Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Adjusting sights on 9mm 24/7 pro

I've got a 9mm 24/7 with Heinie sights (manufactured 11/0 and it shoots quite a bit to the left. I've shot about 80 rounds through it -- very slow, very careful, VERY still. It's not shooter error. Are these sights adustable? It appears that there's a tiny allen set screw in the top of the front sight.

Has anyone else had this problem? It also seems to shoot a bit low, but that actually might be me and not the gun. I'm probably going to go to my parents' land Saturday where I can shoot outside of the city limits and try to adjust the front sight. Any words of wisdom or advice?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Adjusting sights on 9mm 24/7 pro

If you're going to do any adjusting, you should do it with the rear sight. I tried to do it on the front sight and actually broke a piece of an allen wrench off in the screw. I talked to Taurus and they said to always move the back sight on the 24/7's.

Anyway, I think the rear sight screw uses either a 2mm or 1.5mm allen wrench. You probably need to do something to loosen the loctite they put on the screw at the factory. Heat seems to work best for most. Some have had success using a hair dryer, but I couldn't get mine loose that way. I eventually used a solder gun to heat it up and then it broke loose with the allen wrench. Then you can adjust it left/right as much as you want. You're going to want to loctite it back in place when you get it where you want it.

Hope this helps. Shooting to POA is the biggest problem on the 24/7, IMO. If you get yours to shoot to POA, it's a great gun.
    Taurus 24/7 Pro DS .40
    Taurus Model 85
    Dan Wesson model 14
    S&W model 12
    Colt 1917
    Ruger 22/45 Mark III

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2402 times

Before you go playing with the sights, fire more rounds thru it to wear in the Trigger. I think you'll find that it will start printing to Point of Aim, soon.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

80 rounds? That's almost like not shooting the gun at all! I can almost gaurantee that it is shooter error! Keep shooting!
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm
    Taurus PT1911 .45Cal

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by sbninja
    80 rounds? That's almost like not shooting the gun at all! I can almost gaurantee that it is shooter error! Keep shooting!
    Three other people shot it, including an instructor (retired Marine drill sgt.) and they ALL shot a little low and a lot to the left. The odds seem a little unlikely. Four inches to the left at 10-12 feet? By four different shooters? A little too coincidental, in my opinion.

I haven't measured yet, but it actually looks like the front sight is not 100% centered.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Also, I realized after I bought the gun that it wasn't the "DS" model. Is there any way to de-cock the striker? Or is it "ready to fire" until the magazine is empty?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

These guns tend to shoot all over the place until you get a few hundred rounds through them. Call it a breaking in period.
    Taurus 24/7 Pro .40S&W in stainless
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Col. Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

If you say so. But again, I say it is still shooter error. You say the front sight is not centered- what side is it on? Don't take this the wrong way, but letting three other people including an instructor shoot a new pistol with heinie sights does not prove anything. Shoot it a lot more! Someone shooting 24/7 pro 9mm with heinie sights for the first time will almost alway shoot low and to the left.
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm
    Taurus PT1911 .45Cal

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

1) Get use to the trigger. Be careful of the pull and the trigger break.
    2) Run about 500 rounds through it before doing too much to the pistol. It will change a few times then settle down.

I try to follow these rules with everything I shoot and it makes a HUGE difference. Very seldom do I find something that shoots right out of the box. Once they settle down they are tack drivers (Personal Experience)
    Those who choose security over freedom deserve neither!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I hate to disagree with almost everyone else on the thread, but I had a 24/7 Pro that shot low and left about 4 inches at 15 feet.  I put about 700-800 rounds through it (probably $200-$250 worth of ammo) and saw absolutely no difference at all.  I was like you, very disappointed with POI from the start, and decided to give it some time, and wasted another $175 in ammo.  I adjusted the sights and corrected the left, but I never could get it to shoot anywhere near POA.  I finally sold it, and have since bought two other 24/7 Pro DS's that shot to POA right out of the box, and have ever since.  I've got about 500 rounds through each.

Others have definitely reported a change in POI after some break-in, but this has not been my experience with the 3 I've owned.
    Taurus 24/7 Pro DS .40
    Taurus Model 85
    Dan Wesson model 14
    S&W model 12
    Colt 1917
    Ruger 22/45 Mark III

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links