Taurus Firearm Forum banner

24/7 Pro firing issue

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  texastaurusguy 
#1 ·
My son owns my old 24/7 Pro 9mm now and he uses it in his job. Between the both of us, it has about 8000 rounds through it conservatively, and I would imagine the number might be closer to 10,000.

We had it at the range a month ago, and it started misfiring. The trigger was pulled, but nothing. It started out occasionally but started doing it more and more. It was also stovepiping from time to time.....We took the gun home and I cleaned out the firing pin channel, and gave the entire gun a really good cleaning. So we took the gun to the range yesterday, and it started out pretty good, but it started acting up again, doing the same thing.

I had an issue with my captive firing pin assembly in my PT145, and had Taurus send me two - one for the gun and a spare. Come to find out that the part fits both product lines, so just for grins I decided to take the 24/7 Pro apart and see what might be going on in there.

What I found was mildly surprising. After disassembling the entire firing pin area, I flushed everything out and soaked all of the parts in Hoppes. I started seeing little green flecks in what I flushed out and in the cleaning solution. The captive assembly is a piece of green plastic, so I took the part and started cleaning it with a patch and Hoppes, and I was getting little green flecks all over the patch. I kept cleaning it with fresh patches until it was pretty well clean, but there were still little green flecks coming off of it.

I ended up putting the spare part in the 24/7 Pro.I think that the flecks were getting between the coils in the springs and not allowing it to function properly. Now I need to get it back to the range and see if that fixed the issue, or if that was just the beginning of something.

The gun does have alot of rounds through it, so I'm not really complaining. I hope it was that simple.....I guess I need a new spare though.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, I think you have a valid reason for procuring a brand new spare!

Jet Guns has them for around $269.00. I'll bet you paid more for your old 24/7 than that!

#3 ·
At the 8,000 to 10,000 round mark it's time to replace a few parts such as the Striker Spring and Captive Recoil Spring Assemblies.

Not sure I would clean them in Hoppes, as I'm not sure Hoppes is Poly Safe. Use a Windex Equivalent instead and rinse with water, then dry.

For the stovepiping, clean out the Extractor and Extractor Spring areas. Probably time to replace the Extractor Spring as well. Inspect your Extractor Blade for straightness, make sure it will allow a case rim to slide up in, and hold a shell up against the Slide Boltface.

Also, if you've not cleaned your Magazines lately, it's time for that as well. New Magazine Springs may also be called for, but that's usually associated with Nose diving. Also, keep track of your magazines when shooting as it may just be one particular Magazine. I number mine on the bottom of the floorplate.

A spare 24/7 is a nice thing to have, too! Treat yourself to a new 24/7 Pro DS. Put a Hogue Handall slip on grip on it, too.

#4 ·
Couldn't you just send it to Taurus on the lifetime warranty? You hear stories about Dillon re-loaders that people wear out and then send them in to Dillon and they get them back basically remanufacturered. I know that's about as good as it gets but it would be interesting to see what Taurus would do to fix it since it is well used. Maybe they will replace the worn out parts.

#5 ·
typ0 said:
Couldn't you just send it to Taurus on the lifetime warranty? You hear stories about Dillon re-loaders that people wear out and then send them in to Dillon and they get them back basically remanufacturered. I know that's about as good as it gets but it would be interesting to see what Taurus would do to fix it since it is well used. Maybe they will replace the worn out parts.
Yes, if this doesn't fix it then it's going back. JWC had some really good ideas, but honestly I'm not sure about replacing the extractor or spring myself.....if this is unsuccessful, it's getting a vacation to Miami.

If it's that simple though, then I'm glad to not have to be without it for a while. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.