe, but the Takedown Latch on my .45 24/7 OSS, which has a long slide, exchanges perfectly with the one on my Standard 9mm 24/7 Pro and as far as I can tell, they are the same.

Rottiejake said:
BUT............ Latch broke with a new batch of quite mild loads.
Hmmm? But what came before those? Mild, Warm, or Extra Spicey?

I'm also guessing that the previously mentioned "Over loads", that had to be pulled, were test fired with that particular 24/7.

#22 ·
Been over a week now, so I called this morning.

I would have thought, that since it was just a small broken part sent in an envelope, it would have just been replaced immediately...........wrong!

Asked for my zip code, then name, then date I sent it.

Finally located it, and said that it was received (no kidding?) :rolleyes:

So when am I getting it? She said they are having inventory, and are not shipping anything until next week.

Makes me wonder if I should have just paid for it when I called the first time. I wonder how much it would have cost?

Seems that I have heard that "inventory story" once before when dealing with them. Either they have a lot of inventories, or my timing is incredibly bad :-\

#23 ·
Just like any company that keeps parts in stock, they only keep a certain amount - too much overhead reduces their bottom line.

Not much to do but wait it out.

#26 ·
I too had this part break on my gun. Fortunately, enough of a stub still exists I don't need plyers to remove it. I'll probably order -- and pay for -- my own replacement part.

This is the second part to fail on my 24/7DS 9mm. The first was a super small roll pin that fell out. Gun still worked though!

The gun is very experienced -- well over 5k rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.