Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Adjusting sights on 9mm 24/7 pro

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  duotone 24/7 
#1 ·
I've got a 9mm 24/7 with Heinie sights (manufactured 11/08) and it shoots quite a bit to the left. I've shot about 80 rounds through it -- very slow, very careful, VERY still. It's not shooter error. Are these sights adustable? It appears that there's a tiny allen set screw in the top of the front sight.

Has anyone else had this problem? It also seems to shoot a bit low, but that actually might be me and not the gun. I'm probably going to go to my parents' land Saturday where I can shoot outside of the city limits and try to adjust the front sight. Any words of wisdom or advice?

#2 ·
If you're going to do any adjusting, you should do it with the rear sight. I tried to do it on the front sight and actually broke a piece of an allen wrench off in the screw. I talked to Taurus and they said to always move the back sight on the 24/7's.

Anyway, I think the rear sight screw uses either a 2mm or 1.5mm allen wrench. You probably need to do something to loosen the loctite they put on the screw at the factory. Heat seems to work best for most. Some have had success using a hair dryer, but I couldn't get mine loose that way. I eventually used a solder gun to heat it up and then it broke loose with the allen wrench. Then you can adjust it left/right as much as you want. You're going to want to loctite it back in place when you get it where you want it.

Hope this helps. Shooting to POA is the biggest problem on the 24/7, IMO. If you get yours to shoot to POA, it's a great gun.

#3 ·
Before you go playing with the sights, fire more rounds thru it to wear in the Trigger. I think you'll find that it will start printing to Point of Aim, soon.

#5 ·
sbninja said:
80 rounds? That's almost like not shooting the gun at all! I can almost gaurantee that it is shooter error! Keep shooting!
Three other people shot it, including an instructor (retired Marine drill sgt.) and they ALL shot a little low and a lot to the left. The odds seem a little unlikely. Four inches to the left at 10-12 feet? By four different shooters? A little too coincidental, in my opinion.

I haven't measured yet, but it actually looks like the front sight is not 100% centered.

#7 ·
These guns tend to shoot all over the place until you get a few hundred rounds through them. Call it a breaking in period.

#8 ·
If you say so. But again, I say it is still shooter error. You say the front sight is not centered- what side is it on? Don't take this the wrong way, but letting three other people including an instructor shoot a new pistol with heinie sights does not prove anything. Shoot it a lot more! Someone shooting 24/7 pro 9mm with heinie sights for the first time will almost alway shoot low and to the left.

#9 ·
1) Get use to the trigger. Be careful of the pull and the trigger break.
2) Run about 500 rounds through it before doing too much to the pistol. It will change a few times then settle down.

I try to follow these rules with everything I shoot and it makes a HUGE difference. Very seldom do I find something that shoots right out of the box. Once they settle down they are tack drivers (Personal Experience)

#10 ·
I hate to disagree with almost everyone else on the thread, but I had a 24/7 Pro that shot low and left about 4 inches at 15 feet.  I put about 700-800 rounds through it (probably $200-$250 worth of ammo) and saw absolutely no difference at all.  I was like you, very disappointed with POI from the start, and decided to give it some time, and wasted another $175 in ammo.  I adjusted the sights and corrected the left, but I never could get it to shoot anywhere near POA.  I finally sold it, and have since bought two other 24/7 Pro DS's that shot to POA right out of the box, and have ever since.  I've got about 500 rounds through each.

Others have definitely reported a change in POI after some break-in, but this has not been my experience with the 3 I've owned.

#11 ·
My 24/7 shot low and to the left until I put a couple hundred rounds through it as well. You really should see if it straightens out. The first thing I thought was it needed adjusting too, but the more I shot it, the better it seemed to hit it's target. I don't think these guys will steer you wrong with bad advice.

#12 ·
duotone 24/7 said:
Also, I realized after I bought the gun that it wasn't the "DS" model. Is there any way to de-cock the striker? Or is it "ready to fire" until the magazine is empty?
Unless it is a Pro DS Model, you cannot decock the Striker.

#13 ·
An allen wrench released the screw on both sights (both of them different sizes, oddly enough) and after about 20 rounds I've got it shooting dead center...still a little low, but I'll attribute that to the fact that this is my first experience with Heine sights.

If, after 500 rounds, it starts shooting to the right, I'll just move the front sight back to where it was. It WAS a bit off center, visibly to the right of center of the top of the slide.

#14 ·
I've had similar issues - low and to the left on a 9mm 24/7 Pro OSS DS. After about 200 rounds I tried adjusting the rear sight - when I tightened the set screw, the sight moved back where it was. I figured there must be a hole under the set screw "steering" the sight back. I tried the front sight and had success with it staying put. Honestly, both sights are slightly left of center to my eyes, but they're lined up with each other now and 100 rounds later, the gun is shooting straight. Still low, though. Hopefully things will improve with further break-in. I hope so, as it's aggrivating to have to aim high to hit the target.

Is there anything the factory can do if it doesn't improve after 500 rounds or so?

#15 ·
LWhite said:
Is there anything the factory can do if it doesn't improve after 500 rounds or so?
Not really. I expect your 24/7's trigger will wear in very nicely as the triggers on both of my 24/7's have, and you will be printing to Point of Aim, soon.

#16 ·
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but boy do I feel lucky. I don't have any shooting low or left or right. I'm not the best shooter, all my training is from the military (Marines), trained in everything, master of none. But I guess I just got lucky. I was always taught to maticulously study your shooting habit, that 99% percent of the time the problem is the shooter, not the weapon. I know there are the exceptions though! I'm shooting a 24/7 Pro C DS .40cal up to 25yds at an indoor range and can still keep good tight groups even at that distance. Like I said, I'm so lucky that I got a good one.

Anyway, enjoy I'm sure it will get better for you as you continue to put rounds through it and practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.