Taurus Firearm Forum banner

2nd 50 rounds w/ pics

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MilProGuy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well, I made it back to the indoor range with my 2nd box of 50 rounds and here's the results:

The first photo is 19 out of 20 at 3 yards. First 10 were aimed center "X", the second 10 right between the eyes.
The second photo is 19 out of 20 at 7 yards. Again, 10 at the "X", 10 at the head.
The third photo is 6 out of 10 at 15 yards. This was kind of a lark. I was shooting pretty fast and trying to think of possible scenarios were an imminent threat to my personal safety would justify shooting at a BG 45 feet away?!

I'm still working on not jerking the gun as I fire (the primary reason for the low-left pattern I suspect). And, the range guys made two other suggestions: a looser grip; and, mental focus on the target, NOT on when is the trigger going to break (which we 24/7 owners know is a looooong time).

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My DNR friend told me to balance a nickel on the front sight while dry fire practicing at home. Of course the idea is to keep the coin on the sight. Dry fire practice a hundred times with the goal of forming muscle memory. Surprising how crappy my trigger control was/is. I was shooting low and left which is common for beginners like me. I was also sticking my trigger finger in too far which caused me to pull left. This drill greatly improved my shot after a week. I'm a novice, but thought I'd pass on my nickel's worth:)

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying you new weapon!

#4 ·
jted said:
My DNR friend told me to balance a nickel on the front sight while dry fire practicing at home. Of course the idea is to keep the coin on the sight. Dry fire practice a hundred times with the goal of forming muscle memory. Surprising how crappy my trigger control was/is. I was shooting low and left which is common for beginners like me. I was also sticking my trigger finger in too far which caused me to pull left. This drill greatly improved my shot after a week. I'm a novice, but thought I'd pass on my nickel's worth:)

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying you new weapon!
Thanks. I had a friend tell me something similar, but I'd forgotten until I read your post. I'm going to try it.

#6 ·
Markmmg said:
In the army, we practiced trigger pull by balancing a dime on the M-16 barrel as we dry fired. I found that it helped me a good bit.
I bet it helped. I just about had myself talked into getting a laser to practice with. A nickel or a dime is much more economical. I may still get a laser someday, but have been spending a lot on ammo lately.

#8 ·
I would tend to take a guess and by the stringing vertically that you are not getting a consistent sight picture every time.
this is just practice and knowing the feeling when everything is the same.
Are you bringing the weapon UP to your eye level and not droping your head/eyes down to find the sights?
this will cause the vertical placement of the rounds.
I never concentrate on the target myself, i ALWAYS concentrate on the front sight, pretty much where it goes the bullet follows.
just keep the practice going, its getting better for you.
enjoy.

#10 ·
olfarhors said:
I would tend to take a guess and by the stringing vertically that you are not getting a consistent sight picture every time.
this is just practice and knowing the feeling when everything is the same.
Are you bringing the weapon UP to your eye level and not droping your head/eyes down to find the sights?
this will cause the vertical placement of the rounds.
I never concentrate on the target myself, i ALWAYS concentrate on the front sight, pretty much where it goes the bullet follows.
just keep the practice going, its getting better for you.
enjoy.
More good advice. Thank you sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.