Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Loading clips

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  MilProGuy 
#1 ·
I've searched but no results, just bought a 24/7 and darn is it hard to push 12 into the clip, I've managed 8 and can't get anymore in. I'm a fairly hefty guy, what am I doing wrong.

#2 ·
Welcome Jobarr,

But...Shh! Don't call 'em "clips"...the boys and girls here at TaurusArmed.net have taught me to call them magazines. :D

You will find this forum to be chock full of helpful information and frequented by knowledgeable and friendly Taurus folks.

#3 ·
Uh oh.....he used the 'c' word. :D

The springs will relax over time. Just load them up and keep them loaded as full as you can, eventually you'll be able to get 12 in there.

Or you could buy an Uplula. 8)

#4 ·
Jobarr said:
I've searched but no results, just bought a 24/7 and darn is it hard to push 12 into the clip, I've managed 8 and can't get anymore in. I'm a fairly hefty guy, what am I doing wrong.
Your magazines are mad at you for calling them by the wrong name :D ;D :D ;D

Seriously though, use a mag loader like the Uplula, Super Thumb, etc (my PT145 came with a loader by Taurus) as the springs on new mags are very tight when new and especially problematic with double stack mags as they rub against the sides. Leave them loaded and the springs will relax over time. You could also try disassembling them and giving them a good cleaning. Some folks here have actually stripped the finish off the insides to make them load and fire more readily.

#5 ·
You guys type faster than me...but then again, most people do!

#6 ·
Jobarr said:
You might want to disassemble the magazine and make sure there isn't a big plastic buger on the magazine follower or a burr or dent in the magazine body, maybe even see how many rounds you can get in the magazine without the spring in it.

Otherwise, leaving the magazine loaded will help relax the spring and after a few times of loading and unloading it should be easier. Normally, it would be tough initially to get more than 11 loaded on a new magazine, and after some use, the 12th round would be easier to load.

If 8 is all you can load, I suspect you have something else going on.

One handy gadget for reloading magazines is the Uplula magazine loader, pretty universal for all double stack centerfire magazines. Most major online gun stores carry them and Academy carries them. They are generally $29.95

#7 ·
I apparently type slower than the rest of you, or just put too much bull into my post.

#8 ·
Clips are used by the fairer sex to hold their hair back. :D

But, as others have mentioned, if you load as many rounds as you can into the mag and leave it sit for a few days it should loosen up.

#9 ·
No, Jake, you and Czechbikr just posted a more detailed post. That is commendable. :soapbox: :thumb:

Me...I was just in a hurry to be the first to welcome Jobarr to the forum! :rolleyes: :D

#14 ·
http://www.gripmaster.com.au/index1.htm <- Available at your local music shop.

Also make sure you're using the proper technique as seem here. I have seen people try to load mags with their forefingers which do not have the strength of your thumbs.

Somewhere around round #1000 you'll have the hang of it.

Ps. Clips are for M1's, stock SKS's, and Mosin's. I have only seen one clip fed semi auto pistol. Semi-Auto's usually use Magazines.

#19 ·
Gosh guys, you are gonna give the poor fella a clip complex!

#20 ·
I've had to give up on the clip/magazine thing along with bullet vs. ammunition. I just can't keep up. They are breeding too fast. :'(
I don't like the term boolit but have been told it is a good term meaning cast bullet. :???:
Looks ignorant to me. :rolleyes:
Keeping up is just not worth it sometimes. :(

#21 ·
I'm 59 yrs old and hunted from Florida to Montana, I guess my buddies and I are dumbasses but we always called em clips or magazines, we didn't have a problem with it, we knew what was meant. They are magazines NOT clips, got it, thanks everyone for letting me know.

#23 ·
Had the same problem with the PT140 mags. The Uplula magazine (or is it clip :D) loader solved the issue.

Magazine ..... Isn't that where they used to store dynamite, TNT and other things that go boom? I'm just sayin' :D :D

#25 ·
a clip feeds a magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_(firearms)

#26 ·
Just to be clear the Uplula loads almost all mags down to but not including a .380. And both single and double stack Mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.