Taurus Firearm Forum banner

After cleaning out the striker channel/firing pin hole, should you apply lube?

• No lube at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just a touch of oil

• Give it a good squirt

• I like voting

Striker Channel - Lube or No Lube

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Qwiks draw 
#1 ·
I've been reading these boards since I picked up my 24/7, and one of the few conflicting pieces of advice I see given is whether or not you should lube the striker channel. Everyone seems in favor of hosing it down with some gunscrubber or other cleaner (especially with a new gun), but then opinions seem to vary as to what to do after that. So, I wanted to get a feel for what people think about this.

#2 ·
Absolutely no lube, but can be cleaned.

Bone dry.

Lubrication on the firing pin will impede the proper operation of the firearm. It's in the manual.

On the back where the spring is however, a little light lube is okay I think.

Just keep it bone dry inside the striker channel.

#3 ·
I use a dry lubricant in the firing pin channel. Lets things slide easily, but not get gunked up.

Although the manual does say to keep it dry.

#4 ·
Gunscrubber is a heavy degreaser and will remove that nasty packing grease that they ship your gun in. Make sure you use the polymer safe stuff there are two kinds.

Any lube on the stiker that you use if at all should be at the vary back of the striker by the spring and a vary small amount at that. IMO

Now the part that starts all the argument I use Breakfree CLP as a lube and thats my preference. now the pile on as to whats the best. Just make sure you clean your gun really good the first time. and then clean it again. this will reduce your problems by a lot. Good luck

#10 ·
The reason for nor lubing is for fit and function relaibility. Various types of debris will get into the channel and can clog the channel when the gun is needed most.

Lubes attract and hold on to debris of all kinds more so than if there is no lube at all.

Some lubes leave a deposit of goo after rounds are fired that turns into a hard one that is hard to remove. This either impedes the striker or can stop it altogether.

Why take the chance of that going wrong? Cleaning the deposits out will be hard and time consuming. Or when the gun is needed most to protect the person's life or other lives the gun will fail to funcion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.