Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Live round will not eject

pt [OP]
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Live round will not eject

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm. I have shot Winchester White Box for years. I have not had any problem until recently. I was shooting and decided not to finish shooting the magazine. I removed the half filled magazine. I then tried to eject the chambered round and the cartridge jammed. The extractor is engaged on the right side, the ejector is pushing up on the left side but the tip of the round is not clearing the right side of the barrel. The cartridge is jammed between these three points and the slide cannot be retracted fully. The more you pull back on the slide, the more the tip of the bullet jams into the right side of the barrels chamber. I can repeat this problems with other cartridges and even tried some from a different box. I do not have anything but WWB.

Long story short. I initially assumed there was some thing wrong with my pistol. A detailed stripping revealed nothing. I then checked the internet and the SAMMI spec for the overall lenth of a 9mm Luger/parabellem is 29.69 mm. My WWB average about 35 mm overall length. So it is the WWB that is the problem. They are too long for my Taurus. They eject fine when fired but will not eject when unfired. The unfired WWB 9mm eject fine from my Glock and Kel-Tec.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Can someone measure their WWB 9mm to see if I just got a bad batch. I could file down the ejector to shorten it. This will allow the slide to retract further before the ejector engages the cartridge thus allowing the tip to pass by the end of the barrel. I don't want to do this yet, especially if it is just a bad batch of WWB. Unfortunately, I have over 1000 WWB cartridges.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Live round will not eject

I broke in my 24/7 Pro Ds by cycling live wwb, made a nice little pile on my bedspread.Curiosity got the best of me so I calipered three different brands I have on hand.The wwb are the longest of the three, averaging 1.16" oal, whereas the Blazer brass were 1.15" and some mastercraft reloaded lead round nose were 1.13" My wwb translate to 29.64 which is within spec.I sampled one from each of three boxes I have on hand?????
    They came for my guns, they didn't get them, they get a lot of my used ammo, though!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How did you get the live round out of your gun? I have a live round stuck in my PT145 that I can't get out so if you can tell me how that would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I shoot a lot of WWB and when I first got into shooting I had similar problems with my 24/7. The conclusion that I came to was that I wasn't racking the slide hard enough when I cleared a live round. You might want to work it a few times while racking hard and fast. I have a seen a lot of jamming caused by people racking the slide too lightly.
    24/7 Pro
    PT92 AF
    Browning Buckmark
    Springfield EMP
    S&W MP15

pt [OP]
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sbssn: I pried it out with a screwdriver. Sounds dangerous but the cartridge is on an angle. I first checked with a flashlight to make sure the firing pin was not sticking out. I made sure the pistol was pointed in a safe direction. I pried against the bullet (front end) pushing to the right. It scraps the tip of the bullet but did no harm to the barrel.

Vissm: I have tried this many times and have racked the slide as hard and fast as I can. It jams everytime and the only way to get the cartridge out is to pry it in the direction it would normally travel.

Lashlarue: My WWB are measuring 1.368 (or approx 35 mm) That is 5mm over SAMMI specs. If yours are 1.13, they would probably work in my pistol. I must have a bad batch of WWB.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I use a wooden dowel in the muzzle to tap the stuck round out.Never had a chamber so gunked up that the cartridge wouldn't eject, but when I 1st got into reloading I had several squib loads, no powder is just as bad as a double dose, actually worse if you don't notice it and try to fire another round, it puts the k in KABOOM.Luckily I caught all of mine before disaster struck.
    They came for my guns, they didn't get them, they get a lot of my used ammo, though!

Member #
    Michigan, the original God's Country!! (Troll, don'cha know)
    Liked
    4 times

And some people say I'm too particular about my ammo. This is exactly why I don't fire WWB 9mm or any other caliber WWB in my weapons. I had a similar problem with in my PT92, with the addition of the round sometimes winding up tipped so that the primer base of the cartridge was out of the gun like a stove pipe only in reverse. Measuring the rounds showed them to be longer than SAMMI specs. I don't remember how much or exactly what the dimensions were, but I wound up pulling the bullets and using the remains for reloading.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I am not able pull the slide back enough to be confident that the firing pin is not engaged to want to put a dowel down the barrel and tap on the end of a live round. Is there an easy way to check the firing pin?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry I didn't explain fully.Remove the magazine and if possible lock the slide to the rear.If not possible use a screw driver that will fit in the opening, this will keep the slide from unexpectingly moving forward then use a dowel or even a section of cleaning rod and lightly tap the nose of the cartridge, it should dislodge the cartidge and it will drop out where the magazine was...

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24592 times

I would highly advise you to never put anything down the barrel of a pistol that still has a live round in the chamber or stuck in the loading ramp/ejection area. Very bad things can happen if you do that. If the live round will not eject the easiest method to remove it is to put the magazine back in the gun, and take it to the range and shoot the round. Prying it out of the chamber as described above isn't a real good idea either, but if that's the only solution then do so with the gun pointed down range. If you are not a qualified gunsmith, it would always be best to take your pistol to a gunsmith and have him remove the round. It's not worth hurting yourself or others just to save a buck or two.
    nut016 and mwj999 like this.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links